Search results

1. drillher

Vintage Mc275 One Channel Weaker

I have a vintage Mc275 that had a total rebuild aside from some of the resistors that were not out of spec.The right channel is weaker.When I reversed the preamp.inputs,the same rt.channel was weaker.Also,the amp.now sounds dull like there is a blanket over the speakers.I had a replacement tubes...
  2. drillher

Power Conditioner Necessary?

I have a vintage Mc275 that I have plugged into a power bar.Should I consider a power conditioner,and if so,what are some good options that are not super expensive?Thanks, Dave
  3. drillher

Changing 12AU7s To 6CG7s In Mc275

Has anybody used the adapters to change the 12AU7s to 6CG7s in a Mc275 or other Mac amp.?I was told that it can be a improvement.
  4. drillher

Isonoe Feet For SL-1200

Isit worth investing in the KAB Isonoe feet for the SL-1200.I have the stock feet on mine.If I bump the rack even not that hard,the record will skip.
  5. drillher

Corning 703 Shipping Costs

I'm thinking of putting some fiberglass panels behind curtains that cover a window on the rear wall which is about 4' from the listening position.I was looking on line at Corning 703 panels 2" thick.All of the sellers want at least 30.00 for shipping.Has anybody sourced it or equivalent product...
  6. drillher

Tube Bass Traps

I saw DIY instructions for building tube traps using Knauf fiberglass pipe insulation.My local supplier caries Manville fiberglass pipe insulation which they told me is about the same to Knauf.Has anybody used Manville fibergalss pipe insulation with good results?Thanks, Dave
  7. drillher

Good Sounding CDs

I wish that there was a list of CDs that sound very good.It is a gamble buying a CD since some sound very nice while others range from dull to bright and artificial sounding.
  8. drillher

Source For Good Chassis Mount RCA's

I have had a weak right channel in my Hagerman Clarinet.It seemed to improve when I wiggled the male RCA plugged into the right channel.I figure that the first thing I will try is changing the chassis RCA connector.Where is a good source for decent chassis mount RCA's?Thanks, Dave
  9. drillher

Mc240 Low Voltages On 4 Tubes

The power supply was rebuilt,and all of the coupling caps were replaced.Only about a dozen of the resistors were replaced so far.On V1 at pins 1,6 I am measuring 86v where it should be 103.On V2 pin 2 is 85v but should be 103,pin 7 is only 30v but should be 85v.On V4 pin 6 is 314v but should be...
  10. drillher

Replacing Resistors in Mc240

I plan to replace some or all of the resistors in my Mc240.What is the best way to desolder the old resistors from the solder lugs without damaging the lugs?Should I clip the old lead and suck up old solder and twist new lead over the old and re-solder,or should I remove all of the old resistor...
  11. drillher

Sub Types Of Mc240?

Jim McShane puts together two different resistor sets for the Mc240.I didn't know that there were two variants.How do I tell which type I have?
  12. drillher

Anybody Using audioquest X2 Speaker Wire?

I was looking for standard 10 ga.wire,but the dealer claimed that Audioquest X2 wire is better so that's what I bought.
  13. drillher

Anybody Using Magnepan 1.7's?

How do you like them and how much power does it take to drive them to reasonable levels?
  14. drillher

M.L. Electromotion ESL's

Has anybody heard logan Martin Electromotion ESL,their entry level electrostatics? They sell for about 2k/pair.
  15. drillher

How Do You Set Azimuth?

Does anybody use a volt meter and a test record vs setting by ear or by eye for azimuth?I may try using a volt meter.
  16. drillher

Both M&K Subs Now Working

I bought a second M&K V-125 powered sub on ebay which had a bad 60 hz hum right out of the box.As suggested,I ordered and replaced the electrolytic power supply filter caps which solved the problem! I have the subs inches away from the two main speakers.The subs are positioned a bit off angle so...
  17. drillher

M & K Sub Still Has Hum!

I sprayed the pots in the plate amp of my new to me M & k V-125 sub,but it still has a unacceptable 60 cycle hum.Moving the level pot can make the hum louder or somewhat softer.Is there anything else that I can try before ordering a new plate amp from Parts Express?I also noticed that 5 wires...
  18. drillher

M & K SUB Has Hum

I just received a M & k V-125 sub from a ebay seller.I plugged it in and there is a fairly loud hum.What should I do to try to eliminate the hum?Is it easier to just order a new plate amp?Thanks, Dave
  19. drillher

ONE Vs Two Subs

I am running one M & K V-125 sub.I think that adding a second sub and having each sub near the main speakers would make for a more balanced sound.Anybody advocate two subs rather than one?
  20. drillher

MC240 Pictured In Wall Strreet Journal

In the Personal Journal section of Thursdays WSJ,there is a picture of a Mc240.The article describes how a music studio has been using it for years because of the desired qualities that it does,or doesn't impart to the music signals passed through it.The article mentions how vacuum tubes...
  21. drillher

Don't Underestimate VTA

Last weekend I installed a Denon DL-S1 cartridge on my Technics 1200.It initially sounded really nice,but I noticed more record surface hiss and pops.I tightened the headshell screws another 1/8 turn or so to really snug the screws.the surface noise floor really improved after tightening the...
  22. drillher

How Do You Set Your Azimuth?

I set up my cartridge so that the bottom flat area is parallel to the record surface,but I have read that the stylus is not always in accord with the cartridge body,or even the cantilever.The Fogometer is one solution,but a bit expensive.Are there any accurate,easy ways to dial in accurate...
  23. drillher

Which SUT or Head Amp.For LOMC?

I have read that Bob's Devices 1131 SUT is a nice unit.It is priced at almost 1200.00.The 3340AH blue model is 850.00 and I can't find many reviews.I'm interested to know what people here use for their LOMC. Dave
  24. drillher

Anybody Using Bob's Devices 3440AH SUT?

I was wondering how the 3340AH transformers compair to the more expensive1131 transformer unit. Dave
  25. drillher

How To Know If Rectifier Tube Is Bad?

How would I know if the rectifier tube in my Clarinet line stage goes bad?Thanks, Dave
Back
Top Bottom