Search results

1. S

Kensonic/Accuphase owners show your stuff.

The Accuphase P-20 has a new friend. The Accuphase E-302B. I was looking for a preamp when this came up for sale. It sounds really nice. Big, big soundstage and exceptionally musical. Sweet sounding. Unfortunately the damping factor is much to high for my speakers (Altec 604 8G) and bass...
  2. S

Kensonic/Accuphase owners show your stuff.

Freshly recapped P-20. Down there on the floor. No sexy VU meters but it is dual mono.
  3. PXL_20230523_050930860

PXL_20230523_050930860

Accuphase P-20
  4. S

Wharfedale Owners Thread

Yes these are from Radio People. There seems to be no end of variations and deviations in these old Wharfedales
  5. S

Wharfedale Owners Thread

'Ive had the Rosedales out and have been listening to them for about a week What wonderful speakers! I didn't fully appreciate them when I first bought them about 10 years ago and am glad that I squirrelled them away in the basement. And am even more happy that I dug them out to give them a...
  6. S

Wharfedale Owners Thread

The Dayton caps will do me just fine. I do have some Russian PIO caps squirreled away for an Altec crossover build. Maybe I should check to see what values are there.
  7. S

Wharfedale Owners Thread

That's good to know. Thank you. I could triple stack my Wharfedales! That's not likely though, so I'll stick to just updating the stock crossover. Did you use oil caps in your crossover build? I'm wondering about the sonic improvements oil caps would bring.
  8. S

Wharfedale Owners Thread

Yes I believe you're right. The Rosedale is better than the W70D. Mine do not have tone controls. There is a hand written date on the back. 5/71. The other pair still buried in the basement is from 72 (I think). I have 2 pairs, bought from the estate of a Doctor. One owner since new. I do think...
  9. S

Wharfedale Owners Thread

Earlier this week I dug a pair of Rosedales out of storage in the basement . Hooked them up to a vintage Sansui AU 7500. Let them play quietly for a couple of days to let the caps reform. I've been listening to them all day and I'm struck dumb by what I'm hearing. Forgot they were this good. I...
  10. S

SMSL M8A DAC listed at $179.99 for 3 more days

I bought an M8a for my son as a Christmas present. Had to put it into my system just be sure it was fully operational. I was knocked out. Even with the cheesy switching power supply it sounded great. So I ordered another one for myself. It will replacing an Oppo BDP-105. Missed the massdrop on...
  11. S

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Finally put my Icepower 50asx2 board into action yesterday morning. Ghent cable and case kit. Initially I was underwhelmed. Poor dynamics with a flat soundstage and horrible tonality. But over the course of the last 14 hrs or so things improved dramatically. I'm pretty pleased and really...
  12. S

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Thank you everyone for your input and advice regarding power supplies. Formerly completely uninformed about power supplies I'm now trying to read as much as I can to understand as much as I can. It's a great learning experience. connexelectronic has the SMPS300RS module that is available with...
  13. S

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Well my interest has been piqued. An TPA3250D2EVM is on the way from TI. Also found a 50asx2 locally and bought that as well. Just searching for a power supply now and am open to suggestions. I've been looking at adjustable regulated power supplies. Has anyone had experience with these? Are...
  14. S

Wharfedale Super-12 FS/AL in corner horn cabinets.

Sure the 12 inch wharfedale drivers are really nice. But Wharfedale also made a 15 inch woofer that is really very special. Even when used in the same small cabinet as the W70, configured as a 2 way system (named Rosedale), they go very, very deep and never sound muddy or boomy. Really...
  15. S

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Still have the drivers but had to take them out of the open baffles. I live in a small house and don't have the space to set up more than 1 pair of large speakers at a time. The baffles where 2' x 4' birch ply made stable with L-shaped iron plant hangers screwed to the baffles at the bottom. The...
  16. S

Silvertone 6bq5 tubes

just guessing that these are Sears supplier codes. 312 = GTE (General Telephone & Electric Corporation (1955–1982)) 244 = Kal Equipment/Peerless Instruments i could be wrong. art edit: just found this interesting site. when completed it just might be the place to research this kind of...
  17. S

Revox B750 II integrated amplifier

Everything Revox made was absolutely first class, high quality, well made and great sounding. My own first hand experience is with 2 systems that I have had for a number of years that see use off and on, now and then, from time to time, etc.. Revox System One. B285, B225, B215. Yes the B285...
  18. S

It's hard to go to bed sometimes!

I plan my serious listening sessions as all night affairs. Every Friday night is Music Appreciation Night. Art
  19. S

Two Weeks with 604 8K's

I've seen that thread. Nicely done 604man. Art
  20. S

First upgrade for a newly purchased retro TT

Power output is not a defining factor of the quality of an amp. The HK 730 will easily drive many inexpensive vintage speakers. Adding a pair of New Large Advents, Dynaco, AR2ax or a host of others would make a very respectable starter system. I know the Klipsch crowd is big on the HK 730. An...
  21. S

Stylus Cleaner

That's the answer. Cleanliness is really the key isn't it. Art
  22. S

First upgrade for a newly purchased retro TT

If the Harman Kardon 730 is in nice shape I would grab it. It's a very nice, very good quality amp to build a good system around. Get the amp then take your time finding better speakers to match up to it. Art
  23. S

Dual idler drive vs belt drive

Idler drives are a superior table. The Miracord 750 can be nice but you will need a better tonearm and a high mass plinth. Even better find an Elac Miracord 40A for about $150 CDN. In the famous "Home Despot II" thread on Audiogon this is what Jean Nantais had to say after tweaking a lowly...
  24. S

Stylus Cleaner

+1 Art
  25. S

Thoughts On Using A Variable Cordless Drill As Motor For a Ultra Sonic Record Cleaner

My ultrasonic diy cleaner consists of a chinese ultrasonic tub across which 2 lengths of 2x4 are laid. The record is threaded onto a plastic chopstick which sits on top of the 2x4's. I spin the record by hand. One revolution per minute. For eight to ten minutes. Then vacuumed dry on a Nitty...
Back
Top Bottom