Search results

1. kylemac

Upgrading vintage Audio-Technica cartridge to a modern AT cart?

Folks, About four years ago I purchased a vintage Denon DP-2550 at a pawn shop (look for post about the experience and the refurbishment) that came with a nice Audio-Technica LS-400 cartridge from the late 70s' Lab Series. I really like the sound of that cart, but moved two years ago to a...
  2. kylemac

Allison Acoustics 110 mystery

So, I roll by the thrift store today. On the shelf, priced $4.50, are a set of vintage Allison Acoustics speakers. They are the "Allison: 110" model. Despite the cracked 8-inch woofer surrounds, they came home with me. I have seen several variations of the "Allison: 110" speaker while...
  3. kylemac

Reisong Boyuu A10 as a power amplifier?!

Folks, I am interested in dipping my foot into the world of tubes. That said, specifically I'm looking at the Reisong Boyuu A10 that Steve Guttenberg reviewed and loved last February. However, I'd like to use the Reisong Boyuu A10 as a power amplifier for my NAD 3020. Most of you know how...
  4. kylemac

Help! Pioneer PL-5 turntable spins in reverse

Folks, I rescued a Pioneer PL-5 turntable from the pawn store last week.... used, but in the original box with a decent Stanton Gold cartridge on the tonearm. While the box said "tested," I accepted it was not. For $50, I took a shot, as I hate to see vintage electronics go to places where...
  5. kylemac

Denon DCD-3000 cd player pawn shop find worth fixing?

Folks, I returned to the pawn shop yesterday in search of vintage electronics. I was not disappointed. When I left the store, I was walking fast and carrying a monster Denon DCD-3000 compact disc player (circa 1994) for a measly $15. A perusal of AK comments say very favorable things about the...
  6. kylemac

Denon DP-2550 turntable... Or, "How I beat the pawn shop"

Last week I had some free time, so after coming up empty while combing the thrift stores for vintage components, I was drawn to a well-known nearby pawn shop franchize. I still don't know why, but pawn shops are sad, sad places to me... Hard luck stories seem to fill the shelves. That said, I...
  7. kylemac

Drooping Pioneer PL-400 counterweight

Folks, I have a Pioneer PL-400 turntable that's in great shape, except the counterweight is now drooping and drags. This problem is also causing my Shure M97xE to be off balance and actually sag in the middle. Because the cartridge rides low as it is, I've had to take it off... as it scraped...
  8. kylemac

Help. Pioneer PL-400 tonearm lift repair

Folks, I am repairing my vintage Pioneer PL-400 turntable bought from a guy when I was in the Army. It's sat unused since about 1990. Since then, the counterweight, headshell and cartridge all disappeared. Meanwhile, the tonearm lift is broken, and the thin half is missing. (In the PL-400...
Back
Top Bottom