Search results

1. islanddave

SMSL 8a for dummies

For the life of me I cannot seem to get any sound from my laptop through my dac. I am simply using the supplied usb cable between dac and lap top . I then select usb streaming on the Dac. The Dac is then fed through a preamp, then to power amp. The Dac works for the seperate cd player also...
  2. islanddave

Skyline Diffuser Calculator

38 pieces [1] 204.25 cm 38 pieces [2] 408.50 cm 40 pieces [3] 645.00 cm 15 pieces [4] 322.50 cm Total 15.80 meter 645cm is like 21 feet long! Thanks David
  3. islanddave

yes that i understand....but when i enter the above suggested data I get a diffuser that is very large! I must be doing something wrong!
  4. islanddave

Hello All, I would like to make a diffuser panel for my listening room. Following some advise that I found online.....Ethan Winer has suggested that 800 Hz to 3 or 4 KHz should be a good range to tune a skyline diffuser to. Problem being is that when I plug this range into a calculator I get a...
  5. islanddave

Tube preamp with a head phone stage.

Is there such a beast as a tube preamp with a headphone stage.......... Thanks David
  6. islanddave

Altec Lansing Model 14

Hello All, I haven't posted in a while. I acquired a set of these some time ago, with the hopes of restoring them, however due to time and money constraints I have thought it best to let them go to someone else. The cabinets are really good for the most part. They both need...
  7. islanddave

Tube Amp Kit

I am a complete newbie here.......my impression is that a stepped attenuator is better that just a regular volume control. Autoformer....? http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90131 Dave
  8. islanddave

Tube Amp Kit

Hello All, I'm really digging the idea of building this Loftin-White amplifier. Now what the heck amp I looking at? I need to learn how to read this schematic.....any resources that will help me learn to read this...
  9. islanddave

Tube Amp Kit

Not sure I understand your question entirely.....do you presently have a dynaco or are you looking for a kit? The kit that I have has a stepped attenuator that taps into the pcbhttp://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob If your looking to build a Dynaco this is the man I would deal with. This amp sounds...
  10. islanddave

Tube Amp Kit

Hello All, I would like to add a second tube amp to my system. Currently I have built a Bob Latino St-70 and am absolutely thrilled with it. It is a beautiful amplifier. I would like to try my hand at building another amplifier, and like so many I would like a single ended triode. Where do I...
  11. islanddave

Altec Lansing Model 14

here you go. i used to live on the Island............but back in Ontario for last 10 years.
  12. islanddave

Altec Lansing Model 14

Would this be suitable? http://www.simplyspeakers.com/altec-speaker-recone-kit-model-9-RK-ALMODEL9.html Thanks Dave
  13. islanddave

Altec Lansing Model 14

Ok.....they shall remain Lansings......given the fact that I live in Canada I think that the costs associated with shipping there and back plus cost of parts and labour would allow me to buy a set of these in working order plus then some. I would like to recone these myself. I looked at Great...
  14. islanddave

Altec Lansing Model 14

Who is that?
  15. islanddave

Altec Lansing Model 14

Hello All, I found a pair of these in the local electronics recycling depot.needless to say I brought them home. It appears that they had been refomed at one point, but the previous owner didn't do a good job as the one cone is misaligned, and the other cone is damaged. Am I best off...
  16. islanddave

Tube Amplifier Kits

Hell All, Thanks for the many response. Much of the dialogue was over my head, but it was nice just to be present for the conversation. I'm very happy with the power of my Dyna Kit/Clone amp............I guess I just would like the enjoyment of building another kit and SET seems to be a...
  17. islanddave

Tube Amplifier Kits

Hello All, Thanks for the suggestions. I have Cornwall speakers from 1976...I think they are rated for about 97db's@1meter ....so not too bad for a low watt tube amp. Don't get me wrong through I do absolutely love my Dyna-clone very much. I just don't think that I can make it sound any...
  18. islanddave

Tube Amplifier Kits

YES!!!!!! Thank You!!!!! now does anyone have any direct experience with him.or any more knowledgeable opinions on his amp kits? Thanks
  19. islanddave

Tube Amplifier Kits

Hello All, I currently have a VTA- ST-70 Dyanco clone amp that I built. Im running KT-66 GL re-issues and NOS 12BH7A's with a Mullard GZ-37 Recifier. I don't think I can squeeze any more out of this amp. I love the sound but keep hearing the praises of SET's. Having said that I have two...
  20. islanddave

Very Simple question

thanks!
  21. islanddave

Very Simple question

I have a Dynaco st-70 and would like to use a ss receiver for a preamp. The receiver has a pre out and main in. how do I hake the connection? Thanks Dave
  22. islanddave

Build or buy?

Very nice. I'm glad it was a good experience for you. What speakers have you matched up with this amp? My getting the ich to try a SET amp. I still love my Dynclone st-70............but everyone keeps raving about SET's.:D My Cornwalls are rated at a 98.5 db........I wounder if this would bee a...
  23. islanddave

Build or buy?

What a great thread! So many companies and designs that I didn't know about. Here is another one that may be of use. Has anyone any experience with this company? The accolades on his web site are very high.If you go to the home page and look under the "latest news" then they show the under the...
  24. islanddave

Any Bottlehead Owners Out there?

I will agree with you that the kit does seem very pricey. For me living in Canada, I have to contend with expensive shipping about $100, plus duty and brokerage fees, and then taxes.............so I'll bet it would total about $1450!!! What ticks me off is there seems to be a bit of price...
  25. islanddave

Any Bottlehead Owners Out there?

Hello, I've got the build bug again. I would like to build a nice pre amp fro my VTA St-70 amp. I had so much fun building the"Dynaclone" that I thought one of the bottlehead preamps might fit the bill. Their latest offering here...
Back
Top Bottom