Search results

1. L

Back in the saddle again.

After two forced household moves and over 5 years in storage, the main system finally found a place to be re-assembled and powered up again. At first, a nasty hum had to be tracked down and silenced and the midrange pots were out of action for the first hour but finally kicked in, and...
  2. L

Music Documentaries to Watch

It's been a great kick finding and watching and listening to so many great music documentaries online recently... Mussell Shoals, Stax, The Travelling Wilburys, The Wrecking Crew, The Allman Brothers... If you've got more recommendations, please add to the list.
  3. L

Downsizing

We're moving from a house to an apartment, as so many have done, and the time has come to evaluate needs. I'm hanging on to all the equipment I actually use, and losing all the equipment that collects dust. First trip was to the vintage retailer, but they gave me chump change for a Marantz...
  4. L

If you were going to finally buy Altecs, what would you get?

I've been watching listings for Voice Of The Theatre speakers for years. Is there a better choice, if price is not going to be the deciding factor?
  5. L

Annoying speakers shaking windows and joists.

My speakers are causing real problems with the structures in the house. Songs like "Dazed and Confused" cause the windows to shake and the floor joists to rattle my chair. How do I fix these annoying speakers? On another topic, the Wente red is quite tasty even after the second bottle. Led...
  6. L

These look just so wrong.

On sale. New tweeters and new midranges declared, so buyer is informed... but... they just don't look right for AR3a's at that price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR3a-SPEAKERS-/161980910125?hash=item25b6d08a2d:g:BX4AAOSwFqJWs6Lx
  7. L

good onboard Asus motherboard sound

I just put together a new pc tower and would like to give a thumbs up to the Asus motherboard onboard sound. It has saved me the bother and expense of a sound card. It's the H170 Pro Corp Stable and it sounds just great. Motherboards have come a long way since the pico speaker and the midi output.
  8. L

Pink Floyd. Duh.

Wish You Were Here. Last two tracks. Loud. Tripping on Italian vino with the Bryston 4B through the 2245 preamp and a 6 cabinet AR speakers mixup. Sounds good.
  9. L

Can you get clear HD signals with only rabbit ears?

I keep hearing about how people are watching TV using old antenna setups, like rabbit ears. When the analog transmissions were stopped we were told you needed a converter setup. How do you hook up a new TV to rabbit ears and get clear HD signals from local stations? Do you need a separate...
  10. L

Lot o' great new music

Maybe Quebec is generating as much great new music as they are making amazing movies and TV shows... http://www.repertoiredesartistesquebecois.org/videos.asp?art=&idyoutube=1537&no=&rechercheArtiste=vulgaires%20machins&page=1&#Videos...
  11. L

Good story about a good electronics recycling depot

An electronics recycling depot in California actually looks at the stuff dropped off and evaluates it for collector value. If they see it should be sold off instead of broken up, they sell it and contact the previous owner to give them half the proceeds. This week, an old lady brought in an...
  12. L

light bulbs replacement for Marantz 2230

I've got the set of replacement lamps here and now have to tackle the Marantz 2230. Are there any cautions I should know about before taking this apart and removing and replacing the old lamps with the new LED ones? Except for the lights, this unit is working perfectly. I suppose it would be...
  13. L

Best Disco Song

My vote goes to Laura Branigan for Gloria. Great disco sound. Great voice. Although, to be honest, I thought it was Donna Summer singing it when it was on the radio. They sounded the same to me.
  14. L

Headphones under $200?

It's been about 45 years since I had to use headphones. They were Koss and not top of the line but they were very good. What is very good these days under $200?
  15. L

Great violin recordings from 1935

This week the postman delivered some recordings of a really excellent violinist recorded in 1935. Bronislaw Huberman with the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by none other than Cleveland's George Szell. I guess Szell worked in Europe before the war and moved to Cleveland after. And Huberman...
  16. L

Magnepan IIIA

Would all who know why an investment in these speakers should not be made, please speak up now.
  17. L

Chamber Music

I can't get enough of it these days. For sure, I love the sound of those instruments, few enough in number that you can hear each one. But the music can be truly sublime, with a mood or voice unsurpassed by any other setups I can think of. The fact that it is the best form of music for...
  18. L

Okay to play scratchy old records or not?

When I get hold of old records there is always one that is really scratchy. But I play it at least once, to hear it through and see what I will be missing when it goes back into general circulation. I am not talking about a big loud scratch across the record, but that invisible damage that...
  19. L

Short but good. A new old LP (okay... CD)

Another proof arrived in the mail today to bolster my contention that first albums by great young talents contain bursts of genius and excellence that merit always getting a first release album from any of the great bands. The Allman Brothers Band (1969). Geez, it has Cross To Bear, Whipping...
  20. L

Reggae was great

Getting back into Rock Steady and Reggae this month. It's been thirty years since I used to enjoy the Reggae show on the local public radio station. I'd forgotten how relaxing it can be.
  21. L

"bored and want to start a thread"

My daughter's old high school music collection has been gathering dust in the basement for about ten years now. Time to check it out... and there are a few discoveries there for this old working class debtor. Two bands stand out... Radiohead and REM. They each remind me of something...
  22. L

The Beatles versus The Rolling Stones

Forty years ago a friend of mine said the Stones were better. I finally agree with him. Their music has stood the test of time.
  23. L

Volume control

Got home from a really hard pressed week of work today, cracked open a bottle, opened a pack of smokes and lit up the Number One stereo setup. Started with a relaxing Haydn album but then switched gears over to Led Zeppelin One, side two, and from the get go decided to push the speakers to...
  24. L

Buying music to listen to: how do you decide

The process of learning what classical music is, and listening to as much of it as I can lay my hands on, has been a happy revelation in my later years. It's a good thing the ears are still good, and in order to hear the finer tones of the strings I've concentrated on getting some very good...
  25. L

It's an Ummagumma day

Last time I heard Ummagumma was 42 years ago. Today I found what appears to be an unused double album at the thrift store for 99 cents and thought I'd give it a go. It's been a nice two hours here this afternoon and it turns out that I remember every tune like it was yesterday. And the albums...
Back
Top Bottom