Search results

1. Aunty Em

excited I just bought a Yamaha RX-V1800BL 7.1

Please wish me luck! the back side with all its "connectivities" is a little daunting for this old 2 channel girl (me). But I'm really hopeful! I already have lots of speakers to hook up to it! Still have 2 other old school stereo receivers "just in case" the surround thing isn't my cup o'. :)
  2. Aunty Em

issue with one of my systems

hey folks, I've not been around too much lately, since I got my gear more or less how I want it. But NOW I have an issue! This has to do with my TV system. I have a Harman Kardon 3390 stereo receiver, with Axiom M3 v3's and a sub woofer. I have a 32" Sharp Aquos TV. I have a cable box...
  3. Aunty Em

new toys coming! Creative Ziio 16 GB, and Logitech bluettoh receiver

My goal is to be able to hold this 7 inch tablet and choose music from it, and have it stream via the bluetooth, to the Logitech stereo receiver which will hook up as an input to old school stereos. Sure hope it works! This'll be my first time trying make something like this work outside the...
  4. Aunty Em

Chimes of Freedom-Songs of Bob Dylan - Amnesty International benefit album

Wow, 4 CD's! that's a whole lot of music. Didn't see another thread on this, so I thought I'd ask if any of you all have this or have heard some of it. I'm liking it. I really like the variety of songs that were chosen, and that so many were "off the beaten path" songs. Anyway, I just dug...
  5. Aunty Em

a couple of really great things

Happiness visited itself upon me, without me even really pursuing it very hard. Well I did pursue, but it finally came to fruition this weekend. a. I got my turntable set up correctly again after having had the old stylus blow out and disappear. (don't want to get into details, I have a whole...
  6. Aunty Em

vacuuming near components

I did a couple of searches and didn't find anything, so I hope this topic isn't one of those that has been chewed and re-chewed, and I just can't locate it. Am thinking of relocating my receivers to a bottom shelf of an audio rack. Not sure if it will have open sides. (haven't built or bought...
  7. Aunty Em

doing something WRONG, but it feels so nice

listening to the radio on 2 systems, at 90 deg to each other.... sounds GREAT! Not kidding myself the imaging is accurate, but you know what? the music isn't that well produced anyway, and so, it just really sounds great to have LOTS o'sound at the moment!
  8. Aunty Em

wow, Jico stylus just "gone"

I can honestly say I have no idea what happened. I had moved the turntable, but was unaware of any bumps or of the arm swinging over and maybe bumping on the platter. But last night I went to play a record and at first there was a little sound, but really bad. I checked connections and they...
  9. Aunty Em

recording studio for mono

Am dipping my toes into some mono re-issues. I was wondering - in, say, the late 60's, for, say, Columbia records - what would the speakers for the control booth have been like? Would it still have had 2 studio monitors (as with stereo productions) that the producers would listen to while...
  10. Aunty Em

Bob Dylan The Mono thingies

What an odd experience this is being! Firstly, I was missing some of these early albums in my regular motley bunch of Bob D. recordings. Some old vinyl I had, plus a couple 80's CD versions of his older stuff too.... lots was MIA, for some reason. So I get this Mono Cd set of Dylan's albums...
  11. Aunty Em

omg what have I done? :)

Been using a pair of Axiom M3's v3 along with an Infinity sub. They always sound decent - and occasionally, with the wind blowing just right, the right recordings and the right volume setting, and the right level of (well, I shall be honest), inebriation, they sound brilliant. They do "image"...
  12. Aunty Em

1972 yaMAHha ad song

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/sound/bettermachine.mp3 almost pee'd myself a couple of time at work today laughing at this..... Enjoy! :)
  13. Aunty Em

an unusual but kind of effective way to adjust my sub

Adjusting my sub (10" Infinity) has been a prob for me all along, and my speakers are pretty good (Axiom M3 v3's) but they just don't even attempt to go below a certain frequency. I have a Maverick DAC which is really kind of like a little pre-amp, as it has a bunch of different inputs for...
  14. Aunty Em

blocking off a window

Anybody ever done this? Seems cruel and unusual, in a way. But I'm thinking seriously of closing up most of one of my TV/music room's windows (on the side of the house and not visible from the street). The reason is to try and muffle the sound that reaches the outside of the house. Plus the...
  15. Aunty Em

trying to sensitize myself to jazz

Lately I am finding jazz most pleasant. But dang, some of it sounds just alike! Yesterday I bought John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" and, while it sounds brilliant, some of it - cut after cut sounds....kind of the same. Like the bass keeps doing this same thing, going up real high, etc. But you...
  16. Aunty Em

a question ONLY for those who cheerfully listen to CD's AND vinyl

Not talking about old releases here: but when a new album comes out, and it's offered both in CD AND also on vinyl (at twice the the cost of the CD I might add) how do you decide whether to pop for the vinyl, or go ahead with the CD? I want to get Lucinda Williams's new one, and it comes on...
  17. Aunty Em

question re: Patti Smith's "Twelve"

that's her album of covers. Anyway I ADORE this album, but I want to know if the track "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is supposed to have something like crackle noises on it? The Cd I have, which I bought used, won't even play at all on my laptop and when I listened recently on my new CD player...
  18. Aunty Em

do you use a subwoofer in conjunction with playing LP's?

I think I'm just going to skip it.... I will still use it with my digital sources and tuner....but for vinyl, which seems kind of "chesty" anyway....I'll just let the sub go. Am interested in hearing if others of you just switch the sub off when you listen to vinyl. Wish I had room for...
  19. Aunty Em

fooling myself about DVD player

Couple weeks ago I bought an inexpensive but well rated (on Amazon, so I take it with a grain of salt) Sony DVD player, thinking to use it just for music. It didn't list SACD in the list of formats it plays. Bought it anyway, as I only own one SACD and seem to be concentrating more on vinyl...
  20. Aunty Em

over all hook up question: pertaining mostly to sub

My subwoofer (10 in Infinity SSW servo subwoofer) has rca inputs and also speaker wire inputs. But then it doesn't have "return" outputs. So if you use the speaker wire inputs, you essentially give up your speaker B's from receiver, I guess. I prefer to use the RCA inputs, as I feel I get more...
  21. Aunty Em

starting to listen to vinyl again

Over the last week or 2 I have put together a 2nd system for myself, this one intended to be mostly for turntable use. Last night the speakers arrived and I hooked it all up and received pleasure and pain. Listened to one album and most of it sounded great. Listened to a 2nd album and it...
  22. Aunty Em

question about sub hook-up

I have an older receiver with no dedicated sub out. Can I go from the tape out to the sub? thx :)
  23. Aunty Em

little Polk cheapies broke...what do these symptoms tell you?

hey folks, I need to figure out whether to get this pair of small Polks I have (and now need) repaired, or toss them or what. They must be over 5 years old and I got them used from eBay. I think they worked ok one time and then I was messing with a bad amp and I think they accidentally were...
  24. Aunty Em

question about alternative Bluray player connection

I have become my Mom's go-to person with regard to her 5.1 surround system and LCD tv and Bluray player. I didn't install it and I am kind of challenged with AV stuff. Right now I have her Bluray player going direct to the TV via HDMI cable. The TV sound usually goes to big Yamaha AV...
  25. Aunty Em

my first SACD

Just got it this week and took a 1st listen Saturday night: Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On". Sound is sweet. Nothing is crashing into anything. Very velvety smooth sound. Of course it's also a very velvety smooth ALBUM, in and of itself. I gotta say though, if this SACD is representative...
Back
Top Bottom