Search results

1. D

Official AudioKarma G.A.S. Owner Club - The Great American Sound Company!

G.A.S. gear and a connection to Audio Alchemy Hi all, I just found this area at AK - how cool! I have a Son of Ampzilla that James Bongiorno upgraded some years ago. It still works great and sounds even better. I also have a Sumo Charlie that Punker X upgraded the audio path and Bongiorno...
  2. D

Anybody out there using Cryo-treated Tubes?? Worth the $$??

For not a lot of dough you could try the Groove Tubes 12AX7M, considered by some to be one of the best current production 12AX7 tubes. You can get them from a lot of sellers for just over $20 each. Then order the same tube model cryo-treated from www.cryoset.com and you'll have them side by...
  3. D

PS audio Pre Amp

I currently have multiple PS Audio power plant units to power different parts of my system and I like them very much. Three of them have the new PS approved mods from Cullen Circuits (yes, I think the mods made the units even better). Rick Cullen was production manager at PS for years and...
  4. D

WooAudio6 Headphone Tube Amp.

Yeah, I ordered one...... Dave
  5. D

WooAudio6 Headphone Tube Amp.

Woo headphone stand! Wow -- that's a great looking headphone amp! I'm using an Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL Mk3 that was heavily upgraded by Bill at Response Audio in New York. Even though the iron is good I like it even better in OTL mode...just a more direct connection to the music...
  6. D

Old Vinyl to CD Recording?

Like HomerJ sez...make the CDs this way. You can always rip these "masters" to PC later for cleanup work with Wave Repair, Goldwave or another program, but you'll always have the original to work from, or listen to! I do it this way and use Wave Repair. I find that over time I get better at...
  7. D

Wavepad - audio cleanup

One thing you might try is getting a fingerprint in the music, but vary the settings to see if it will isolate the hiss only. Or ask Clive what his recommendation is. Good luck! Dave
  8. D

Most quiet/sensitive tuner?

First, the TX-9500II got all new electrolytic caps. The power supply got higher value, low-ESR Nichicon HE, the rest of the non-audio path electrolytics were replaced by Panasonic FC and FM caps, also low-ESR. All audio path caps were replaced by BlackGate N series bi-polar. Audio path...
  9. D

Audio Alchemy

You might also try Peter Madnick, Mark's partner in Audio Alchemy. Peter's new site is: http://www.alchemy2.com/ I've attached a GIF that someone drew of the Power Station 2 -- Alchemy's best and highest current supply. It's also the only one that was regulated. Maybe you can work from...
  10. D

Most quiet/sensitive tuner?

For flat out sensitivity and quietness, I like my Pioneer TX-9500II tuner. In its current modified form, it sounds darn good, too. Among the other tuners I have, I bought a Pioneer TX-6800 for a song and completely recapped it, upgraded signal path resistors and used Schottky rectifier...
  11. D

Wavepad - audio cleanup

I've never tried Wavepad but I use Wave Repair with great success. Here's the author's brief intro: "Wave Repair is a shareware editor specifically designed for the restoration of WAV files that were recorded from vinyl records. It can also be used to process recordings made from tapes, but...
  12. D

List Of Tuners That Can Properly Filter HD Radio Self Noise?

Hi all, I've read through Brian Beezley's info and it's great. I'm not sure I understand it all, but I'm trying as I go. Anyway, at the end of one page he lists some tuners with postdetection filters that should be able to virtually eliminate HD Radio self noise as an issue with analog...
  13. D

Old AMPZILLA to fix(if I can!!)

You might want to ask the guy who designed it -- James Bongiorno. His website is http://www.ampzilla2000.com/ and his email is jamesbongiorno@ampzilla2000.com. If anyone can help you, it's him. He's rethought some of its design over the years and can help you make it more reliable when you...
  14. D

Monster HTS-3600 MKII power center - good for hi-fi system?

Typically the output is highly distorted when the battery is boosting or creating the output, but its intended use is usually for PCs & networks. The APC units now made for a/v use might be better suited, though. I don't know anything about the quality or frequency range of the filtering...
  15. D

With absolutely no interest in starting a holy war over power conditioning products, here's what I use -- PS Audio Power Plant regenerators for all my low-level gear, including tubes. To me, my gear sounds better with them and they have protection. Based on my experience and to keep price...
  16. D

I suspect that the "high current" outlets have parallel filters and the other outlets have serial filters. It's not so much how much filtering you have, rather it is whether the filters limit current. Parallel filters don't limit it, serial filters usually do but can be even more effective...
  17. D

Power line conditioners

Fair enough -- to each our own! Dave
  18. D

Power line conditioners

I've not tried a Powervar model, either, but visiting http://www.powervar.com indicates the ABC-1200 unit is an isolation transformer with surge suppression and some form of noise filtering, no further details on it. It may well be a good unit, but look around...you might find isolation...
  19. D

Where to find Healthkit Assembly Instructions?

Hi there...sounds like a fun project for you. I've purchased Heath manual reproductions here from Don here: http://www.d8apro.com/heath1.htm and the quality is great. Looks like he has your AA-32 manual, too. He worked for Heath for years and has a great collection of manuals. That...
  20. D

Power line conditioners

I'm sure you'll receive a lot of suggestions, but please look at the PS Audio products in your search. Their passive products do a great job filtering the AC down to relatively low frequencies and won't limit your system's power. If you want extremely high performance line conditioning, PS'...
  21. D

Whats been in your "too hard" basket longest but you haven't given up on

Ariston Integrated Amplifier I have an Ariston Integrated Amplifier that developed problems a while back...anyone have a schematic or service manual for this nice, small amp? Or know where I can get one? It's quite nice when working. Thanks, Dave
  22. D

Sending vintage amp to creator makes me nervous.

James isn't a believer in boutique parts like audiophile caps, resistors or rectifiers. The resulting improvements will be due to circuit reworks and modern semiconductors. They might not quite reach the Nth degree that premium audiophile parts might allow, though. James has reworked three...
  23. D

cheap wire sources?

Try here for great wire at cheap prices: http://www.apexjr.com I've had great luck with the Teflon jacketed silver plated stuff. Dave
  24. D

Murano Audio ICE Power Amps?

Hi all, Has anyone here actually seen or heard a Murano Audio amp? http://www.murano-audio.com/ I've read only a little about the ICE power modules but have never heard any products built with them. I guess there are a lot of them now, including the PS Audio Trio A-100, too. I've never...
  25. D

How many "former salespeople"?

I was at Absolute Sound from 1980 - mid-'84 in Ann Arbor, East Lansing and Royal Oak, MI. Then on to Polk for 13 years and now 10 years with Definitive Tech. Ahhh, I love music and this business... Dave
Back
Top Bottom