Search results

1. W

Any Creatively Unique Musicians Here?

I know really basic theory as in note names and how to play those notes on a keyboard. When I create music, I try to pick a key I like and improvise using the notes in that key. A lot of times I'll try to emulate a song or artist I really like, sometimes to good effect, sometimes not. I can't...
  2. W

1956 Motorola 56R Plastic radio

I have the same radio, my brother-in-law got it for me for Christmas last year from an antique shop. It sounds great, there's a great college station in Minneapolis that broadcasts on AM 770 Radio K) that plays a bunch of great local bands and a lot of really obscure stuff, it sounds great...
  3. W

Synthesizer Amplification

When I gig, I run my keyboards into a mixing board, and then run the output from the mixer directly into the venue's PA, no amp. When practicing, I do the same thing, I have a PA in my practice space. The only reason I use the mixer is for effects, when gigging, you could run the output from...
  4. W

MC240 vs two MC40

It just makes more sense to me that you would test an amp by playing a record or a CD through it and hearing music coming out of speakers. That's the point of having the amp, to play music. You're not going to know how an amp sounds by measuring power output ratings.
  5. W

MC240 vs two MC40

What do you mean when you say "load"? You sometimes refer to playing music with no load, does that mean playing a source with no speakers connected? Turning the amp on without a preamp? I don't understand electronics, all I know is that a source goes into a preamp, preamp connects to the...
  6. W

Sony Playstation as audiophile cd player?!?!

I'm also on the skeptical side, I have a PS1 that I bought new in 1998 or 99 that i took very good care of, so maybe I'll try it. Personally, the best CD player I've owned is my Sony Blu-Ray player for the simple fact that it will read and play any CD I put it in, no matter how scratched or...
  7. W

Twin Cities Repair Techs?

I second HiFi sound on Glenwood Ave. Super nice guys who really know high end equipment and do a great job at repairing it. Awesome place, they have a good selection of new and used equipment as well.
  8. W

Needing to crank volume for phono playback

So on my integrated amp (Panasonic/Technics SU 3404 in two channel mode) I find when playing records I have to crank the volume to around 6 or 7 to actually be able hear anything clearly, it sounds way too quiet at anything lower than that. Other sources (blu ray player, tape deck) blast my...
  9. W

The new world of 78 RPM record hunting

I would love to collect 78's, but the problem is I don't know what to look for in 78's. I hate blues, so I wouldn't recognize any blues artists on 78, and most of what I find is either run of the mill opera or classical recordings or Bing Crosby christmas stuff. The few 78's that I am after...
  10. W

Dahlquist DQ10

I too just recently acquired a set of DQ10's, the first time I fired them up, I was blown away at the sound quality, and that was only on 45wpc. These things crave power, 60-200wpc, sounding better as you increase the wattage. I know nothing about cleaning the crossovers, if there is an...
  11. W

Barnes & Noble dropping CDs??

I hardly ever buy new CD's anymore, most of the new releases I want are also released on vinyl, so I'll get it on vinyl if I can. However, there are very few new artists I listen to anyway, so most of my music purchases come from record stores or online (vinyl through discogs, CD's through ebay...
  12. W

What Oscilloscope do you use?

None of that made any sense. Why would anyone need this for their home stereo system? What exactly does an oscilloscope do and how does using one help with improving one's listening experience on their stereo equipment?
  13. W

What Oscilloscope do you use?

I've wondered this as well. What is the point of an oscilloscope within the context of home audio? Actually, what is the point of an oscilloscope in general?
  14. W

MERCY !!!!!! Was i ever blessed today.

Later pressing, it has "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" correctly listed on the label. Earlier pressings list it as just "Bungalow Bill." Nice copy in pretty decent shape. I got mine at a second hand store and it included the poster and pictures, it even had the protective paper...
  15. W

CNN Aticle "The Death of the Home Stereo System"

I think a lot of young people never had access to quality component systems when they first started to get into music, they were listening on boomboxes and all-in-one systems so that's what they thought music should sound like. Later on, they moved to portable systems like iPods with headphones...
  16. W

Mick or Mack?

Thanks for the correction, the first time I saw the name I assumed it was "Mickintosh" because that makes more sense since there's no "A" to make it into Mackintosh and names that start with "Mc" are usually pronounced "mick." But If the general consensus is "mack" then that's how I'll say it...
  17. W

Mick or Mack?

Is it pronounced "Mick-in-tosh" or "Mack-in-tosh"? I'd like to talk to the guy at the Hi-Fi shop about the great McIntosh gear he has, but I don't want to sound like an idiot when I call it a Mickintosh when it's Mackintosh, or Mackintosh when it's Mickintosh. Also, which syllable is the...
  18. W

Technics/Panasonic SU-3404 "4 Channel Control Stereo Amplifier"

I have no idea what any of that means, sorry. What is a demodulator? What is the difference between matrix quad and discrete quad? I'm still a novice when it comes to stereo systems and have no clue about how quadraphonic systems work. It must be magic.
  19. W

Technics/Panasonic SU-3404 "4 Channel Control Stereo Amplifier"

I picked up this quad system about a year ago and I have been using it as my main stereo setup since then. So far I am very pleased with it, it's the first integrated amplifier I have ever owned. I also have the matching ST-3400 Tuner to go with it, which is an excellent tuner. I can't seem...
  20. W

Good turntable for 78's?

What advantage does an idler turntable have over the direct drive Audio Technica? Does it really make that much of a difference if I just want something that will play a 78?
  21. W

Good turntable for 78's?

The Audio Technica seems more like the way I'm wanting to go. It looks to be a nice all around table and within my price range. Thanks everyone for all the recommendations.
  22. W

Good turntable for 78's?

I'm looking to get a modern turntable that will play 78's. Does anyone have a recommendation for any particular table and cartridge? I'd like to keep the cost of the table and cartridge under $200 if possible, it doesn't have to have the best possible sound reproduction, just a turntable that...
  23. W

More Goodwill Tape Finds

Thanks for the info, I figured it had to be early '70's. I don't think I'll be using it to record anything, but rather keep it as part of my collection, it's pretty cool looking and I don't want to risk it getting eaten by my deck.
  24. W

Does anybody still like 8-track?

When I first got into collecting vintage equipment, I picked up an all-in-one unit with an 8 track in it. I found 8 track cartridges to be the biggest pain in the ass to use. First off, you can't ever tell where the music is going to start, it just starts at a random place so you can't start...
  25. W

More Goodwill Tape Finds

Today's goodwill tape find was an interesting Scotch cassette on which I can't find any information. It is a 120 minute tape with no indication of tape formulation on either the case or the shell, although I'm assuming it's a type I. It's a Scotch Dynarange tape, but it looks to be one of the...
Back
Top Bottom