Search results

1. grey

Russian SKS rejecting magazines

It's a 1952 model. I'm fairly certain that this no-name 30 (spot welded) magazine is the same one that I used to test fire it long ago. I remember it being a PITA to put back in too. Now I can't even get it close to grabbing the release. I have another U.S.A. Magazines brand 30 that will seat...
  2. grey

White damping paste?

These are power converters for an RV and I'm looking for this white material on the components. Any known problems with it as it ages?
  3. grey

Building diaphragmatic absorbers for sub to floor decoupling?

Has anyone attempted this? Dennis starts in on this thing at ~1:00 min.
  4. grey

grey's lobotomy - I didn't do your 80's and 90's

I will do my best to spin the tunes that is missing from this era.
  5. grey

Expensive electrolytic camp fire

This triple power supply came out of a late 80's machine that was a new addition to my shop. I had a whiff of a familiar sweet aroma just as it was finishing one job. I popped open the motion control cabinet and the smell was very strong. After a few seconds, I noticed a faint glow. Hit...
  6. grey

Nice collection of JBL tech documents and articles

I found this many years ago and I can't believe it's still there. http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/JBL/Documenti tecnici/FileList.html All of the documents can be found in a .zip file HERE
  7. grey

Urei 6290 6260 6230 6215 repairs and modifications

I'm starting to form some ideas on modifications after I've done some mild repairs. I have a few of them that stay on 24/7. Two of them are going to be used for efficient midrange drivers. What do you think about them? What are your experiences? 6200 series specs 6260 6230 service manual 6290...
  8. grey

Scored another smoker

This one needs some light repairs and refinishing. It will be going to a younger family member. I'm literally passing the torch.:D These are made in Houston by Tejas. This one is out of stock and next size up is $2600:eek: https://tejassmokers.com/Smoker-Pits/1628-Smoker-BBQ-Pit/697/37
  9. grey

New office system!

I found these cabaret cabinets for sale that were not so local. The upper drivers were already wasted or missing. The guy was very cool and said he would hang onto them for me. I hate working with wood and I've been looking for some e145 drivers, so it was a perfect situation. I've had all of...
  10. grey

Some deep South dishes and misc. stuff

I started collecting pictures of some of the food that happens in and around my place. Smoked baby back ribs from some pre-party cooking. You can't get em' like this anywhere else. Cajun stuffed pork chop plate from Zydeco Louisiana diner in downtown Houston. I'm going to try to replicate...
  11. grey

Need help with tube testing in Houston

I hope everyone is doing ok with the recent round of disasters across the South. I don't know if this is the right place to ask. I need to rent or borrow a tester. Paid labor or services exchanged works too. Just any way I can get it done and move on with my life:) I have no interest in owning...
  12. grey

Flux cleanup help

I'm diving into a massive amount of projects in the near future. All of the projected processes include existing lead based solder rework with Kester 44. The new assemblies get Kester 44 as well. My past projects have been one time builds and small rework with pure IPA with q-tips for rosin...
  13. grey

USB to Coax/AES with Emotiva XDA-2?

Has anyone here experimented with using a USB converter for this DAC or a similar DAC? The Emotiva has an asyncronous USB input and uses the same Cmedia drivers as Schitt. Beyond that, I don't know much about it. I've been eyeballing various converters, but wanted to get some feedback from AK...
  14. grey

Walked away from a pair of JBL 4343B

I sat there and thought about what American classics they are. Like a Marantz 500 or a big block Corvette. :drool: I picked up on the listing just a few minutes after they appeared while looking for a part. Just 3hrs away.:scratch2: It took some time for reality to set in. I can't fit in...
  15. grey

Maintenance charger on 12v lead acid batteries

I bought a cheap float charger for my tractor and it was reading 14.05v after a few days. That seems way too high for a float. I have a more expensive float charger on a vehicle that doesn't get out much. I will check that one later on. What products and charging guidelines have you found...
  16. grey

Efficient speakers

Are they one of the ingredients for the ultimate in the hi-fi experience?
  17. grey

ESR meter. Just do it.

I've finally ordered a "blue esr meter" kit. An esr meter has been on the want list for some time. I had it built and testing known good parts within two evenings. Last night I had a chance to really use it. The results are outstanding. In a past life I went to school for electronics(I've forgot...
  18. grey

Black pile o' stuff from the 90's

Did the black gear from the 90's do everything wrong? I guess it depends on who you ask. I'm certainly happy. Speakers: JBL 250Ti LE This was a local barter town deal. Can I just say that barter town and the local AK member is awesome? They are fully functional after very little work. Neutral...
  19. grey

A/C techs - heat pack wiring?

I've landed a decent deal on a package unit and want to use my existing 60A circuit only. The unit appears to be set up for dual 40A circuits with the use the heat pack. Model: Goodman GPC1342H41C* with HKR-10 heat pack These are some of the parts that I'm looking at to convert to a...
  20. grey

cdfac is a goodfella

Received a nicely organized package in the mail. There are no issues at all with the items. Flawless exchange. :thmbsp:
  21. grey

guinness black

http://www.guinness.com/en-us/guinness-black-lager.html This is becoming one of my favorites. It's decent room temp. or cold. I'm working another 6/10 week so I'm treating myself well.
  22. grey

Dedicated amp for a horn driver

What would you do for this? Diy is not out of the question. It's a 2in out driver covering 1200Hz to 7K.
  23. grey

anotherhobby is good people

Received item and it was better condition than expected.
  24. grey

Why does Mazzy Star sound so good?

Their music seems to have freakishly good imaging. How did they do this?
  25. grey

Do you want to be done or do you want to continue?

I've read several posts that seem to lean towards an ultimate system goal and then you have those that like to tinker with everything. I seem to identify each group and respect each decision. Where are you at?
Back
Top Bottom