Search results

1. guest139

What tv show are you currently binging?

I watched all of Tales From the Darkside that I bought on DVD since Halloween.
  2. guest139

Older audiophiles checking out

Millennials don’t care about sound quality or build quality. They’ve given up quality for convenience. And since most don’t even know what they’re missing it doesn’t matter. If you don’t know what a good steak tastes like and all you’re used to is good burgers then you’re okay with that. Today’s...
  3. guest139

Why is the AR 3A so desirable?

I gotta admire that someone will go through so much trouble to repair or restore them. I guess I’ve gone through enough speakers that I always find something about them that I don’t like so I eventually end up selling them. I have yet to find a keeper.
  4. guest139

Here’s what I wanna know. What do you do with a speaker that old once the woofer or mid’s spider starts to sag? Do you replace the drivers with other “original” drivers that are just as old? And how would it sound if you don’t have two drivers that weren’t made consecutively or does that just...
  5. guest139

Okay how about this. The original question was: “Why is the AR 3A so desireable?” My answer: I don’t know.
  6. guest139

You are correct. It’s just my opinion. I never said AR speakers sound bad. They actually sound good. I’ve had two pairs. My point is that they have become too expensive for what they are. So obviously they’re just going to continue to increase in price because of age. If you’ve owned a pair for...
  7. guest139

3Way Baffle.

So this is going to be a sealed cabinet?
  8. guest139

I don’t care what those old ARs sound like they’re just plain ugly with the grills removed. In my opinion even the grills are ugly. And since I only listen with grills off I won’t be buying a pair. But mainly I won’t buy a pair because they’re ridiculously overpriced. I did used to own a pair of...
  9. guest139

What do you guys think of the Cerwin Vega AT-8?

I own a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-8 and to me they sound decent overall. Better at low to moderate volume. The bass sounds okay. The tweeters are what really sucks. Especially at high volumes. They sound harsh. I thought about replacing them with soft domes but I’ve decided I’m just going to sell...
  10. guest139

Help me select a set of speakers... or maybe it's an amp I need?

I recommend Klipsch KG5.5 or KLF-30.
  11. guest139

Looking for more "full bodied" sound in this acoustically "imperfect" space?

Just install a couple of shelves on the wall for speakers to sit on and be done with it.
  12. guest139

Post your photography!!

My 8” plasma globe.
  13. guest139

Post your photography!!

Taken July 30, 2015. Before taking down the old JBL speaker clusters at AT&T Center in San Antonio, Tx to replace with new LAcoustics speakers.
  14. guest139

What are you drinking now?

Khor platinum vodka with Simply Lemonade lemonade.
  15. guest139

Realistic Optimus Pro-LX5II woofer upgrade?

I own a pair of Optimus Pro-LX5II(cat.no. 40-4078) and of course the woofer surrounds have rotted. Has anyone replaced their woofers with a different driver or tested to find the T/S parameters of the stock woofers? I’m kinda curious if they would work in an open baffle. I’d like to use my...
  16. guest139

Let's talk Turkey

That’s because some people are just stupid and you can’t fix stupid.
  17. guest139

Let's talk Turkey

If you ever deep fry a turkey you will NEVER go back to oven roasting. It always comes out moist and only takes 3-1/2 minutes per pound. In my opinion oven roasting is like an 8-track player while deep frying is a CD player.
  18. guest139

Looking for a significant upgrade from Dynaco A25 speakers

I agree with Akustic. I’ve owned the Dynaco A-25 and they sound very good. I never felt that that the tweeters needed more “shimmer” and I owned a pair of Klipsch KG3.5 at the same time to compare with. I powered them with a Pioneer SX -850, a Denon DRA-685, and even a Behringer EP2500 that’s...
  19. guest139

8ohm JBL driver measuring 4.5 ohms, is it normal?

The nominal impedance of a driver is an average based on the frequency range of said driver. Impedance varies with frequency. If you measure the impedance of a driver while the voicecoil is at rest you are measuring the DC resistance(Re). If you have a DMM hooked up to a driver to measure the DC...
  20. guest139

Audio equipment you wish you still had.

Everyone either regrets selling a piece of gear or maybe lost it in a fire, got stolen, or lost it at a storage facility. Here’s my list of items I wish I still had and/or miss: A Pioneer SX-780 receiver in pristine condition with original box/manual that I regret selling. Klipsch KG3.5...
  21. guest139

ID this Turntable!

I would guess a Denon.
  22. guest139

How is the foam not disintegrated yet??

Not all foam surrounds rot after roughly 10 years. I have a Velodyne 12” subwoofer that’s about 25 years old and the surround is still in great condition. I’ve also noticed that a lot of cheap drivers with foam surrounds don’t deteriorate. Not all foam surrounds are made of the same type of foam...
  23. guest139

Why can't I use car audio amps at home

Basically because it’s not practical. It’s like trying to use a home audio amplifier in a car. It can be done but why? It’s just more trouble than it’s worth.
  24. guest139

How do you make speakers "efficient"?

The ratio between the moving mass(MMS) of a driver compared to the strength of the magnet is usually what’s going to determine how efficient it is. Other factors such as the tolerance between the voicecoil and magnetic gap come into play. It’s kind of like comparing a 3400 pound car with an...
  25. guest139

Speaker terminal wire breaking

You would have to replace the entire tinsel lead. So where the tinsel lead is soldered underneath the black adhesive on the front of the cone, you would have to CAREFULLY remove the black adhesive being careful not to tear the cone, de-solder the lead from the voice coil wire, and then pull the...
Back
Top Bottom