Search results

1. blhagstrom

What vintage speakers are you using with your Marantz receiver?

Been rotating gear around and got the Advent NLA out and connected to some Marantz. I’ve rotated a lot of gear over the years and the NLA always impress me when I hook them up. I ran BIC Venturi 4 and 66 back in the 70s. They did plenty well.
  2. blhagstrom

Advent Maestro speakers

I just used generic foam surrounds. I used to get them on eBay cheap. FWIW, the Maestros perform much better with high power amplifiers. They really wake up when I use something above 100wpc. Not that I run them loud, they just work much better with that much power even at low volume.
  3. blhagstrom

SX 1250 help

OP has contacted me and is sending it over this week hopefully. He said he tried phono and right channel never came on. Tried radio and neither channel worked. Seems like a selector issue.
  4. blhagstrom

eBay Sellers Offering Re-capped/Refurb'd Units - How to Know if Trustworthy?

I know of a few AK’res that sell on eBay. Perhaps ask the seller if they are AK and then check back here and communicate here. BT is fine for offering up gear but sales are light and slow. To move gear, eBay is the way to go. FWIW, I’ve bought things here that were “gone through” by a shop and...
  5. blhagstrom

2230 w/o Stereo Lamp in Any Function & Signal Strength Meter Funky in FM

Long feet screw is your clue. I remember they could hit the phono board in some Marantz units. It’s been a while since I was in a 2230. Find out what the screw hit and fix from there or see a tech.
  6. blhagstrom

Marantz 5007: shorted the speakers and now I have a blinky red light

I also doubt that there are 6 shorted 2watt resistors. Resisters don’t short, they fail towards open.
  7. blhagstrom

SX 1250 help

I have a little time I can spare. Blaine
  8. blhagstrom

Speaker hoarders are going to have the last laugh

I get small bookshelf speakers and inexpensive consumer pairs. Small enough to ship without breaking the bank. If they are in good shape, I offer them on eBay. I have parted out many due to damage and sold a lot of parts. I just got a message through eBay asking about parting out a small set...
  9. blhagstrom

Glue for foam surrounds, poly cones and metal frames.

+1. Use it on every driver I rebuild. If you question its ability to “grab”, try cleaning it off once set. It gets a grip.
  10. blhagstrom

Speaker hoarders are going to have the last laugh

Depends on where. It seems that the Seattle area has so many good to great used speakers that it’s flooded and flipping them is difficult. Out in the middle of no where like the fly over states, anything even half ass decent or worse gets love. I’m currently cleaning out a hoard of parts from...
  11. blhagstrom

Accuphase e202 Help!

My thought as well. Someone shorted that case somehow.
  12. blhagstrom

Sansui G22000 VU Meters Failure

UPDATE: So after running the unit a while, the meter relay messed the bed. I dug up a 24v short relay from my salvage stash and performed a "dead bug" repair. Works now. HINT, the pinout on the "new" relay is mixed up. I used solid strand wire, installed lengths into the board, then wrapped...
  13. blhagstrom

Advent woofer driver identification help

They look like New Large Advents to me. Also know as NLA. Parting them out is a good move if you have no use for them. They must have made a million of them. Many still out there playing well. Good speakers. Parts sold well when I had spares.
  14. blhagstrom

PayPal new buyer fee?

PayPal has gotten screwy. Seems they went “business” oriented. Venmo is the way to go now for friend to friend money transfer. I want to stop taking PayPal and go Venmo or Zelle.
  15. blhagstrom

how to check leaky or noisy transistors?

I use a Super Cricket to find leaky transistors. Noisy ones are kinda known in the transistor replacement threads. There are known issues in the AU-717. Did you find the threads on it? Glue, fusing resistors and noisy transistors on the pre-amp board.
  16. blhagstrom

I don't replace a lot of radio parts

It’s rare that I need a transistor in a tuner. E-caps usually tune the tuner up during a restore. Yes, e-caps in the tuner during re-cap. Do it or don’t claim re-cap. Filter caps too or it’s not a re-cap.
  17. blhagstrom

Fuse holders?

$600 fuse. Then what? A $10000 power cord to get the electrons to the unit. Then a $100000 house rewire? And a $1000000 power line to the house? And a gaxillion dollar power station to make “audio” electrons? There really is no end to stupid.
  18. blhagstrom

Did recapping change the sound for you?

It depends on how tired the old caps are. I’ve seen huge changes including actual fixes to subtle changes that didn’t seem much, but did improve the quality.
  19. blhagstrom

New variacs on that auction site

FWIW, I needed a variac when I was away from my regular bench. Picked up a cheap Chinese unit at Fry’s. It was broken in the box. Exchanged it and used the replacement carefully. It worked. The Chinese units are flimsy. If you just want a set it and forget it to power old tube amp, fine. If you...
  20. blhagstrom

Yamaha CR-2020 tuner electrical static arcing sound on start?

The mystery continues. Power supply let go again. Losing -25V that feeds the tuner and pre-amp/tone board. Dropped to something like 10-12V. Went through all the parts on the power supply board. I think one of the transistors was wonked. There was a missing cap when I got it on the -25 side...
  21. blhagstrom

Sonos Connect and digital streaming

Is that a Connect or a Connect amp? I like the Connect to send the audio through a vintage stereo. I like the Connect amp to set up a small self contained system with just a spare set of speakers. The Sonos stuff seems durable in that the old stuff mostly works when found. I get a lot of them...
  22. blhagstrom

Advent Maestro Speakers Purchase Question

Heritage sound good on anything, Maestros are lame until you hit them with 100+ watt amps.
  23. blhagstrom

Speaker ID by parts

Got a mystery speaker frim trash. Parts look familiar but not enough to be sure. Anyone know for sure? 2 way, nice wood cab. Gawd, this camara can suck.
  24. blhagstrom

Restored AU-9500 left channel loud static. Stumper

That is correct for missing signal. Pretty sure a fuse would never go intermittent. But thanks for leaning in. How would the relay cause static in the preamp? Relay is on amp output to protect speakers when amp goes south. Pulling pre-in/main-out jumpers stops the static on speakers. That...
  25. blhagstrom

Restored AU-9500 left channel loud static. Stumper

That is correct for missing signal. Pretty sure a fuse would never go intermittent. But thanks for leaning in.
Back
Top Bottom