Search results

1. soma89

Dynaco SCA 120 integrated amp?

Bump for anymore experiences?
  2. soma89

Dynaco SCA 120 integrated amp?

I have a chance to grab one of these. Anyone know anything about then or have any experience? Its all black, looks like an Adcom or Nad style/clean look. I know the tube dynaco stuff is popular but i rarely hear about these 90s dynacos. Let me know, thank you!
  3. soma89

Here's why I love vinyl!!

I've come to the conclusion that vinyl is more fun. Whether or not it sounds "better", i'm not sure.
  4. soma89

Why don't vintage turntable have built-in phono pre-amps?

Interesting question. I personally like a turntable to be JUST a turntable. If it had preamps under the platter, auto function etc.. just brings in more things that can potentially go wrong. There were always those combo stereo tt's that were built on top of a receiver or integrated amp..not...
  5. soma89

Just how good is a Dual 1019?

I miss my Dual 1019. Its more "charming" than anything to do with sound or function. I prefer a manual tt as a daily player.
  6. soma89

My first vintage turntable should be…

I wouldnt go vintage for my first turntable. I did, and got nothing but issues. I didn't enjoy the first year or so of listening to vinyl because my old tt's always had issues (especially if they had an automatic function) and my old second hand receivers were always blowing up and having...
  7. soma89

Stanton 500 unmarked "genuine" styli

Honestly, i know its strange, but I've always liked heavier conical styli. They always sound good and they give me a mental comfort that theyre stable in the groove. I've had higher end carts with feather light tracking that just bugged me on the clunky technics 1200mkii arm. Just could never...
  8. soma89

Stanton 500 unmarked "genuine" styli

Hey there, I've been looking for a replacement stylus for my gold body 500. I have noticed a lot of unmarked styli are being called "genuine stanton" even though there is not Stanton branding. Some of these are clearly older styli probably from the 70's or 80's. Did stanton ever make unmarked...
  9. soma89

Have Celestion 3's for years...any budget modern speakers going to be much of an improvement?

They've never let me down. I've also owned EPI's and Dynaco's but these stayed, while the others were sold off..mainly due to space being an issue, and they do sound good to me. I have been out of the loop for a while and was wondering if there are any budget bookshelf speakers nowadays that...
  10. soma89

A Cart that got lost with the times? Audio Technica AT11e.

I dont think that green one would fit this specific cart, however there is an original green elliptical that i believe is a copy to the original AT11E. From my research i think most aftermarket styli for these carts are jico made, even the ones sold under different names.
  11. soma89

Question: The TR440SX I am getting is supposedly a AT12sa in hiding, but has a "Line Contact" stylus, where the 12sa has the "shibata". Are these the same styli? An audio technica fan might know. Cant find any "Line Contact" Audio technica styli, just the good old Shibata.
  12. soma89

Over the past month I've played around with many phono carts (shure m95, pickering xv15, shure m44-7, shure m55e, shure m44c, stanton 500). I was searching for the SPARK. The cartridge that was gunna sit me down and shut me up. I was beginning to think that, at this price level, I wasn't going...
  13. soma89

New N44-7 Stylus on M44C

I love my m44-7 more than a lot of "higher end" carts. I have tried the original shure n44-7 AND a Tonar N44-7 stylus and they are both really good. Never found the need to try an elliptical stylus like the n55e; but maybe i will one day. M44C were found in changers a lot of the time throughout...
  14. soma89

Any pointers on how to pack a stylus/ styli for shipping?

**No headshell or cart btw :)
  15. soma89

Any pointers on how to pack a stylus/ styli for shipping?

Would love to hear about some clever ways to make it work!
  16. soma89

Entry level/Mid level MM carts vs. Higher end MM carts

Lately I have been reading around about hifi again, mostly about certain phono cartridges and styli. What has caught my attention is that a lot of "mid-level" mm phono cartridges are being praised as audiophile quality with many saying that they compare favourably to a lot of the 70s and 80s...
  17. soma89

Technics SL-1200 mkII, What cartridges came stock during first run?

OR was it generally the audio retailers decision? Did they ship with carts already installed? Thanks a lot, I just discovered that my minty technics 1200 is a very early model so my minds wandering rn, thats all. Thanks!
  18. soma89

Record's cut too hot?

Ok so this morning I popped into a thrift store and found a couple of nice albums... My favourite one is Nilsson's "The Point!" on RCA, but its a pressing that is full of sibilance, and even a couple of spots when you could hear a raspy "shhhh" along with the music. The vinyl itself looks VG+...
  19. soma89

Vintage gear prices today

I've thrown money in the trash before, buying up old receivers that dont sound so good for the sake of it being "vintage". A lot of the time one, of the speaker channels would be wonky, or sometimes the phono section would sound like its under water. Now I know the importance of recapping...
  20. soma89

Which Dual is the best? I've made up my mind!

Very interesting! I love and miss my 1019 that I sold. :( Dual turntables are just so easy to like and enjoy.
  21. soma89

Always wanted an old white Shure M44-7....found a Shure M44-C black body. Same Cart?

Wow, exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot. Might be an odd question, but what differences should i expect when compared to a pickering XV 15?? Thats what I currently have on my technics 1200mkii and hoping for a different sound! (not looking for better or worse..just a difference flavour)
  22. soma89

Always wanted an old white Shure M44-7....found a Shure M44-C black body. Same Cart?

Hey there! I have a Jico n44-7 stored away for when i find a m44-7... Recently got an ancient m44c body. Is it pretty much the same sound as the m44-7 carts? I usually play vintage lp's, microgroves, early stereo classical, jazz, folk..etc Will be fitted onto a technics 1200mkii. Really...
  23. soma89

heavy tracking elliptical for old worn records?

Hey there, I have a technics 1200mkii with a stanton 500 (gold body, stanton written on bottom) currently with a 2-5gram conical. Sounds pretty good! I usually play old worn records 50's - 70's. Thrift store oddities. I am finding however that by using my 2-5 gram elliptical i am getting more...
  24. soma89

"Easy" first project turning into nightmare..Nikko integrated amp w/ pics

Herr is the schematic.. http://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Nikko-TRM-210-Service-Manual.pdf
  25. soma89

"Easy" first project turning into nightmare..Nikko integrated amp w/ pics

ALRIGHT... installed the bc639 and bc640 (oriiginally a853's and a545's) installed new 945 transistors too and... It powers on and there is sound! However the sound is weak, spitty and distorted on BOTH CHANNELS. i also noticed that when i turn the amp off, the sounds slowly fades away in...
Back
Top Bottom