Search results

1. aabottom

Multi room audio system, XLR balanced cables

Anybody run XLR balanced cables for a single source multi-room 2 channel audio system? I’m looking for advice on a music distribution systems. If there are big advantages for using wireless, some sort of optical links, or other methods, I will consider those options. I guess I’m hard core ol’...
  2. aabottom

Happy 70th birthday LP: June 21, 1948

Has anyone realized the Long Play (LP) 12" microgroove record (what most call vinyl) is due to be 70 years old on June 21, 2018? The exact date and issue is somewhat debatable, but who cares. Let's celebrate! RCA had an earlier contender but, that seemed to fail. "According to the 1949 Columbia...
  3. aabottom

Happy 100th birthday to Jass (Jazz)

Happy 100th birthday to Jass (Jazz). "Dixie Jass Band One-Step" and "Livery Stable Blues" are jazz compositions recorded by the Original Dixieland Jass Band on February 26, 1917 and became widely acknowledged as the first jazz recording commercially released. [1] [1]...
  4. aabottom

Wire strippers- looking for a good tool

I'm looking for a new and better way of stripping the insulation off of electrical wires. After decades of using the cheapo wire strippers (Vaco No. 1963) plier-type wire cutter/ crimp dies/ bolt cutter/ wire strippers, I'm tired of mucking up my wire stripping tasks. The Micro Electronics...
  5. aabottom

HELP! My tape deck is screaming.

I pulled my tape deck (JVC TD-W709 [1]) off the self to play some compact cassette tapes my friend have given me. I bought it new in the '90s. It's a double well deck with dual DOLBY B, C, HX-PRO circuits and records in both decks. When I play a tape, sometimes it screams like a banshee...
  6. aabottom

Cassette head demagnetizer: light not working

Years ago, I bought a Hitachi AD-091 cassette head demagnetizer, one of those electronics-in-a compact cassette tape box that demagnetizes tape heads in a cassette deck. Recent resurgence of cassette use has made me pull it out and use it again. Alas, the Power Indicator light no longer come on...
  7. aabottom

John Prine @ Strathmore, Bethesda, MD 2014-06-13

Totally excited, John Prine in the best sounding concert hall of all times. I scored two tickets in ROW FF. John Prine @ Strathmore June 13, 2014 at 8:00pm North Bethesda, Maryland https://www.facebook.com/events/273450786112953/ Anybody else going?
  8. aabottom

Steely Dan 2013 Tour in USA

Steely Dan 2013 Tour in USA Any Steely Dan fans here? They're on tour in USA. :banana: I'm going Sept 20, 2013 in Bristow, VA at Jiffy Lube Amphitheatre. Anybody else going, if so what date and where? See other tour dates here: http://www.steelydan.com/#dates
  9. aabottom

1979 John Prine ~ Pink Cadillac – “Down by the Side of the Road”

I’ve been listening to this song for 33 years. Today, it came up in rotation in the 4Runner cassette deck. I just read the lyrics for the first time. I’ve decided the song is pure B.S. Any thoughts? 1979 John Prine ~ Pink Cadillac – “Down by the Side of the Road” Her Father was a...
  10. aabottom

Steve Miller Band concert VS cassette

Last night, I went to the Steve Miller Band concert at Wolf Trap, VA, my first encounter with his live performances. The show was great. There was no cover band; he played for 1:50:00 without intermission. After a brief exit off stage, they came back and played another 20 minutes. The sound...
  11. aabottom

Wow, Blood, Sweat & Tears

At GW, I picked up nearly pristine copies of 1968 Blood, Sweat & Tears ~ Blood, Sweat & Tears 1970 Blood, Sweat & Tears ~ Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 and all I can say is wow, this is great stuff. Blood, Sweat & Tears is one of the bands I missed in the 20th century. This was an impulse...
  12. aabottom

Why do "vintage" rabbit ears come with 300 ohm twin lead cable?

