Search results

1. J

JBL 4311 Based Home Theater Help Needed

Not 6 by 8, but I went with a JBL 4408 as a center with my 4311's.
  2. J

cleaning a big screen Sony?

50% distilled water and 50% white vinegar with a microfiber cloth. Best I've tried.
  3. J

Vann L Speakerworks Quartet

If I hadn't already had John working on my JBL 4311's, I would have seriously considered the Quartets. I love my JBL's, but the Quartets sounded crazy good.
  4. J

2012 BMW X5 turbo; disappointed

Jeremy Clarkson has referred to the X5 as "stupid." I shopped all these competing crossovers in the last few months. I liked the Audi Q5 but German reliability? Ugg. Both the Acura and Toyota Highlander were boats and more seats than I needed. The Nissan Murano was tempting for the price...
  5. J

Who provides the best speaker repair services?

http://www.vanlspeakerworks.com/
  6. J

Irish surname roll call

It's McGreevy, supposed a corruption of the original MacRiabhaigh. Sorry I'm late to the party.
  7. J

e-Cigarettes - Stop Smoking!

Apollo Elite arrived yesterday and I must say it's not half bad. It's a little harsh (maybe I should have ordered the light, instead of the medium) but I could see getting used to it as a way to cut back on smoking. The one thing I miss is not having an analog way of telling me when I'm...
  8. J

dynamic range expanders

Still have this boxed up in the basement but it hasn't been a part of my system for years: Model 180 Dimensional Sonic Localizer The Model Dimensional Sonic Localizer had essentially the same circuit as the "Ambience" circuit in the 2000 preamp. It put a variable amount of L-R on one...
  9. J

e-Cigarettes - Stop Smoking!

Komi, Based on your recommendation, I'm considering the Apollo Extreme Kit. As I'm rather new to cartomizers and such, what else should I be ordering to get me started. (As a matter of fact, I don't even know what a cartomizer is or how long it lasts.) Thanks.
  10. J

American Pickers

I don't care what you say; none of these shows hold a candle to Hard Core Pawn. The sellers have a sense of entitlement that is simply unbelievable. (And someone should point out to the owner's son that maybe diamond studs don't accentuate your appearance when your ears stick out that far.)
  11. J

Sherwood RX-4109 Receiver

I now own both of them, but for non-critical listening. The Sherwood is set up with my computer and the Onkyo is part of a bedroom system (TV, radio and cd's.) Not exactly the most challenging of situations but I've been pleased with both of them. One thing I have noticed is that Onkyo...
  12. J

HELP....I need someboday !! Beatles LP collectibility.

Funny this subject came up. I went to a record show here in Chicago yesterday and walked out with a little over $300 for a number of imported records I've had sitting in the closet for years. Popsike wasn't perfert but it told me I was getting reasonable prices.
  13. J

HELP....I need someboday !! Beatles LP collectibility.

This will tell you everything you need to know as far as pricing: http://www.popsike.com/index.html
  14. J

breaking down and buying a plasma

You also might want to look at Buy.com. It got my 46-inch Viera there in February--couple of hundred less than Amazon and free shipping.
  15. J

NetFlix prices way up

Not to be a contrarian, but I never stream so this new option actually saves me money.
  16. J

Favorite Movie Scores

Tom, you're even more of a movie geek than I am but I would add: Elmer Bernstein's Walk On The Wild Side Alfred Newman's Mark of Zorro. (They even used his score in the lamentable tv remake with Frank Langella.) The Egyptian, credited to both Alfred Newman and Bernard Herrman...
  17. J

My JBL's LOVE Howards!!!

I got a bottle from Amazon to use on my 4311's and now I've seen it in at least 5 antique shops, as well as numerous antique shows. Absolutely fabulous stuff.
  18. J

My Goodwill JBL 4412 are back from rehab!!

Congrats. I got my 4311's back from the shop a few weeks ago and they sound as good as they did when I bought them 30-plus years ago.
  19. J

Are vintage JBL suitable for surround system?

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with a pair of 4311's as the left and right and a 4408 for the center. I know the 4408 is a near-field monitor but that hasn't seemed to have any affect on the sound.
  20. J

Ten Commandments on blu-ray

You're right, Tom, but it's one of those movies I grew up with so I was dying to see it again--and it has a spectacular Miklos Rozsa score. (As well as a spectacular Sophia Loren.)
  21. J

Ten Commandments on blu-ray

On a similar note, I picked up the dvd of El Cid when it came out a few years ago and was supremely disappointed. It's hard to believe that Martin Scorsese was involved in the restoration.
  22. J

Any fans of "Top Gear"?

There is one good thing: if Jeremy doesn't review 'em, we Americans are less likely to be gutted by a bad review of the cars we drive. I was considering either a BMW X-5 or an Audi Q-7 until Clarkson called them "stupid."
  23. J

Refurbishing JBL 4311

Dropped 'em off at Van L's yesterday and I'm waiting to hear what he has to say. I'll keep you all updated. By the way, I had a chance to hear some of John's custom-made speakers. I tell you if I was starting all over again, those are what I'd buy. They are just incredible. (Oh, and no...
  24. J

Refurbishing JBL 4311

Thanks for this. As soon as we get a little less snow on the ground, I was planning to take them into Van L Speakerworks. Same story: he's been there for years and has a great reputation. (Plus I volunteer one afternoon a week at a nearby animal shelter so it's convenient.) Again...
Back
Top Bottom