Search results

1. G

CHEAP tube amp Recommendation

I amp looking for a really cheap tube amp w/ decent sound to hook up my Cambridge Audio DVD89 universal player for SACDs & CDs. Power rating is not important as I'll pick appropriate speakers, maybe even single driver speakers. An integrated amp would be nice so I can use a tt, but a power...
  2. G

mid-fi

What we use now, mostly tv and some music. Denon receiver & sacd, Sony turntable, SEAS drivers in Paragon cabinets, Bello rack, Wife's plants
  3. G

Larger Advents Revisited

I aware that there are many posting here and much internet info on these classics. Yet I'd like fellow 'Karmas to chime in on my newly acquired Advents. These are version A2 (dates ?) which remind be of the 'Original Advent Loudspeakers' I had on my very first stereo in 1970 (I'm 62) 1.) At...
  4. G

Did Sony make any good '70s-'80s speaker?

I'm looking for a pair of Sony speakers earlier than the respected SS-M3/5/7/9 series made in the '90s to complete my vintage All-Sony kit. Anything from the '70/'80 in bookshelf size is what I'm looking for.
  5. G

YAQIN-MS-12B _ any good?

The YAQIN-MS-12B has been around for a while. Its functionality for a TT and tuner is perfect for me, plus the low price. Are they any good? How is the detail on this preamp? I have Yamaha power speakers I will use with it, if it's a good piece of kit.
  6. G

What does a full Rega system sound like?

I've been contemplating a full Rega system for a 10'x13' room. I live in a hi-fi shop deprived area, so what do they sound like? This is all I'm considering: RP3 w/ Elys2 turntable Brio-r amp Apollo-r cd RS1 speakers
  7. G

My Little Sony!

Sony TA1130 integrated amp from CL, Sony PS6750 turntable from GW. I need to find suitable speakers like the Sony SS-M3 bookshelf speakers (will not say what my stop-gap speakers are). http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-1130.html http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-6750.html
  8. G

Tube amp w/ phono stage

Other than vintage, is there such thing as a modern integrated tube amp w/ built in phono stage, say no older than 2001. Power rating of at least 20 wpc should suffice. Am I dreaming to hope there is something that is not priced in the stratosphere, like Mac or similar.
  9. G

New Sony TT

New Sony TT - lots of photos! I just purchased a Sony PS-6750 turntable. All the original items are there including headshell, counter balance, mat, detachable pc, 45 adaptor, and working dust cover. What do you folks think of this turntable? It has a square white AT cartridge on it, but I...
  10. G

Can you ID tube stereo form 1974 movie "The Conversation"?

I just finished watching "The Conversation" 1974 where Gene Hackman plays sax to Jazz played on a very cool stereo (or mono), which includes a tube integrated amp, manual TT, tape deck, and at least one speaker behind him. Attached is a screen shot from the movie.
  11. G

Basic 3.1 speaker placement question

I'm used to a 2 channel system, but now I'm setting up a good quality 3.1 system. My only 2 sources will be a Denon DVD player (with analogue outputs) and audio from the TV (over-the-air HDTV). I will play all audio in 3.1. I have the electronics figured out and my question is about speaker...
  12. G

Integrated amp Recommendations

Once again thinking of buying one of the better late '70's/ early '80's SS integrated amp for TV/DVD/tuner to drive 87db 4 ohm speakers. I had a Mac MA5100, HK505 and Sansui 717 besides various receivers at one time that were very good. This time I do not want a receiver, only a SS integrated...
  13. G

NAD D3020 vs. Nuforce DDA-100

Has anyone used or heard the NAD D3020 or Nuforce DDA-100? Both seem like the answer for me for a simple all digital system for hdtv and dvd player.
  14. G

Don't laugh, I love her

My wife loves her 1st generation Bose CD/radio. She was given it to her at work for her excellent support to the sales staff back in 2000. It's convenient for her and she can turn it this way and that to pick up her favorite AM stations. I can't imagine our bedroom without it. But I'm able to...
  15. G

Crazy Little Fun System

Crazy Little Fun System Fun airwaves system using a Tripath chip amp, HD Radio and small monitor speakers. Powering electronics with a robust regulated power supply improves bass, body, naturalness, and realism. Crazy to look at, but fun to listen to HD radio.
  16. G

Integrated amp recommendation w/ Big sound

I've gone back and forth on a multi-channel system or a 2 channel for tv, movies, and movies. I think I'd be a nice SS integrated amp with a big full bodied sound will suit our living room better. My first thoughts, though not conclusive, are the Anthem 225, Cary CAI-1, and possibly Harman...
  17. G

Lepai Tripath Amp

The Lepai LP2020A+ 2020 Tripath amp is very cool and sounds good too. The 20 wpc is plenty loud with my 87db Paradigm Atom loudspeakers. If you turn up the volume too high it distorts, but I've read a better and more robust power supply solves the problem. I have a 13.8 volt 3 amp regulated...
  18. G

Bedroom airwaves

About as simple as it gets to enjoy FM airwaves in the evening. Rotel RT940ax tuner provides excellent reception from the local college stations Yamaha MSP3 smallest amplified studio monitors w/ outstanding sound Kimber Kable PBJ interconnects Speaker placement is not optimal but our...
  19. G

Anyone use a tube amp for movies and tv?

I'm contemplating using a my unused Onix SP3 tube integrated amp for a 2.0 home theater system in the family room for evening tv programing as well as one weekly dvd. My concern is that the amp will be on for 40-50 hrs per week. Will this shorten the tube life to tube to a yearly replacement...
  20. G

Does anyone use tube amps for home theater?

I'm contemplating using a tube integrated amp for a 2.0 home theater system in the family room. It will be used for evening tv programing as well as a weekly movie. My concern is that the amp will be on for 5 hrs/day on weekdays and 8 hrs/day on the weekends. Will this appreciably shorten the...
  21. G

Tannoy Mercury M-20 find

I picked up a pair of Tannoy Mercury M-20 monitors at a resale shop. They are a small 2-way front-ported box design perfect for stand mounting. They use a translucent 8" woofer w/ rubber surround and a 1" soft dome tweeter, utilizing 2nd order xovers. The woofer frame and tweeter plate are...
  22. G

Glorified tube radio

This is what we enjoy evening music on. Traded my Mac MA5100 for an Onix SP3. Needed a source and bought a new Directed HD car tuner and later a Realistic 13.8 volt regulated power supply, both from GW. Need small speakers w/ high WAF so purchased Paradigm Atom v2 speakers from a small...
  23. G

HT newbe needs simple how-to advice

I'm a 2 channel person and want to advance my listening/watching experience, and need a simple how-to walk-thru on what to do. Can you advise me what to buy and how to do it.? I have a stereo tube integrated amp that will power 1 pair of DIY loudspeakers. I'm a total dummy w/ home theater...
  24. G

Onix SP3 owners - tube flare-up question

I recently traded for a Onix SP3 tube integrated amp from a friend. He has used it for 2 years w/o issue, but I have a concern. It has: 2- Mullard Reissue 12AX7 preamp tubes 2- EH 6922 driver tubes 2- RTF 12AU7 phase inverter tubes (according to manual) 4- Tung-sol 5881 power tubes...
  25. G

Classic Premium Vintage System

My classic vintage system from the hay-day of LP record playback using premium components. McIntosh MA5100 45wpc integrated amp rebuilt by DeWick Dual 1019 idler-wheel drive turntable w/ 7.5 lb plater Shure M91ED cartridge w/ OEM Shure nude elliptical stylus Altec Lansing Model 1 acoustic...
Back
Top Bottom