Search results

1. JRSBat

Can you use an amp's variable output to connect to a tape deck input?

I never tried it. After all of the money I sunk into the Nak I didn't want to risk messing it up. I decided to sell the Nak and purchase an analog-to-digital converter to record LPs. I bought the PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter. It does a pretty good job. I liked the Nak but money became an...
  2. JRSBat

What turntable are you drooling over today (with no means or possibilities to buy)

Simple beauty. Break a drink bottle on the audio rack with no effect on the playing album. High tech direct drive that always maintains perfect speed. Never be able to afford but nice to think about.
  3. JRSBat

VPI Turntable Owners Thread

I have the periphery clamp - always give the clamp/platter a little push to help it get to speed. Otherwise, I get the chirp chirp from the belt slipping.
  4. JRSBat

CD's in the Car

My 2004 Subaru Forester GT has a premium sound system with only a CD player. No direct way to hook up a phone or a memory drive. The 2004 GT was built on a WRX platform. The car is so fun to drive I'll keep it until it dies or I do. Music (forgive me) takes a back seat.
  5. JRSBat

Nobsound turntable, speaker, etc. spring isolation product

Have they made a difference? Just curious on how they are working for you.
  6. JRSBat

I was thinking about making some sort of homemade spring suspension for the turntable platform. Before I spent the time, I searched Amazon to see what popped up. When I came across these spring feet I gave them a try. They worked so well I thought others might be interested. I searched AK...
  7. JRSBat

I made the platform (and most of my audio rack) from spalted maple boards I had in my shop. I added some scrap cherry in the middle just in case it might help offset vibration from the other wood. All the wood came from trees that had to be taken down in our back yard.
  8. JRSBat

Sorry, that was a different reviewer. I'd like to know the answer too.
  9. JRSBat

FWIW - Your results might vary! I saw the Nobsound Silver Aluminum Spring isolation feet (Douk Audio) on Amazon for $32 before discount. At that price I gave them a try. I'm using them to isolate my turntable platform. They worked really well! No more loud thumps from the turntable if...
  10. JRSBat

Highest-end gear you've found at a thrift

I found a Denon DVD 2910 SACD,CD universal player for around $9. It was in perfect condition. I bought an OEM remote online - darn thing cost more than the player. I used both for years until I traded them in to PS Audio to buy a refurbished PerfectWave Transport. PSA gave me a trade-in...
  11. JRSBat

They say a picture paints a thousand words.

I installed the Nobsound springs in my turntable stand a couple days ago. Before, I had tried heavy wooden platform, expensive VPI feet, etc. with some Herbie's heavy tenderfeet supporting the platform. The tenderfeet did not stop heavy vibrations. If you tapped anywhere on my equipment stand...
  12. JRSBat

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Initially, I was using the Soundsmith MCP2 phono preamp with variable loading. It wasn't marked in between 500 and 1000 ohms. I kept the setting somewhere in the 600 or 800 range - but not sure without markings. The Soundsmith amp sounded fantastic. Now I am using a PS Audio NuWave Phono...
  13. JRSBat

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Very nice! Looks a lot better than the product pics on SS website. My older Paua/VPI table was shown in a lot of the website's pics - assume my pics will come down in favor of yours. :) Nope - just checked. Mine are already taken down in favor of the new cartridge product pics. If you want...
  14. JRSBat

The album that changed your life, Do you have one?

Born to Run blew me away. It was the first time I heard essentially a rock n roll orchestra. The music was powerful and complex. The lyrics were poetry.
  15. JRSBat

DIY Magic Eraser Holder for Turntables

Prior to getting a periphery ring for my VPI I made a stand for my Onzow stylus cleaner. Once I got the ring I couldn't use the Onzow stand so now it sits in the corner. I followed Soundsmith's advice. I put a ball of Blu-Tak on a thin piece of wood so it would work with the ring. I added...
  16. JRSBat

Artists paint brush for stylus cleaning

You should be OK with a soft brush. I've been using Soundsmith cartridges for years. Here are SoundSmith's cleaning brush recommendations. I just cut and pasted the info from their instructions (I did not add the big letters). If you don’t have a good VERY SOFT brush, purchase a WATERCOLOR...
  17. JRSBat

Let's see your home made speaker stands, I'm going to build some.

Made these when I had my Advents. I filled the center area with kitty litter to give some weight and stability. Dayton spikes at the corners. Probably were too short - didn't know much then. I sold my Advents years ago - the stands just hold up various items these days.
  18. JRSBat

Class D Amplifier Anyone?

I switched from tubes to Class D amps last summer. Technically, my 60+ watt tube amp should have driven my Focal speakers. However, I always felt the speakers needed more power to really open up. The new Class D amps did that - in spades. The Focals sound better than ever. PS Audio's...
  19. JRSBat

What's the longest you've owned a piece of gear?

Only item left from my first system - Harman Kardon 330C. I bought it new in 1976. It started having issue around 5 years ago. It's been in a box ever since. Hate to let it go. I'll get it repaired some day.....
  20. JRSBat

Heavy speakers on a wooden floor, how to do this?

You could try using Herbie's gliders https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider under the spikes. They help with sound as well as help with moving speakers. You still need to be careful how you move the speakers so...
  21. JRSBat

Am I the only one who can't stand Paul McGowan?

Right? I thought all chickens are vegetarians so why add the adjective? Now, if we were talking about boneless chickens......
  22. JRSBat

Am I the only one who can't stand Paul McGowan?

I like Paul's videos. Maybe not the first 1/4 - he usually rambles a bit before getting to the point. Many times I just move past that part to get to the real message. He often admits how much he rambles and how much he irritates some people with his generalized answers. He also mentions...
  23. JRSBat

How many Watts are your main amps?

PS Audio M700 monoblocks. 350 wpc @ 8 ohms, 700 wpc @ 4 ohms
  24. JRSBat

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

HC 330C Ad 1 by JRSBat posted Mar 5, 2019 at 11:24 PM
Back
Top Bottom