Search results

1. gyrene

Need someone to checkout/repair Sony TA N80ES power amp

When I put power to the amp I can hear crackling noises and the red protection lamp comes on followed by an automatic shut down. Too much for me to handle. Anyone onboard that can have a look for me? Not for free.I'm paying. Please let me know at tomwardusmc@gmail.com Thank you
  2. gyrene

Please help me I.D. this small S.E.T. tube amp?

Got this small amp a few years ago...maybe three years ago. And I don't know what it is. In that time I have begun to use reel to reel tapes and would like to hook this up to a Revox A77 mk2 deck. Can I hook that deck to this amp with no preamp? "ANY" help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
  3. gyrene

Best 1/4" audio tape?

What should I be looking for in an audio tape to record from CD's? This will be used on an Akai GX220D or Akai GX630DB. So much information on types of tape,I'm trying to cut to the chase.
  4. gyrene

Guitar amp potentiometers

The potentiometer markings have always been a mess for me.Now I am to fix a broken pot on a small guitar amp known as a Gorilla TC35.Here is the schematic link: http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/misc/Gorilla_TC35-Gorilla_TC35_Circa_Mid_1980s.html The pot to be replaced is marked...
  5. gyrene

Sony TA N80es question

What might one expect to hear if running two of these in mono? The owners manual shows how to set it up so I got interested in what to expect. Volume is not a real big deal for me and my volume control rarely goes beyond 10 o'clock or so. So if it is volume only...o.k. but I won't pursue it.
  6. gyrene

Zenith G730 speakers question

I'm thinking of using an external speaker on my Zenith G730 and hooking it up to my laptop through the RCA connection on the back. Can someone recommend a speaker for this unit?
  7. gyrene

Solar & Wind energy question

If this is not the correct location please move it. Found this for wind:http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=322515-11338-45644&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3353362&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 Found this for...
  8. gyrene

Packing turntables for a move?

I could probably figure it out myself but can anyone offer an admonition on packing the plastic cover? How about several feet of bubble wrap? How about the tonearm,other than being held down in place anything I should know about?
  9. gyrene

Sansui qrx-3500 4-channel receiver

Some basic questions. Whats it all about? Can I use just two speakers? What is the front and rear all about? I heard a 4 channel stereo maybe 40 years ago by now and it did not impress me then but of course I didn't know what I was looking at. What is the general opinion of the qrx3500...
  10. gyrene

Receiver tuner dial off by a digit and a half

Is there a way to adjust the receivers tuner dial by adjusting the string or the tuner wheel? My dial is off by about a digit and and a half so when I'm listening to 102.9fm the dial is actually showing 103.4 or so. Its annoying and I can live with it if the fix is getting to involved. Thanks
  11. gyrene

FREDs an upgrade?

As long as I'm recapping a unit should I consider an upgrade to FREDs? Whats the skinny on fast diodes anyway,will there be a noticable audible difference?
  12. gyrene

Initial turntable set up

Its been so long since I thought I knew how to properly set up a turntable. So I need advice from those who know. The turntable is a Technics SL1400. Bought it used of course. Now I could use some help in properly setting it up. What would some Absolutely Musts be? and what are some...
  13. gyrene

Sony STR V5 burned resistor still good

Here is a pic of a 560 ohm resistor I found in the V5. Looks damaged like it has been struck not burned. No other local components show any sign of damage. I replaced it with a known good one. This resistor in the pic still specs out at 558 ohms. Offered as a pictorial example to those...
  14. gyrene

Murphy's Law heads up for noobs?

While reassembling a Mitsubishi DA P10 preamp I was recapping I needed one more screw to be complete. It was no where to be found.I keep all the screws and knobs in one bag. After maybe half an hour of looking all over the bench for the darn screw I was almost going to forget it or go to my...
  15. gyrene

Cartridge search

The turntable is a Technics SL1400. The preamp will be a Mitsubishi DA P10 being recapped right now. The power amp will be a home built Hiraga Super Class A 30w/ch ( http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/Jean-Hiraga-Class-A-Amplifier/) or a Rod Elliott Project 101 home built power...
  16. gyrene

Mitsubishi DA P10 recap

Someone on this board contacted me about recapping the DA P10 and asked when I was doing it would I keep him in the loop so he could get a feel for what he needed to do with his unit. Tune in here or contact me for details.
  17. gyrene

Caps on schematic with no value?

Recapping a Mitsubishi DA P10 preamp. The schematic shows some caps with values and some with no values. Why? Saving ink?
  18. gyrene

Technics SL1400 questions

Just picked up a Technics SL1400 and hooked it up to a Sansui integrated amp.Played the forty year old record and got a somewhat garbled output.It plays music but poorly. Also have a problem with how sensitive the antiskating and tonearm balance seems to be.Seems like in trying to get the two...
  19. gyrene

Fisher TA500 cap question

The two large caps on top of the chassis need to be replaced after 55 years. They are rated at 40,40,40,40,/450 volts and 40,40,/500 volts. Should I use four,40uF/450 polarized electrolytics in parallel on the one and a similiar set up on the other? Thank you
  20. gyrene

Simple tube nomenclature question

Looking for a replacement for an EL37. Some time online tells me I could also use a 6L6GC. Then off I go looking for the 6L6 and find many options with various suffix's. Like a 6L6GCMSTR and others. Is the suffix important? or is the 6L6GC part enough? Is the GC part critical? or would a...
  21. gyrene

Can we talk antennas?

Of course the internet search not only exhausted the topic but it exhausted me too. I'm using a Sherwood S3000Mk3 tuner and a Sansui AU G77Xmk2 integrated amp in the garage and I'm loving it. The tuner is suprising and the Sansui it outstanding. So of course I couldn't leave it alone and now...
  22. gyrene

Zenith G730 recap

Finally getting around to recapping this old Zenith. It works but I'm going to recap it. One of the caps in there is above the chassis and its black with the color code Yellow,Violet,Orange,Gray,Blue Thats 47000 uF,right? I'm having trouble finding a suitable replacement. Anyone have...
  23. gyrene

Kenwood KT7500 white noise

My 7500 displays some white noise while in the IF Band Wide mode. Not on the Narrow band. Easy solution is listen on narrow,right? But I'd like to make the white noise go away. Anyone run into this before? Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks P.S. Maybe its the quality of the recording because...
  24. gyrene

Pictorial evidence for nuubies

If you know,o.k. If you don't take a look. I had a small power board that was intermittent.Meaning even when powered on if I moved it I'd loose power for a second or two.Till it found its way on again. What could cause that you ask? Have a look here:O.K. maybe not the best photos ever but the...
  25. gyrene

Pioneer CS88a speaker question

This is in the DIY forum because it involves getting to the crossover in a set of these speakers. Here is a photo of the rear of the cabinet.Poor picture I know but you get the idea. There are four staples in there.Two at the top and two at the bottom. How can I remove the staples without...
Back
Top Bottom