For fun, I've been collecting rabbit ears at the thrifts. I find them now and then for 1 to 5 bucks. My collection is now up to a grand total of three. One is a more modern one from RadioShack (Model No. 15-1828) and has a female F-connector on the box to attach standard 75 ohm CATV cables...
  13. aabottom

1.1K posts

My 1.1K post. I missed my 1K post, so I'll celebrate here. :banana::banana::banana:
  14. aabottom

Fleetwood Mac ~ Blues Jam In Chicago Vols. 1 & 2 ...

... on Spotify [1] . Been listening to this on Spotify. Early Fleetwood Mac [2] play with their some of their Chicago blues mentors [3] [4]. It's mostly very good blues with some of the classic blues performers. Some of the tracks are poor quality, but are still historically interesting...
  15. aabottom

On Spotify: 100 greatest guitarists

There's been some banter on this before, but here's a good way to listen to some great guitarist. The list online at Rolling Stone Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarist of all time Here's the Spotify Playlist http://open.spotify.com/user/rsedit/playlist/448wUaELWsusdJAQbNBKW7 Other...
  16. aabottom

In DC: Goodman’s Axiom 350 Speakers

These look interesting, but they're too rice for my blood. I hope a local AKer picks them up. No affiliation. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/2835714127.html =================================== GOODMAN'S AXIOM 350 DUAL CONCENTRIC 12 INCH STEREO SPEAKERS - $1800 (Bethesda, MD)...
  17. aabottom

Why do I like Queen? Do you?

Queen is definitely a band I should hate, but I truely enjoy their music. Freddie Mercury was a musical genius. Their songs are orginal, fresh, and very well performed. I don't have any of their LPs, but I have several CDs. I'll be on the look out in the thrift LP bins. A few of my favs...
  18. aabottom

Spotify Playlist

Post your Spotify Playlists here. Please list some info about your Playlist so we can decide whether to use it. 1. Genre: 2. Time duration: 3. Source of insipriation: 4. Playlist name: 5 Spotify HTTP Link: 6. Spotify URI: 7. System setup...
  19. aabottom

Best Recorded Classic Rock Cassette (commercially pre-recorded)?

Hi everyone, I thought I’d start a similar thread for commercially pre-recorded cassettes (see Best Recorded Classic Rock Vinyl?) What do you think are the best recorded cassettes in this genre? No fair including your home recorded cassettes. I don't mean the best music necessarily, but...
  20. aabottom

Simplified Audio Speaker Hookup

Assumptions 1. Speaker wire resistance is less than 5 % of nominal speaker impedance. 2. Even though your hooking up 8 ohm speakers, the speaker cables might eventually be used for 4 ohm speakers. 3. 16 AWG speaker wire is cheap and plentiful enough, that there’s little reason to use a...
  21. aabottom

Headphone amp- Singlepower Audio Extreme with Sennheiser HD650

Score! A friend of mine brought over his headphone tube amp for me to try. He’s letting me use it for a few weeks in exchange for working on his bicycle, how sweet is that? It’s the Extreme model made by Singlepower Audio Inc (apparently defunct). The L&R output tubes have makings: on...
  22. aabottom

Cassette score at the Thrift

I made a big score at the Thrift last week. I walked into my local thrift and found one home recorded tape and one of the Napa Valley Box Co. wooden 100 cassette holders (and 50 cassette holder too). The 100 was kinda beat up, but repairable. I took them to counter, and offered $4 & $2 for...
  23. aabottom

Which Advents?

The woofer doesn't look like anything in the Identifying Your Advent Loudspeakers thread. Otherwise, they look interesting. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/2312418661.html
  24. aabottom

800 posts, big deal, whoopy!

Can't hold a candle to some of you AKers.
  25. aabottom

Need help hooking up a mic: Realistic HIGHBALL 2, 33-985A

Well, I'm microphone stupid. At the thrift, I bought a Realistic HIGHBALL 2, 33-985A mic. It has a cord but no connector on the end. There is black wire, white wire, and the braided shield. I want to put a 1/8" or 1/4" phone jack on it. I need help installing it. I can't get it to...
Back
Top Bottom