Search results

1. cgutz

Head shell for Hitachi HT60S - compatibility

I have a lot of experience with Japanese "S" arm and SME style head shells. I was recently given an Hitachi HT60S seems surprisingly nice using an OM10 cartridge. It is replacing a Kenwood that I can't seem to get control of the speed on. I am looking for additional head shells to try the...
  2. cgutz

Stereo amplifier, stereo input, only one speaker

I have seen mixed signals on an issue, but can't find specific answers to my situation. We are connecting a Alesis QS8.1 keyboard to a vintage solid state MCS Stereo Receiver. The receiver is not being used with any other inputs. However, we are using only one 8 ohm vintage MCS speaker as...
  3. cgutz

Dream college system game...what would yours have been?

This is a game for those who were young adults between 1970 and 1980. You are going to the local store to buy your first real stereo. (We used to play this in person in Fridays...go to the store, see what we could get for our money). The rules: - all equipment had to have been current market...
  4. cgutz

Making phono capacitance plugs

Forgive me if there is a thread on this, but even with google I can seem to find a schematic or photo of the proper way to connect capacitors when making a capacitance plug out of an rca male jack. Do you solder the capacitor from the center pin to ground to make the plug? My intent is to use...
  5. cgutz

Record storage at Sams Club

$10 collapsable crates at Sams Club. Works great.
  6. cgutz

Classical record collection score

I work with staff at the Natiinal Music Museum on a regular basis (http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm). When they found out I play vinyl they gave me 3 crates of classical music they were culling. So far all 5 I have played are in absolute pristine condition. Quietest records I have ever heard. I know...
  7. cgutz

reducing signal on line out

I purchased a Miccus Bluetooth transmitter to send signal from my vintage amp to bluetooth speakers in yard. The Miccus transmitter has both RCA line input and headphone input. The problem is the line out signal often overdrives the Miccus resulting in distortion. The headphone input does the...
  8. cgutz

Old people beware..

After a search, I found these two threads back to back. Do us old people have to be worried??? :smoke:
  9. cgutz

common ground speaker amp for Polk SDA CRS

I was just given a set of Polk Audio CRS speakers. There is a warning on the back only to use with amps that have common ground speakers. Can someone interpret the attached schematic for my Denon PMA920 to see if it is common ground speakers? I believe I have the proper part if the schematic...
  10. cgutz

Sony ES CDP vs Sony 'regular' CDP- comments please?

Some time ago I replaced a TEAC 5 disc changer with a Sony CDP-CE315 I got cheap on ebay. Even on my modest system the Sony was a very noticeable improvement. Less harsh and better soundstage. The Sony CDP has been acting up some and I have a comparable replacement in the wings. Typically these...
  11. cgutz

3 feet vs. 4 for resonance reduction - how?

Can someone explain the physics behind why 3 points of contact reduce resonance more than 4? I can't seem to find info on AK or the internet explaining the 'why.' Examples include 3 footed turntables and 3 legged audio racks.
  12. cgutz

When the wife's away...

My wife is gone through the weekend to a conference. Last night, went down to my mancave, put on some Shirley Horn (cd), Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck (Lp) and simply spent the night relaxing. Close to paradise as it gets. I miss her and look forward to her return, but sometimes its...
  13. cgutz

Changing tube on Bravo V1 headphone amp

Fellow Ak'er andyecon gave me a great deal on a Bravo V1 headphone amp. This is the version with the EH6922 tube. For what it is, it sounds great with my Sennheiser HD424's. He also sent in the box a 12AU7 tube, which is used in the Bravo V2. Out of curiosity, I swapped the 12AU7 in. It...
  14. cgutz

Minidisc (MD) Sonicstage software and Windows 7

With the demise of XP, I have obtained a Windows 7 computer. I still use Sony Minidisc, and my version 1.5 of Sonicstage to convert files to ATRAC on the minidisc won't run on Windows 7. Online searches reveal other's have gotten Sonicstage to run on Win7 using Administrator settings...
  15. cgutz

compare antiskate mechanisms

If this has been dealt with before on AK...I apologize. However, even using a google search I really couldn't find a discussion. I've owned 3 different approaches to antiskate: Dial with spring Thread with weight Trip lever with weight There may be other methods. Anyone interested in...
  16. cgutz

Side burns for Sony vfet amp

I've had this TA4650 since 1980 and always wanted the side panels. I was at Lowes and a vinyl veneered shelf board 12 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick was less than $5. I actually got the board at Menards as I liked their color selection better. Same price. Cut 6 inches off each end, drilled...
  17. cgutz

vintage tuners with red displays

Ok, so I am looking for cosmetics first. Any suggestions on vintage tuners with red displays? The only other criteria is that it has good sensitivity (I'm in fringe reception area) and is a slim line model. Silver or black face not important. Even if you could suggest some...
  18. cgutz

Using "Tapehead" input for other devices

I have a vintage TRW Bell tube integrated. It has a "tapehead" input for tape recorders that had direct connections to the tapehead itself. My amp already has a tuner and cd on the two existing line level inputs. Last night I hooked the headphone out of my smartphone to the tapehead input. I...
  19. cgutz

Wonder what the quality is?

Cheap analogue/LP to digital converter. I wonder how good the phono section is? The design is clever! http://store.komando.com/p-1594-analog-to-digital-audio-converter.aspx?utm_source=nl&utm_medium=kiminsider&utm_campaign=2013-09-20&utm_content=20
  20. cgutz

Info on Music Hall MMF2?

A Music Hall MMF2 is for sale nearby. I can find information on the model 2.1 and 2.2, but nothing on the 2. Anyone have any information? Quality? Original price? Things to look out for? Thanks.
  21. cgutz

tube headphone amp for 2kohm Sennheiser HD424

I recently entered the realm of tube audio when my boss gave me a vintage Bell integrated. Love it, but it doesn't have a headphone jack. I have an early set of Sennheiser HD424 headphones which I've read have the 2kohm rating (later models were 600ohm). I've looked at several inexpensive tube...
  22. cgutz

convert tapehead to RIAA mag phono on Bell

Based on the attached schematic, would changing R14 make the Tapehead input into RIAA phono? I'm thinking by different resistors on R13 and R14 such as 60k and 75k or so I could change the loading and have 3 different cart loading on the 3 inputs?
  23. cgutz

Rennovating vs. restoring vintage equipment

The university where I work invested in a renovation of a classic pipe organ. In a news article about the project, the person in charge of the project indicated this was a renovation, not a restoration. I was curious about the exact distinction, so I talked to the person quoted. Restore -...
  24. cgutz

new bottle for Discwasher

The lid cracked on my old D3 discwasher bottle. Since the original D3 brush is better than the new, I tried to glue the lid, to no avail. It leaked. My wife saw the bottle and tought it similar to her contact cleaner bottles. She had both Boston and Equate (Walmart brand). The Boston fit in...
  25. cgutz

connecting 2 amplifiers at a distance

I have two main systems in my house. The upstairs living room is powered by a Sony Vfet integrated. The downstairs system is powered by a TRW Bell tube integrated. The units are basically right above and below each other. There is also a cold air return that runs down inside the wall behind...
Back
Top Bottom