Search results

1. bimasta

Tonearm ID? Black and gold plate? Belonged to my dad Bimasta

Thanks again Blue Shadow for ID'ing the Odyssey tonearm and your other helpful tips. I have posted it in Bartertown for anyone interested. It's such Nat this is the nicest comment, sorry to only be getting back now but your description of Bima was so on point! He was fantastic company...
  2. bimasta

Bit late to this comment Athanasios, sorry I missed it first time around. Jess - the only son as far as i'm aware!!!
  3. bimasta

Bimasta's DIY Tonearm

Thank you for that! I know he would have loved hearing this. I wish he had posted it himself, i'm sure there were many other details I missed. I do love the grippy texture though. It fit in with that 1980's black-everything aesthetic but also stood out as unique.
  4. bimasta

Bimasta's DIY Tonearm

Thank you Fiddlefye, that is super kind. I know he had great friends here, it was a great source of comfort for him and he loved the thoughtful and spirited dialog :)
  5. bimasta

Bimasta's DIY Tonearm

The Bimasta BS1 DIY Tonearm For those that missed my previous post in another thread, i'm making a dedicated post of my dad Bimasta's self-built tonearm he built in South Africa in the 1980's. I'm calling it the BS1 (Bima Stagg 1), pretty sure that's what he would have called it :) If this is...
  6. bimasta

Thanks ETLS, I joined Bartertown and made a post there. Still getting the hang of things! I might repost my dad's tonearm he built under the Turntables forum so it isn't lost
  7. bimasta

Fashionably late but here are some promised beauty shots of dad Bimasta's self-built tonearm. I'm calling it the BS1, pretty sure that's what he would have called it. Some things I recall: The original single shaft was tapered carbon fiber upsourced from a golf club. Then he decided if you...
  8. bimasta

I posted some quick pics in this thread. Will post better ones if there is interest. Jesse btw. The only sim I’m aware of!
  9. bimasta

Here are a couple of quick pics, Everything was bespoke/custom made or found pieces, all aluminum and carbon fiber - a golf club shaft iirc. I do remember he was very happy about the 3 tubes separating the wires as he felt that was a real innovation. I will post some better pictures if people...
  10. bimasta

OMG that's awesome ! and fast thank you so much. I know what to look for now and will start the hunt! He made his own tone arm long ago based on a three barrel system, also very pretty. I will post it if people are interested. Very talented guy.
  11. bimasta

Thank you for the response. Blue Shadow solved it! See in this thread...
  12. bimasta

Thanks Ken, he would appreciate that. I feel like your name is familiar for some reason. I put some of his carts on ebay, the full list and pictures are here if you're curious... Moderation edit: List removed, Buying and Selling on AK is for subscribers only in Barter Town, Montycat
  13. bimasta

Thank you!, and that's very kind, we miss him too I hope someone knows more. I didn't notice until you mentioned the counterweight, it's quite possible it still exists as I have a literal ton of turntable ephemera - turntable platters, mats, random weights, feet, etc. I'm sure there are some...
  14. bimasta

Hi AK, trying to get an ID on this very pretty tonearm that belonged to my dad (Bimasta). Can any of you knowledgable folks help me out? Note: As some of you know my pop – known on AK as Bimasta, passed away. I'm posting on his account as this community was one of his favorite places on the...
  15. bimasta

Bimasta Hifi Estate Sale

Hi, first off I offer my sincerest condolences on the loss of your Father. Now, I'm sorry to have to say this, but, the AK rules specifically state that all offers of stuff for sale must be posted in "Barter Town" only, with no exceptions. To access Barter Town you must be a subscriber, which...
  16. bimasta

Alphason is back!

I had the first Alphason, and returned it for a refund – the bearings kept popping out. It was amateurish. The arm was modified (changed the angle of the gimbal-rings) to solve the problem – and it now worked. I was given the new version to try, but gave it back -- it had a cold clinical sound...
  17. bimasta

$2500 cd player?

@fredgarvin Did you see this? http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/Marantz%20CD5000/marantz5000.html I've been using the Marantz 5000 for years. I didn't think a mid-fi unit could be so good. It's as good as my transport+DAC, and it takes half the space (1 box vs 2, minus 1 expensive...
  18. bimasta

MC 240 ReTube or Replace

I wish that were true. I had a Shuguang 2A3, and an Electro-Harmonic 2A3, go bad in less than a week. The first red-plated and I never knew why, and the E-H lost its vacuum, which was bad workmanship.
  19. bimasta

$2500 cd player?

@fredgarvin Thank you – For shooting down the myth that "Bits is Bits", and that any CDP or DVD can work as a good Transport. The truth is that some DVDs suck as Transports. When I got my first DAC, I had 7 (yes, Seven) DVDs and CDPs to choose from to use as a Transport. They were all name...
  20. bimasta

any one else own a ''digital'' LP ?

How does it sound?
  21. bimasta

any one else own a ''digital'' LP ?

DMM has nothing to do with "Digital", despite the letter "D". The record is pressed directly from a metal master, and "D" stands for "Direct". There's no intervening lacquer-stage. There's less generation loss of the signal, less erosion of the physical media. The lands-and-grooves of the master...
  22. bimasta

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Not bad at all. Slight bend, but I think it could easily be "urged" back in line, with little to no risk of breaking it. Hard to tell from the other angle – maybe the cantilever is depressed a bit too low – but if so it looks slight and this also could be persuaded into the correct position.
  23. bimasta

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Not bad at all. Slight bend, but I think it could easily be "urged" back in line, with little to no risk of breaking it. Hard to tell from the other angle – maybe the cantilever is depressed a bit too low – but if so it looks slight and this also could be persuaded into the correct position.
Back
Top Bottom