Search results

1. M

Do you accept phone calls from strangers?

A few years ago, I was getting surveys about laboratory instrumentation at work. They seemed to think I was the Consumer Reports of lab instruments, asking me about how the instruments I used compared to other brands. A good laboratory technician takes care of his instruments, so they last a...
  2. M

I just received 2 calls from the same unknown number in the last few minutes. The first time, I just let it ring. No message left. The second time, I picked up the phone and immediately hung up. I then put them on the CenturyLink block list. Unfortunately, I am only allowed 12 or so blocked...
  3. M

That's one call, and two mailings too many. Your exemption from the Do Not Call list should be taken away.
  4. M

On the rare occasions that I have answered a call I do not recognize, because there was a chance it was someone I needed to speak to, it has turned out to be a telemarketer. The Do Not Call list needs to be expanded to include non-profits, political calls, and surveys. We also need a way to...
  5. M

Silverfish? Anyone?

Silverfish need a damp, humid environment. Control them by reducing moisture and humidity.
  6. M

Don't you hate it when your car thinks you've stolen it?

I had a1997 Pontiac Grand Am with that feature. I enabled it only because I was taking a graduate workshop in Akron. After I sold the car, I went back to the salesman and told him the code so that the next buyer would have it. Had I thought about it before I sold the car, I would have...
  7. M

Chris Thile : Prairie Home Companion... fell off my radar ... your opinion?

Prairie Home Companion was an October 2016 rerun last night. John Hodgman had to explain to the audience how they were supposed to sing along with him. He said "Chris Thile hasn't broken you in yet." A couple of weeks ago, the audience was singing along with Chris as he covered some Tom Petty...
  8. M

So, when did they stop putting spare tires in cars?

I could not find a list of vehicles with full-sized spares. All I could find is a statement that most pickup trucks and large SUVs have full-sized spares. My 2014 Toyota Tacoma has a full-sized spare. Because it is under the bed, it gets exposed to dirt and salt, and is a hassle to drop down...
  9. M

Chris Thile : Prairie Home Companion... fell off my radar ... your opinion?

I never had the opportunity to hear Franz Liszt play the piano, nor did I ever hear Niccolo Paganini play the violin. Being able to hear Chris Thile play the mandolin makes up for it. There was a thread on another forum where the poster wished they would cancel Prairie Home Companion now that...
  10. M

What will become of aftermarket car stereos?

I replaced the stereo in my 2014 Toyota Tacoma with a used 2014 Tacoma stereo with HD radio, so I could listen to classical music. After I figured out the under dash antenna that came with the radio was the proper one for navigation, I later replaced that radio with a used 2015 Tacoma radio...
  11. M

Does Anyone here NOT own a Television?

Good point. I like to watch Prairie Home Companion with Chris Thile on the computer when they have a live broadcast. Otherwise, I listen to it on the radio.
  12. M

The only radio station I listened to

If you want music on one of the WKSU-FM stations, then you need an HD radio. Folk Alley is on HD2, while classical is on HD3. I bought a used Toyota HD radio for my Tacoma so that I could listen to classical music; since upgraded to a used Toyota HD radio with navigation. I also have an HD...
  13. M

Desktop towers with external SCSI ports?

Here is a diagram that explains the various PCI cards and slots:
  14. M

Do you still read newspaper?

In all fairness, I did find my part-time job in the Help Wanted section of the local newspaper. It had been a long time since I had read that part of the newspaper, so after I retired I was shocked by how small it was. Some ads appear on Indeed.com, but I think many companies only advertise on...
  15. M

At my former job, one of my much younger coworkers said that when my generation dies off, the newspapers will die with us, because her generation does not read the newspaper.
  16. M

Yes, I subscribe, but it gives me the uncomfortable feeling that my subscription money is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. The newspaper neither reflects my views nor the majority of the views in this region. My mother also has a subscription. When she moved from assisted living to the...
  17. M

The ads at top and bottom of the page are screwing with me again

I have never really had any trouble with Audiokarma. I suspect these complaints are due to malware on the user's computer, not something from Audiokarma.
  18. M

Desktop towers with external SCSI ports?

What operating system are you planning to use?
  19. M

It's 70 Degrees Outside

Buildings tend to be 4-5 Degrees F warmer than the outside. They also lag in heating up and cooling down as the outside temperature changes.
  20. M

Mancave Rebuild after Sewer Flood

I had a backflow valve installed when I was hooked up to the City sewage system. According to the elevation plans, the manhole in my lower field is the low point of the system, so a sewage backup should pop the manhole cover and flood the field instead of my basement. I still thought it was a...
  21. M

Coping with Tinnitus

I have always been obsessed with quiet environments. In fact, I have added extra insulation to automobiles, put quieter mufflers on lawn mowers, weatherstripped exterior doors, etc. I even have a fond memory of riding in a 1972 Buick Electra 225, and enjoying the splendid quietness of the...
  22. M

Things you learn the hard way. Please contribute.

Closely related to this: I was talking to the Director of Administration some years ago. We had replaced the original mild steel lime slakers and troughs with stainless steel. I suggested that stainless steel water towers would save money over time due to the reduction in maintenance costs...
  23. M

Riddle me this, Batman.

I just put a letter in the mail to my Congress Representative urging him to pass legislation that would extend the Do Not Call List to non-profits, political calls, and surveys. I also asked that Caller ID Spoofing rules be enforced, and to require a proper business name on the display.
  24. M

Riddle me this, Batman.

The water and sewer organizations, WEF & AWWA, are notorious for sending membership renewals to people who have have not worked at the water & sewer plants for years, even decades. About 2 years before my retirement, I sent in my renewals with no money, but with a note explaining that I was...
  25. M

Does Anyone here NOT own a Television?

I watched my share of television when I was growing up. We did not have a color television until I was in high school (early 1970s). As a result, the horse of a different color scene in The Wizard of Oz went completely over my head. However, I never bothered to buy a television once I moved...
Back
Top Bottom