Search results

1. Dr. Mordo

Current state of stylii and carts

All this talk about AT reminded me I have a few carts I pulled from junker TTs stored away that I haven't thought about for a decade. So now the question becomes should I stick with the sure or move to one of the other carts? For me the goal is clean, accurate reproduction with as little...
  2. Dr. Mordo

I appreciate the recommendations so far! Manfred, I am FAR from an expert on stylii characteristics. When I had the N97xE, I felt like it had more crisp treble response and a bit less surface noise. That's what I want, I'm open to suggestions! BTW my current turntable is a Pioneer PL-516...
  3. Dr. Mordo

Tell me about EPI speakers

I have a bunch of pretty good 70s and 80s speakers, but my favs are my EPIs. I love the simple genius of their 2 way designs. I have a set of 200Cs in my living room, and they are just great. Deep on the bottom, smooth but not lacking in the high end, I love them. I have a set of 100s hooked...
  4. Dr. Mordo

I've used a Shure M91E cart for 20 years or so. 10 years ago I got a N97xE for it for $60 that sounded great, but was unfortunately destroyed by my infant. I'd like to get another hyperelliptical stylus, but man how things have changed! Jico SAS $223 Bliss 761-DHE $113 (and mixed reviews)...
  5. Dr. Mordo

Crude EPI-100 isobaric speakers - how do they work ?

Would the EPI-100 woofers reproduce that type bass in a sealed box ? No, the passive resonator or a port is critical in order to hit those lows. I recently fired my EPI 200Cs back up after a 3 years break, and I'm more in love with them than ever. They are just amazing for a 2 way speaker...
  6. Dr. Mordo

Good 4way speaker you can recomend?

Yeah, I was gonna recommend HPMs. Any of the 4 ways should be pretty damn good. That said, I'm headed the opposite way - why use four drivers when two will do the job?
  7. Dr. Mordo

Hacked up HPM 1500's

The woofers look original to me, so I'd be interested. But I'd pull a woofer and examine it to see what it is. However - be VERY careful. As mentioned, some HPM woofers are almost as brittle as eggshell and will crack if you look at them wrong. If it turns out the woofers are original, I'd...
  8. Dr. Mordo

What JBL:s to look for?

I agree about the L150s - they are a true sleeper. I also have the L150A and L150, and I can't choose a favorite. But I like both more than my 4310, 4311B, or L112.
  9. Dr. Mordo

What JBL:s to look for?

Honestly, HPM-100s are just JBL L100s on steroids. You're going to drop well over $1000 to get better bass response from a vintage speaker. You might be able to score some reasonably priced L150s if you hunt (they aren't bad - I have two pairs), but the better JBLs (250Ti, L250, L220) are gonna...
  10. Dr. Mordo

I need a new receiver

I'm a huge fan of the Sansui G series. You can get the mid-range versions for a few hundred, and they are amazing for the money. They have an incredibly clarity, and have a lot of power. Amazing amps. The one downside is the power supply will definitely need to be recapped if it hasn't...
  11. Dr. Mordo

I like my HPM 100's

I have the 1100s. I don't find them edgy at all, and I listen at all levels. That said, I don't consider them audiophile speakers so much as big-ass rock speakers. They are currently resting while I have a set of JBL L150As as my mains. But even though I have too many speakers, I'd jump on...
  12. Dr. Mordo

Another Electro Voice Interface D/Sentry VI thread.

Interesting. You can certainly see why they crossed over the woofer where they did!
  13. Dr. Mordo

As far as I can tell the images are identical - did you accidentally upload the same image twice? What's there is pretty interesting, though!
  14. Dr. Mordo

Thought y'all might enjoy this

It seems like once a year I find something good. A couple of months ago I got 2 sets of somewhat beat up JBL 4310s and a set of L100s, a set of Marantz model sixteen amps, plus a bunch of studio rack gear for around $300 for everything. I missed out on the clean sets of Heresys and JBL 4312s...
  15. Dr. Mordo

Really torn, advice please on Sansui G6700

Bear in mind it will almost certainly need a recapping, which will cost $300-$400. But I'd be very tempted in your shoes.
  16. Dr. Mordo

Thought y'all might enjoy this

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/ele/4401881873.html No affiliation, btw (which I shouldn't need to post in this instance).
  17. Dr. Mordo

All you need to do is take high quality pics of the top and bottom of the circuit board and I think we can figure it out. It should be very similar to the schematics we have posted already. We may not even need pictures of the bottom, honestly. When it comes to deciphering the eq curves...
  18. Dr. Mordo

Sadly I have never heard a set of I-Ds so I can't say what the difference would be. I am dubious about the "open the port, raise the pitch of the box" because it seems contrary to the speaker design concepts I have studied. But looking at what Peter says above"The first mode was where the two...
  19. Dr. Mordo

Much of that similarity will be a function of your room. Rooms amplify certain freqs and muffle others, so they can drastically change the sound of your speakers. Some of it you can fix with a room eq, but fixing the room as much as possible then tuning the rest out with an eq is preferable by...
  20. Dr. Mordo

You should watch American ebay like a hawk. There's a function called "Follow This Search" at the top of the page. It updates you everyday if you click "Email me when new items..." Search for "electro voice interface" without the quotes then follow the search and just wait until one pops...
  21. Dr. Mordo

The Interface A service manual has both the full schematic (5 transistor version) including the power supply and the circuit board layout. It would be not too difficult to etch a circuit board using the layout in the manual, and then you just have to source the parts (replacing appropriate...
  22. Dr. Mordo

Help motivate me..... JBL L150a end-project....

I don't want to pile on, but I have to agree - it's very difficult to hear the difference between the 044 and 033. Difficult enough that I consider them equivalent. There is a much bigger difference between the dome tweeters and JBLs older cone tweets, or even between the newer LE5-XX vs the...
  23. Dr. Mordo

Help motivate me..... JBL L150a end-project....

I'm not positive I understand what you are asking, but your L150As are absolute classics. I'm looking at a set now that are my primary speakers, which means they beat out my HPM-1100s, L100, 4310, 4311B, L150s (though really these are comparable to the L150As), and a few others. The tweeter...
  24. Dr. Mordo

Finally started the E-Waves. Some questions.

Yeah, those grills are classy. Very nice!
  25. Dr. Mordo

I'm pretty sure the whole removable port thing is not true. First, I haven't personally seen it in the literature, and I've read all I can find. Second, it just doesn't make sense when considering basic speaker design. I'm a little out of my depth here, so hopefully this makes sense. A port...
Back
Top Bottom