Search results

1. lalla

Can my restored, fully functional Fisher 500C handle 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers?

I'm using and advocate the use of a 200 VAC voltage stabilizer, like the Monster avs 2000, feeding a step-down transformer that allows for easy voltmeter observation, like the old RCA Isotap II. My voltage stabilizer directly feeds my source components that are expecting 120 VAC and feeds my...
  2. lalla

Can my restored, fully functional Fisher 500C handle 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers?

My 500c is presently driving a pair of Cornwalls and a pair of Klipschorns. In my experience, the more important issues are related to grid voltage and VAC limiting. If you are going to run current production valves (7591As) you will need to reduce the value of your grid resistors (reach out to...
  3. lalla

Klipsch and Fisher Synergy

A personal hero.
  4. lalla

I'm the housekeeper in the family. I'm really lucky as my wife loves the look and sound of vintage gear. When I purchased the Khorns awhile back I had plans to sell my long-loved Cornwalls to pay for the upgrade. It was, in fact, my wife who refused to let the Corns go after about two minutes...
  5. lalla

Thanks, All!
  6. lalla

My current listening space.
  7. lalla

Fisher hoard on the auction site

Does this seller not understand that the value of a non-operative, incomplete receiver has little relationship to the value of a fully restored example? I see the poor understanding of value displayed by this seller manifesting itself across the board with sellers and buyers alike. "Yes," I will...
  8. lalla

500-C...to buy or not to buy?

You'll be into that receiver for about 1k by the time it is safely restored by a "better-than-competent" tech. Still, it's worth every penny. Once you hear what that gem can deliver through a pair of reasonably efficient speakers, you'll have to listen to all of your music anew. But, hey, don't...
  9. lalla

Fisher 500-C speaker guidance

Thanks, Dave. What are you driving the KG's with?
  10. lalla

Thanks, Larry. This was my assumption. Having not run 6 Ohm speakers on a Fisher before, I just wanted another opinion. Cheers!!
  11. lalla

Hello, fellow Fisher lovers. I've just replaced my beloved 500-C of several years past with a newly restored example and am now looking for some advice. I have previously driven my Crites updated Klipsch Cornwall I's (8 Ohm, 101db) off the 8 Ohm tap of a partially restored 500-C. I would now...
  12. lalla

Good cassette decks?

Goldear is right, most 2-head Nakamichis will provide superior recording and playback compared to other brands. I wanted to say it myself, but I guess didn't want to be labeled as a "Nak Snob". One reason for this, by the way, is Nak's tape guide/pad lift mechanism in my view - really comes...
  13. lalla

Good cassette decks?

Ok then. As a confirmed Marantz fan, I'd say you would benefit from the best deck you could get. As you have probably noticed from my signature, I'm partial to high-end Nakamichis. This does not mean that they are for everyone, as they do require a commitment to finding one refurbished or...
  14. lalla

Good cassette decks?

Oh, I see, you have a boom box as a stand in. Sorry, I misread your post. Can you give us some info on the system you will be using, so that we have an idea of the recording/playback quality you would benefit from?
  15. lalla

Good cassette decks?

Given that you will be listening through a "boom box", I wouldn't knock yourself out on a new deck or even a higher end vintage model as you will likely not be able to benefit from the performance - this, of course, assuming you do not intend to upgrade your system significantly. Personally, if...
  16. lalla

Good cassette decks?

Tascam is about it - actually a rebranded Teac deck I believe. Can you tell us what your application will be? Depending on usage and the level of wear you expect to put the deck through, you might do better with a vintage deck that has been properly serviced. Please provide more info and perhaps...
  17. lalla

Accedential Marantz convert

Well, I plan to take your previous advice and search for a nice late-model Marantz with low-output impedance. Of course, I have to refill the coffers first as I try to keep myself reigned in as much as possible. When I first started our little hobby, as they say, I went a bit overboard and found...
  18. lalla

Oops, not tenabilities but sensibilities. :smoke:
  19. lalla

Just pulling your chain as they say Charles. I try to introduce as many people as possible to the merits of vintage gear. I know doing so introduces more buyers to the market, but I really want everyone to get the most out of their music. I suspect you are of the same view. Actually, I...
  20. lalla

Clearly you intend to further drive up the prices in order to off-load your collection at the peak of the curve. We have bad names, and a few laws, regarding such behavior. Cheers AirTime, John
  21. lalla

odd model marantz

I would guess the SR-8100dc
  22. lalla

For people who like long tonerams....

I'm not. My attention span seems to drop orders of magnitude with each passing year. Being only middle-aged, I suppose that will render me a blubbering idiot by retirement age. How encouraging! I'll be completely unaware as civilizations crumbles at my feet.:banana:
  23. lalla

Guilty:smoke:
  24. lalla

Wow! Just noticed how old this thread was.
  25. lalla

Looks to me like he is trying to achieve high compliance tracking ability while using today's relatively low compliance carts. Not such a bad idea really. Reading the posted interview with him, I couldn't help but notice his fascination with the piano recordings of Bill Evans - a pianist...
Back
Top Bottom