Search results

1. o_rod

Just got my first turntable, beginner's advice...

Took the back cover off and cleaned up the power button. It was the internal switch that was dirty so that works like new now. The stylus literally has no diamond/needle left on it, and it looks neglected. I'm going to order a new cartridge for it as I plan to use it long term. Pumped to get...
  2. o_rod

Ya the stylus is completely dead, not sure if I should just get a new cartridge as well, any chances a stylus that looks like that could cause damage to other components?
  3. o_rod

Wow! Thanks guys, this is a wealth of information! Between the posts here and the manual I have a good understanding of where to start. Upon a closer look, my stylus looks like it needs replacing, I'm also not sure what cartridge I have, maybe this will help? My DJ buddy is going to lend...
  4. o_rod

Just downloaded some manuals from the site you mentioned and it answered all my questions and then some! Thanks.
  5. o_rod

Yes, this is a little embarrassing to admit, but I've never owned a turntable... ever, don't even know how to use one! A few days ago I went to a friends of a friends house who is a passed DJ. His record collection was, best word, complete. He had everything and for the first time I had the...
  6. o_rod

Rescued these from certain death!

Looks like i found a winner! https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc28ft-8-1-1-8-silk-dome-truncated-tweeter--275-076 Impedance/fs/sensitivity should put these pretty close to the originals. Mounting cutout is the same and 2 out of the 4 screw holes match.
  7. o_rod

Pioneer SX-1980

12lbs heavier than my 1250... yup, that's fuggin' heavy!! :eek:
  8. o_rod

Hard to see in the picture but half the dome is gone on that one, ripped in half. I tried to straighten out what was left. What your seeing is the cotton that's behind the dome. The other tweeter, the dome is literally completely ripped off, nothing left.
  9. o_rod

I will do my best to get them back to original. The tweeters show proper resistance and function, i may experiment with repairing the domes for fun. Curious how the bipole will sound, going to try them in my large rec room as I've heard that's the best to get the full effect.
  10. o_rod

Didn't know HFE even existed until now! what a resource that is, thanks! Looks like the tweeter is quite unique, I'll keep my eye out for replacements, looks like someone literally jammed their thumb into each one completely removing the whole titanium dome, ugh...
  11. o_rod

These were 20 feet away from making it to the land fill... Not sure how they perform or if they're worth the effort but they seem well engineered. Mirage M990's, All grills in tact, woofers function, got some new foam for the rear bi pole 5 incher on the way. Rear speaker is actually the...
  12. o_rod

Cerwin Vega, anyone compare VS-150 /RE-38 vs D-9's?

I personally liked the tweeter in the AT-15's more than the horns in my D9's. Too forward for my tastes, i listen to them off axis and eq'd. Build quality is pretty good on the D9 but not as good as my CV 300se's.
  13. o_rod

Custom B&W 801 Stands DIY

That's where the putty comes in. A bare cut edge will have a different paint adhesion than the finished face. Cover the cut edge with putty, blend it, then sand. I never had luck with just primer, but thats just me.
  14. o_rod

Custom B&W 801 Stands DIY

Use a solvent based primer, enamel or lacquer, no water based. Try not to soak it too much, light coats, also drywall putty can be used to clean up edges/corners nicely. You can make painted mdf look really smooth with a bit of prep. 801's are sweet! :thumbsup:
  15. o_rod

Heresey low end help

No amount of stuffing will provide any significant change in the low end. They just weren't designed to go low... When I auditioned a set, I thought maybe the woofers were out of phase, but nope :dunno: Lots of midrange punch though!
  16. o_rod

KAPPA 7 FIND!!!

Very cool find! What's that material over the mid? Or is it a grill, kinda hard to tell. Have fun! :bigok:
  17. o_rod

My recent impulse buy...

I believe they were made from '81 to '83, not sure if that constitutes a short production run as far as speakers go... Vintage equipment always amazes me when they can survive 35+ years and remain in excellent condition.
  18. o_rod

My recent impulse buy...

Thanks guys, I'll move them around, wasn't sure which was left or right lol They have been refoamed a few years ago so that'll be one less thing to worry about. Only issue is a small hole in one of the grills, gonna do that shortly. Going to deox the pots and check out the crossovers when time...
  19. o_rod

My recent impulse buy...

Thought I'd share my most recent purchase. I'm certainly not as much of an audio connoisseur as many of you are, I usually hunt down cheap audio bargains, rebuild them and make due with what I have on a meager budget, rarely splurging on this hobby... until I spotted these on a classifieds...
  20. o_rod

Lookinh for a cheap introduction into tube amps...

What sparked my interest in tube amps was a bit of a fluke. I did a job for AC DC's amp technician who manufactures his own brand of amps, wizard. After mentioning my vintage audio hobby, he showed me his shop and building process of these tube amplifiers that range from a few watts to multiple...
  21. o_rod

Awesome, thanks for the reading material, I'll scratch that idea and go hunting for a console. I'm very DIY oriented so I like this idea...
  22. o_rod

Hey gents, Never ventured into this area of audiokarma, but I have always been interested in trying a tube amp. Price has always been the issue for me but I've started searching for old 50's am/fm radios that used tube amps. One in particular struck me as quite interesting that's local, it has...
  23. o_rod

Speaker ID. White Cone of Death!!!!

:rflmao:Looks like scarface sneezed all over them!
  24. o_rod

Cerwin Vega fans: D9 vs AT-15s?

I have a set of D9's and I love the sound. I can attest to the clinical horn tweeter though, at sane volume levels its not an issue, i find it revealing, like a B&W metal tweet. When I put the wattage to them though (200WPC)I usually attenuate the highs 2.5db, or they can get a bit too foward...
Back
Top Bottom