Search results

1. V

Garage Treasures!

Got to share a recent experience with you all! I was hired this weekend to epoxy/ coating a garage floor at a very wealthy gentleman's estate here in a very affluent area of the north shore of Long Island, NY. The job was to paint the floor of a four car garage. So I decided to move half of the...
  2. V

Adcom GFP-555ll Broken PCB Pad

I've done it again! Wow these Adcom boards are fragile! In the picture below I have the negative side of a new cap with the pad broken/ removed during the removal of the former cap at that location. With very little effort it has been completely removed and the solder has nothing to stick to...
  3. V

Adcom GFA-5500 wellness check help

Back in 1997 I purchased this wonderful amp new and its been a great performer for all these years. Its never been checked or serviced and I would like to check the bias and DC offset but I am unsure how to proceed. I've worked on a few receivers while consulting the service manuals to check and...
  4. V

Sansui G-8000 Receiver Issues

Took apart my beloved G today. Pretty much had all the boards unscrewed from the face/ chassis to give the switches/ pots a Deoxit bath. A couple of years ago I recapped this unit, my first ever. Made my share of mistakes but when I was all finished with it I was pretty blown away at how great...
  5. V

G-8000 on the blink

A few years ago I recapped this fine unit and lately it's been acting up. For instance, now when I turn down the volume all the way I still have output, and when I turn the input selector pot the power meters jump half way across the range and it temporarily goes into protection. I checked the...
  6. V

Pioneer SX-780 power packs

I recently purchased a 780. I was a little skeptical but I went ahead with it because of who I bought it from and their excellent reputation. The condition was described as near-mint and I was pretty shocked at first look to find it as such. So I opened her up and checked the DC offset and it...
  7. V

Pioneer SX-1250 Receiver

I've been banging my head against the wall with one of my 1250's for a while now. This unit was the first vintage unit that I'd ever worked on, a sacrificial lamb in my journey of restorations, so to speak. I've since acquired another 1250 and followed the excellent thread by MattD to the letter...
  8. V

Sansui G-8000 Problem

Hello to all. A while back I capped a G-8000 and all was great for a few years. Then recently I noticed that the left channel was coming in and out so I cleaned the balance pot, and the rest of the switches and pots while in there-using DeOxit. Now I find that the volume control won't turn off...
  9. V

Pioneer CT-F1250

Howdy! I am doing a restoration on a CT-F1250 and the power supply board has a few FUBAR diodes and I am trying to source the replacements for them- they are S3VC10, S3VC10R There is little/ no information regarding this on the WHOLE web and AK! Any help would be great! BTW- HAPPY...
  10. V

Pioneer SX-1250 Receiver

Has anyone ever modified the SX-1250 by taking the audio straight from the Flat Amp ( to retain the volume control) and sent it straight to the Pre- Outs ? I will never sell it so I am not concerned about keeping it original. I just want the best possible sound and a shorter signal path. I'd...
  11. V

God, I hope someone sees this soon!

Pioneer SX-1250 Receiver. Control Board/ Tone Amp Ass'y AWG-041, at pin #8 there's a White Wire and at the same board at pin #3 there's a Brown wire- Could someone PLEASE tell me where these two wires go? I checked the manual and the schematic and I can't see anywhere that these go out to...
  12. V

Calling all who dare to explain

I have been learning all that I can for a few years now about vintage receivers while I try to understand how they work. I've replaced some caps, cleaned some pots, and adjusted some test points. I still lack the basic understanding of what I am working on when I open up a Pioneer SX-1250 for...
  13. V

512-KSC2310YNBU substitution?

Hey to all! Been gone awhile. Working on a Pioneer SX-1250 , the Power Amp Board (s) AWH-048 at the Q11 2SC869 and for the life of me I can't seem to find out what to use since the KSC2310 is now obsolete. Doing the C11 with 667-ECQ-V1H224JL2 .22 50V film cap at the same time. Any help...
  14. V

Could Be The Best I've Ever Heard...Period!

I built a pair of speakers based on the RS Kappa 8 for my garage system. The only actual driver that I used from those cabinets was the mid-bass PolyGraph K. The drivers are an Arum Cantus Ribbon, Tang Band 3" Dome Mid-range, the Polygragh K, and a 12" Woofer designed to work in a sealed...
  15. V

Yamaha CR-1020

I tried to check/ set idle current on my CR-1020 after recapping the two main boards, and replacing two C458 transistors and the readings were .7 V and .9V The heat sink is very hot and it won't come out of protection . While I had the two main boards out I cleaned and re-greased the...
  16. V

Output Transistors

I have a Pioneer SX-1250 and a Sansui G-8000 that I've restored. In fact, today I did the DC offset and bias adjustments to both and the results were very nice. The trim pots were in very nice shape and responded very well to the adjustments. Now all is well with both. Good feeling to do this...
  17. V

Pioneer SX-990 Opinions Wanted

To restore, or not restore, that is the question. :music: I recently bought a Pioneer SX-990. I plugged it in, turned it on and first sound that it made was a thump. Then after a few minutes I heard crackling, popping, and some other nasty sounds, all mixed in with the music. Well, I...
  18. V

Yamaha CR-1020 Receiver - NO SOUND!

Calling all AKM familiar with this fine piece of audio history. I have another thread in " Vintage SS" regarding same topic. This CR-1020 was fine before I started messing with it. I pulled the main cap board and replaced all caps and then the power supply board and replaced all those...
  19. V

Yamaha CR-1020 Receiver Resto

Hey everyone. Been a while since I've been here, hope you're all well. I am having a problem with a really sweet CR-1020 that I am working on. I've replaced the caps on the the PCB that holds the main filter caps, as well as the board where the speaker relay is located, pictured below. Upon...
  20. V

Aurum Cantus G2Si BIG trouble!

I just bench tested these two before I use them in a project I have going on and they measured at .3 ohms! I only used them for a little while in a pair of Kappa RS 8- do I need to replace the ribbons? Anyone know about these? Sure appreciate ANY help I can get on these!
  21. V

Klipsch KG 5.5 Lovers!

I am in heaven! I re-did these and wow is all I can say!
  22. V

Arum Cantus G2Si

I am building a crossover that includes this tweeter driver and the sensitivity is rated at 96db with a 6ohm impedance. The other drivers in the box all have a sensitivity of 90db- so I need to put a resistor in series just before the positive lead connection to the tweeter. Is this correct so far?
  23. V

I am confused...really confused!

OK- I just put in some MPP film caps in parallel (Bridged the terminals) in eight main filter caps in my Sansui G-8000. The caps I speak of are new Panasonic 8200uf, four left, four right. The value I used is .82 uF( 1/10,000 of 8200uF) 400VDC 3% and I must say that I hear a difference that's...
  24. V

Infinity RS Kappa 8

Well it's official. The Kappa 8 restoration journey has begun. Today I pulled the massive crossovers out of the cabs and began the job of separating the two halves of it. Truly a colossal, double decker, collection of PP caps, NPE caps, resistors, inductors, lpads, switches, binding posts, and...
  25. V

Tuner expert needed in ny area

I have a Sansui G-8000 that I've been restoring that desperately needs a tuner alignment an possibly other tuner related work. The rest of the unit is fine but the tuner section is way beyond my ability. Can someone recommend a great tech in the Long Island/ NYC area? I would love to avoid...
Back
Top Bottom