Search results

1. lukiedog

Thiel CS3.5 Replacement Drivers and Ohm

The MDT-32s don't hold up very well over time, in my experience. I got a batch of used ones that tested very poorly on DATS, flat impedance curve with the peak shifted out towards 2000Hz. Apparently, this is a sign of degraded ferrofluid, so that service that would also replace the fluid is...
  2. lukiedog

Here are some ideas for tweeter substitution. The D28/2 was used by Thiel late in the CS3.5 without crossover modification, it is the best sub if it can be found, otherwise, the ones listed here as subs for D28/2 itself. These are sonically similar tweeters, they would still need to fit the...
  3. lukiedog

Tweeters: Why don't you try repairing the voice coils on the D28AF? Should cost all of $4 for the pair...
  4. lukiedog

Dennis Murphy Pioneer SP-BS22-LR DIY Modifications

These remain my favorite bookshelf speakers. I also did the Dennis Murphy mods for the BR-1, the AA+ for about $400 in cost, but I believe these surpass them. They just seem to sound "right" for vocals and acoustic instruments. And for so cheap! I do use a sub to fill in the low end. These...
  5. lukiedog

Snell problems

I've done a ton of these woofers, but long ago. If what you need is a fillet filled surround, then contact myaudioaddiction.com for them, 8" I believe, same as for Boston Acoustics. Forget those places charging $40, these surrounds are costing them $1 each, if not less. Crooks, no need to...
  6. lukiedog

Ordered some JBL Studio 530s thisafternoon....

These are on sale again at jbl.com for $279.99 shipped.
  7. lukiedog

Vintage speaker insulation replacement?

Fiberglass doesn't fall apart like that when you pull it out. Probably cotton or wool. There are some cotton batts available at big box hardware stores that would be a suitable sub. Keep them off the back of the woofer and make sure you leave an open path from behind the woofer to the port if...
  8. lukiedog

Sony "Motorboating" Tape Deck- 1982

Trying to track down my very first tape deck. This was probably my first pirating-oriented piece of hardware (lots of water under that bridge for sure!) must have copied a hundred albums onto tape. Met many a dorm denizen willing to lend me their albums for the sake of screwing over "the man."...
  9. lukiedog

How To Get Best Deal on Shipping Speakers

I plan on unloading some speakers, mostly bookshelf and was wondering if there are any programs out there by the shippers (or third parties) to get the best deal on shipping them. I will probably be using eBay and accepting paypal.
  10. lukiedog

Alright, Who Else Picked Up a Set of Badges for their TC-50s Yesterday?

Re-listed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spica-Speaker-Badge-Logo-Custom-Made-Aluminum-TC-50/174023248117?hash=item28849808f5:g:mQUAAOSwmxZdcnKj
  11. lukiedog

I got my pair, but there is a large group out there that appreciate this speaker and would like them properly badged. Hard to believe some go unsold for under $200 nowadays, these set the standard for imaging at one time.
  12. lukiedog

Rsound Foam Failure after 11 years - Large Advent

Yes, I experienced early failure on my refoamed 4002 woofers I converted to an econowave some 7 years ago. I think I got mine from looneytunes2001. They were the proper thin wall foam with flat inner ring mounted out front on the pincushion frame. I agree, they should have lasted longer. I...
  13. lukiedog

Vendor apparently has been making badges for a number of vintage equipment. So very cool. https://www.ebay.com/usr/burtnbec
  14. lukiedog

I kid you not that I have had a tickler on eBay for over 10 years waiting to complete my restoration of a pair of TC-50s. Finally, it looks like someone is making replacement badges that seem to have fallen off of every pair made. Six sets sold within 24 hours. Hopefully he will make more...
  15. lukiedog

Here you go. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-RADIO-SHACK-PCB-Multipurpose-PC-Board-780-Holes-/253999405595 Also, Newark: https://www.newark.com/multicomp/mc01010/prototype-board-phenolic-95mm/dp/22AC8325 Multicomp Part No. MC01010
  16. lukiedog

Here is the BOM that is no longer showing. MY PE order was $65 total, but did not include the board, obviously. I see I paid $2 more back in 2015 for the tweeters. I think about $70 in parts for the pair would be a reasonable estimate.
  17. lukiedog

Having the boards does make the process easier. I believe they may stll be available at the RS site, believe I have seen them on eBay also.
  18. lukiedog

These are on sale again for $58 at Frys. I have really enjoyed these over the years with the Dennis Murphy mod, which is essential. An absolute bargain of a speaker for under $150...
  19. lukiedog

Buying A Multi-Meter

I have found even cheap meters to be accurate. The red HF model that is frequently given away for free (or $5) is very much right on with readings from my Fluke 77, but it takes a few more seconds for the reading to stabilize. Have had it for at least 5 years. I got it for working on the car...
  20. lukiedog

A CD that plays on your turntable.

Apparently, the "vinyldisc" remains slow to catch on...
  21. lukiedog

Cassettes missing pressure pads

I found what could be the ideal felt pad replacement. It is 3M SP-820-NA. There are several self adhering felt pads for floor protection use, but this one seems to be the right thickness. I haven't tried it yet, though. Cut with a razor...
  22. lukiedog

Question about removing vinyl from Klipsch Quartets.

That is formica and the adhesive probably contact cement. Lacquer thinner seems to be the proper solvent to take that off. A good technique is to soak a thin piece of cloth in it and let it sit on the glue to be removed. After 5 minutes or so, use a plastic spatula to wipe off the goo. Be...
  23. lukiedog

Minimus 7 Loudspeakers - Measurements

I'll be taking pictures of my setup and documenting results from various tweaks at some point. In the meantime, here are some additional measurements someone took for the Minimus 7 with a replacement woofer. http://www.lostinsound.space/minimus-7-upgrade/
  24. lukiedog

Here is a response of the Minimus 77 w/ PZ2.1 crossover with and without the perforated metal grille. Keep the grille on, no ill effect.
  25. lukiedog

Attached are frequency response plots generated by REW with a UMIK-1 mic. The speaker is the Minimus 77 w/ the PZ2.1 mod. I must say that I was never impressed with the 7s or 77s, never understood what the fuss was about, though I did approve of the build quality. But these 77s with the...
Back
Top Bottom