Search results

1. santa

Duratex vs Exohyde speaker cabinet coatings ???

Duratex Use fine pore foam roller helped me to get a pro looking finish. Duratex does not adhere to bondo.
  2. santa

5AR4 by ?

Thanks for the info This one is for another friends amp and I am glad I can pass it on with confidence.
  3. santa

5AR4 by ?

Hello Was in need of a 5AR4 and a good friend gave me a pair of these tubes. Can anyone help me to id the manufacturer? Thanks
  4. santa

Where do I start? My Latest UBER build project…

Close spacing of the mids minimizes the comb filtering effect caused by acoustic cancellation which is determined by frequency and driver spacing.
  5. santa

Vintage 1973 GMC Canyon Lands Motorhome

Good idea to replace the Oman We had a 36ft Southwind and I recall we had issues with the Oman also always at inconvienent times. Dad did some engineering work on the FMC motor home at the San Jose facility and had arranged to obtain one that was used for a test mule. A change of management...
  6. santa

Question about constructing a capacitor discharge tool

It’s hard on the cap to discharge into a short circuit like the screwdriver blade As voltage drops across the resistor the rate of voltage change will slow to the point where you will be tempted to reach for that screwdriver. When you get to that point substitute a resistor say 10 times smaller...
  7. santa

Veneer adhesive?

Iron on adhesive was the best solution me.
  8. santa

What's The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done?

Here’s a good one A good friend somehow always came up with blown stereo gear and would invite me over to strip vintage equipment so he could use parts to build higher power Frankenstein SS amps. I remember visiting and seeing a pile of pioneer and kenwood silver going under the knife more than...
  9. santa

A Mancave Sort Of Place. Posts and discussions

Manometer for carburetor balancing?
  10. santa

Can you write on tube glass with a magic marker?

Yes no problem. Do not use paint pen. Markings can easily be removed from the glass envelope with an alcohol wipe. There are some fine point markers that will work well and not be too visually intrusive. Be careful to preserve any manufacturer makings you may see on the tube.
  11. santa

Some one please help me get sound from my setup.

I remember this from my spec 1 The spec1 is a preamp with an a/b speaker selector built inboard Note to the left of your speaker wire connection you will see another which is labeled “from power amp”. If you had a 2 channel amp you would connect the output of the amp to the “from power amp”...
  12. santa

Tube preamplifier kits.

The kit approach allows one to customize the build. Glassware audio sells a number of kits, boards and parts actually where you need to source your own chassis. However many kits do not include that tone control as it adds cost and complexity to the project but can sometimes be added if planned...
  13. santa

Stay or Go Test Gear

Keep the 8020a It is an excellent meter for use with audio gear and has a very useful manual.
  14. santa

Think There Is A Way To Repair This Scratch On A Tonearm?

Once I had a scratch similar to this and I used a small black sticker to cover the scratch I cut the sticker to kinda of match the edges of the panel and it came out looking pretty good as you had to look close to see the sticker material This worked great for me covering up the scratch that...
  15. santa

What to build with JBL 2245H?

Obviously these are made for large spaces and need large enclosures to breathe so to say. One 18 inch woofer in the home environment is enough for most folks. I have had great results with regular ported boxes and mixed results with bandpass type boxes. Next step would be basshorn but you...
  16. santa

Passive preamp build questions

Hello, Knobs on the front otherwise you see the hole in the knob where the retention screw goes and that looks awkward from eye level, from above no problem so that’s something to consider. For my shop system I have independent volume controls and that helps as sometimes something is blocking...
  17. santa

Looking for a simple 6V6/6AQ5 PP design

Parallel output tubes?
  18. santa

SET? Go big or go home?

What is the plate voltage present on those? What output transformer are you using? And lastly, have you taken any measurement data you can share? Your system is pretty awesome and I’m sure quite enjoyable to listen to.
  19. santa

SET? Go big or go home?

813 can get it done relatively safely and sound great.
  20. santa

New multimeter

I have used the fluke 6080 handhelds for the last 30 years both at home and on the job for a variety of tasks. We had in house metrology and it was very rare when a meter would fail as found calibration. The AC bandwidth is about 100 khz and the meters are easily repaired in the event of damage...
  21. santa

What are you guys think about this?

Some people reverse polarity on tweeters as a 12 DB butterworth alignment causes 180 degree phase shift. Reversing the output leads corrects that problem neatly. Many 2 element (LC) high pass crossovers are 12 db butterworth alignment but not all.
  22. santa

Does anyone know what these speakers are?

Wait a bit and see if they are still there otherwise sit tight and expect to see a lot more gear up for sale as inflation continues eat away at daily expenses and folks seek cash.
  23. santa

Is There a Dentist In the House? Vinyl Polysiloxane Question.

Best of luck in your endeavors Anything medical related has a ridiculous cost.
  24. santa

New transformer voltage HIGH

The suggestion made by THD+N is a valid approach but must be cautiously implemented as some trial and error may be required. Also looking at the schematic you posted that power supply is drawn for a single mono amp which makes sense. Maybe there is a second supply in hiding otherwise you need...
Back
Top Bottom