Search results

1. tmad40blue

What to do with that speaker cabinet...

Certainly looks a lot better than all the white plastic ones :thumbsup:
  2. tmad40blue

Specs on Ruark Acoustics Paladins

@ChrisbC Ruark is still around, you might try giving them a call or sending them an email at their website: http://www.ruark.co.uk/
  3. tmad40blue

My Advents Finally Sound good !!!!!!!

Some people might call this "cheating" by putting them on the floor and using the listening space to your advantage to boost the apparent low frequency response... I say, if it sounds good, it is good! :thumbsup:
  4. tmad40blue

yamaha NS-200Ma

@memustbefree DO NOT play speakers with deteriorated woofer surrounds!!! You are setting yourself up for disaster, that is a one-way ticket to permanently ruining the woofers. You need to replace the foam surrounds (called "refoaming") of the woofers before you listen to them again. There are...
  5. tmad40blue

tmad's computer setup

Oops. I believe I meant to post this in the "Member's Systems" subforum. If someone could moderate this and move it to the appropriate location then that would be great, thanks in advance.
  6. tmad40blue

tmad's computer setup

Been wanting to post this for a while. Finally got the time to take some decent photos. Speakers: JBL LSR-2325P (bought from AK's own @dew042 a few years ago) Headphones: AKG K702 (made in Austria) Headphone amp: Little Dot MkII w/ stock tubes (so far...) DAC: FiiO D03K Taishan w/ modded opamp...
  7. tmad40blue

Speaker connection

Hey, a father-son operation! I'm "Son" and @Charles218 is "Father" in our own one of those. I like it! Sounds like it's time to open 'er up! Most likely there's just a nut+washer combo on the other side of the post that got a little too loose, OR it's just that the red plastic part of the post...
  8. tmad40blue

Speaker connection

Ouch... The red terminal is broken off, so unless you replace it, you're not going to be hooking up a set of regular speaker wires to that. Is the other speaker in the pair in similar condition? You can still hook up a stereo (read: both channels go through one wire) 1/4-inch cable to the...
  9. tmad40blue

AR4 speakers grab

Some of the original AR caps had a 20% tolerance! You're fine. Enjoy :thumbsup:
  10. tmad40blue

Yea new to me AR2ax speakers

The 2 series has an interesting quality to it that I quite like. It's not the same as a 3, but IMO it performs better in some ways. Great find, will be awaiting your restoration progress posts. Sounds like you've got it covered as far as electrically restoring them, but you're free to reference...
  11. tmad40blue

AR-12 Restoration & Pics

These are turning out great Glenn, keep up the good work on this project :lurk: I haven't ever heard any of the Teledyne-era AR's myself, but I know that they do have a lot of fans.
  12. tmad40blue

AR3a cloth surround dope

Beautiful speakers, and a pair of original cloth surround 3a woofers too! I think you already know the answer to your own question - you want to "do it right" and have everything in matching black... so you are going to wait for the black sealant to be back in stock, right? :idea: Your...
  13. tmad40blue

Restoration newbie here with a BIG score :-)

@Markoneswift The basket is what holds everything else in place (in a basic sense). This image should help you out.
  14. tmad40blue

My ar3a find....

@harry398 Glad you're enjoying your "new" speakers. From your pictures I can see that they have the original capacitors - yes, those huge wax boxes that are mounted to the cabinets with huge metal brackets are capacitors! If you're up for it and don't mind bringing your speakers a little...
  15. tmad40blue

Hi! Looks like the photos are back up - the place where they're hosted had a hiccup. I'm...

Hi! Looks like the photos are back up - the place where they're hosted had a hiccup. I'm planning on moving them to my own webserver soon anyway, but for now everything looks good.
  16. tmad40blue

Looking for info on '60's speakers

Certainly never seen these before! I'd assume that they're pretty rare. Looks like SEAS formed a joint venture with someone else named KSC and produced this - but that's all original-generation SEAS stuff, and it'll likely be fantastic given the right care. Replacing the capacitors is a very...
  17. tmad40blue

EV 12" drivers with styrofoam cones?

Those styrofoam drivers are pretty cool! They were more popular in EV's bigger low frequency drivers of the day - I've seen a few 18-inch ones around. It helps that I live in Michigan, where EV was based out of for decades - there has been some pretty interesting EV stuff that's showed up on the...
  18. tmad40blue

My ar3a find....

Those are in beautiful shape! You've really made the cabinets look great again. At one point we had 6 pairs with the original cloth-surround/alnico-magnet woofers... that was fun =) That Classic Speaker Pages guide is top notch. Keep in mind that the AR-3a is a 4 ohm speaker. Make sure your...
  19. tmad40blue

EPI 100's Vs AR-4X's

Disclaimer, I am a biased AR-lover :P Both speakers are very good at different things. The AR-4x gives the classic "rolled off" New England sound, and is fantastic for vocal jazz and chamber/orchestral. The inverted tweeters used in EPI, Epicure, Genesis, etc. speakers are just sublime, though...
  20. tmad40blue

Klipsch KG4 passive radiator repair

I actually have a pair of KG4's that had the same issue when I first got them - a small separation (1 inch or so) of the surround from the radiator. Evenly-applied contact cement did the trick.
  21. tmad40blue

Powered speakers...who knew?

I also have the older LSR-2325's. Fantastic speakers, especially with tubes in the circuit.
  22. tmad40blue

AR3a/2a alternative?

Vintage KLH is a definite competitor to a lot of AR stuff... but IMO there isn't much that will beat the AR-3a sound. It's just that distinct, and just that good. Lots of fantastic suggestions have been offered already. I can also recommend Classic Speaker Pages as a good place to go for this...
  23. tmad40blue

AKG Quincy Jones on sale

I've had mine since 2011. They're Austrian-made, not the new (cheaper, less comfortable, prone to build quality issues) Chinese-made ones. I wouldn't trade them for much of anything else. I have them paired with my Little Dot MkIII and they shine on pretty much anything.
  24. tmad40blue

My first maggies

Nice find! Our MG-I Improved's are still waiting for some TLC; one of the tweeter circuits is out yet again :( As Drugolf suggested, I would try some new capacitors - if nobody has replaced them, then what's in there from the factory is definitely not going to perform very well...
  25. tmad40blue

New speakers - in heaven...

Some of us are still little ones! Just-turned-22 and I'm still lurking around AK :) I would really like to own/hear some Paradigms. I have never done so. Glad you're enjoying yours as much as you are.
Back
Top Bottom