Search results

1. R

Turntable Basics.......wtf?

I was going to hold off posting my negative experience with Turntable Basics until I saw this thread. The cartridge screws I received from him are magnetic, I sent an email asking WTF, and no reply. Sent another email, no reply. Now I know -- never order from him again, and urge others to do the...
  2. R

What's the rarest piece of vinyl you own?

I just thought of some more things in my collection, all original pressings and near mint: Robert Wyatt ~ End of an Ear Robert Wyatt ~ Ruth is Stranger than Richard Henry Cow ~ two early albums, the white and blue ones
  3. R

Found Some Nice Jazz Vinyl

6-eye rules. Plus yesterday I picked up Brubeck's "Time Further Out" at GW, along with a stack of other things. It's pretty noisy, but not too bad for a buck.
  4. R

Does Zerostat Really Work?!

Whoa now, wait a minute. Considering you can get one of these for <$20, as opposed to $100 for a ZeroStat...anybody else use the ionic hair dryer? This could be the last link in my budget "Audiophile Accessories" chain. Got the Magic Eraser for $2, picked up a tooth-shaped sticky toy at the...
  5. R

Listening to New to me Vinyl

You think that's bad...I have a number of albums I bought new in the 70s that I'm still waiting to play. I recently pulled out Pink Floyd's "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and gave it a spin -- when I bought it, I was expecting Dark Side of the Moon, not mid-60s pop/rock. Turns out my copy is a...
  6. R

Be still my audio lovin' heart !!

That's what I thought -- awesome, you turned it on with either no load or, judging by the ratty look of that cable, a shorted output.
  7. R

Vinyl only spin list

I just bought one of their early records called "Bullfight! Music from the Bull Ring." Says the frequency response is 16Hz-26,000Hz. It sounds really good. And a bit strange.
  8. R

Found Some Nice Jazz Vinyl

I'm frequently amazed at how bad some albums can look and still play quiet. And how some look perfect, but be unlistenable. Plus I've found I can tolerate more surface noise on mono pressings -- the crackles tend to hang on the left and right in front of the speakers, while the music sits in the...
  9. R

Your Latest Additions (LP)......

One of my recent finds was a Kai Winding Trombones LP -- RCA, early stereo, great sound quality. It's kind of cool, with 4 trombones doing the melodies. If you like Kai Winding, you might like the Les and Larry Elgart LPs on Columbia six-eye from the mid-50s. Excellent sounding LPs as well, with...
  10. R

Vinyl Repressings to Avoid

Also, I tried out the reissues of Coltrane's A Love Supreme and Ornette Coleman's Shape of Jazz to Come -- 180g "audiophile" releases. Had to return both of them. Unbearable surface noise and warped to boot. I also bought a couple of the Capitol Vaults series, and wasn't too impressed. Not so...
  11. R

Vinyl Repressings to Avoid

I guess it's been mentioned, but the one $10 Blue Note reissue I tried sucked bad. Couldn't get through the first side, there was so much crackling and popping. Also, it was new, and was horribly scuffed and scratched. And warped. Insult to injury, I've seen the same ones with higher price tags...
  12. R

Seeking advice: replacing a tonearm on a KD-550

As I mentioned, you can get the manual on the 707 and maybe some other info on vinyl engine...hope it works out. A few months back I was bidding on an MS table with the 707 arm. The drive didn't seem like anything super special, but the arm sure seemed like it. I dropped out when the price went...
  13. R

Help, I'm addicted! Today's used haul: Peggy Lee with Nelson Riddle orchestra ~ Jump for Joy, Capitol, stereo, first rainbow label, which puts it about '58. Looks unplayed. Lola Albright ~ Dreamsville, with Henry Mancini orchestra, Columbia six-eye mono. Windham Hill Records Sampler '82...
  14. R

LOVE the six-eye mono. Amazing sound quality. Makes me wonder why anybody went to stereo...I picked up a Doris Day six-eye the other day -- "Cuttin's Capers" with the Frank De Vol orchestra. Great sound.
  15. R

Vinyl only spin list

Bunny Rabbit!
  16. R

And you thought your stylus wore out quick...

You'd have to buy them by the gross...though not as bad as the Victrola needles mentioned above -- a new needle for every side? A 78 side doesn't last very long, either...
  17. R

What's the rarest piece of vinyl you own?

Last year I picked up one of the first MFSL albums, called "The Power and the Majesty." Not sure how rare it is, but I've never seen it before. I'm not a collector per se, I just wanted to play it -- on one side is a thunderstorm, and on the other are steam-powered trains. The trains will give...
  18. R

And you thought your stylus wore out quick...

Yesterday I got a bunch of records at GW, and as I was perusing the back of a Les Elgart album -- a very early Columbia 6-eye mono -- I came across the following chart. It was warning people to change their needle before it wore out, and it listed the following max time you should put on your...
  19. R

Just the turntable and me!

Beautifully said. I have had my own chronic health/pain issues for going on 30 years now, but I've been surprised in just the way you say. If there is a secret to life, I think that's it -- or at least one of them...:thmbsp:
  20. R

Magnetic cartridge mounting screws?

That's what I thought -- that's why I was surprised to receive them from a company that seems to do nothing else but supply turntable-related items. Hmmm...
  21. R

Right, but wouldn't the magnets in the cartridge basically have the same effect, ie, magnetize them?
  22. R

I bought some screws so I could mount an extra cartridge on a spare headshell -- I remember something about them needing to be nonmagnetic, so I put a magnet to them and they are definitely magnetic. Is it essential they be nonmagnetic? I bought them from a turntable store online, and they were...
  23. R

Vacuum tube lot offer price...

Not that you shouldn't go for it...you could get lucky.
  24. R

Vacuum tube lot offer price...

Given that one Telefunken 12AX7 would go for that...I'd say yeah, that's a good deal. If he laughs at you, that's why...:yes:
  25. R

Polk Heads Up

That's where I got my Monitor 40s a while back -- $150 shipped. They are a bookshelf version, with two 4-inch drivers. Those 70s should sound great. I really liked the 40s, which I had in my main system. A lot of bass from those guys, and very detailed highs.
Back
Top Bottom