Search results

1. tmccullough

KEF 104/2 plus some other stuff

There's a CL ad locally for some KEF 104/2 that caught my eye. From the pics, the cabinets seem in decent shape - a few bits of missing veneer, but nothing I'd lose sleep over personally. I currently have some JBL 100t fed through either my Marantz 2275 or a Yamaha A-S801, depending upon my...
  2. tmccullough

Any AT VM740 owners out here?

I finally had some time to listen to some records earlier, and discovered that the stylus on my AT VM740ML is bent. Super annoyed because it's only got maybe 100 - 150hrs on it. And of course my son, the only other person who knows how to use the turntable, has no idea how that happened, and it...
  3. tmccullough

Marantz 6XXX turntable parts

Hey folks - In general, are many of the standard parts the same across this turntable series? I need to fix one up for my son, so I am looking specifically for feet (which I may just buy third party feet) and a tone arm counterweight. If there are parts from other models that would fit, I’d be...
  4. tmccullough

What speakers can I realistically power?

So like most lazy Saturdays/Sundays I did a quick browse of Craigslist just to see what's around. I found a fetching pair of B&W DM1400 speakers for four bennies. Google search the model number and they are generally considered a rather good speaker. As with many other speakers I've "researched"...
  5. tmccullough

Pro-Ject Tube Box S2

Been thinking that after upgrading my cartridge to an AT VM740ML, my Schiit Mani may be the next upgrade. I’m intrigued by the Pro-Ject Tube Box. It’s got flexibility to run MM and MC (as does the Mani), but it looks much cooler! Plus it has glow-ee tubes! I would use it to feed my Marantz...
  6. tmccullough

Vibrapod cones as feet

I picked up a set of four Vibrapods to use as feet on a Marantz 6350Q for my son. I should have paid more attention, as I did not realize there is no way to screw these to the table. Does anyone have experience using these as feet, and a recommended way to attach them to the table? I was...
  7. tmccullough

Marantz 6350Q Turntable Service Manual

Hi all. I want to get started rehabbing this deck for my son. I cannot seem to recall my Vinyl Engine password, and I’ve attempted numerous times to reset the password but never receive the email. I’ve tried both possible email addresses with no luck. Is anyone aware of issues currently with...
  8. tmccullough

Tonearm mass/compliance

Over the weekend I was reading reviews and comments regarding two carts I'm considering - the AT VM540ML or the VM740ML. Essentially they are the same cart, with the primary difference being the VM740 has an aluminum body. This also adds mass to the cartridge, coming in at 8.0g (versus 6.4g for...
  9. tmccullough

Upgrade stylus or cart?

Well, as most of us do, I’ve been slowly upgrading parts of the system. Presently I have an AT95 cart with the Shibata stylus (I think) on it mated to my Technics SL-1100A. Enjoyable, for sure, but you always wonder what you might be missing. I have been thinking about putting a new ATVM540ML on...
  10. tmccullough

Sony CDP-C601ES issues

I picked up a “tested” five disc changer from eBay for not a lot of money. It definitely powers up, but that is about all. Here are my observations. I’m looking for some guidance. 1. Carousel opens then quickly closes and reopens and closes. Sometimes it stops, sometimes it actually closes, and...
  11. tmccullough

Sony CDP-C601ES repair

I haven’t dug too far into this, but I received this old Sony today after picking it up on auction site. Is anyone aware of a service manual for this unit or similar? i only spent about ten minutes with it so far, but the eject function seems wonky - tray will open, but will not close unless you...
  12. tmccullough

CDP question - am I overthinking?

Most of my more recent audio purchases have been focused on my vinyl listening set up. Like many children of the 90s, I have a ton of CDs that I did not or will not pick up on vinyl. None of them are SACD/DVD-A/BluRay Audio, with the exception of the Tom Petty Live Anthology, and I can listen to...
  13. tmccullough

turntable ground question

After all these years I still have a dumb question. My Technics SL-1100 has two thumbscrews for grounding/earth. For whatever reason I have a devil of a time getting a tight connection but it's usually good enough. I have an amp and a phono pre I'd like to ground it to. Can I run two wires...
  14. tmccullough

will we be in a buyer's market?

In light of the current situation, I was thinking, "Are we going to enter a buyer's market soon?" My brother and his fiancee are looking for a house and striking out. As the shutdown drags on for a few weeks I suspect the seller's market will end, and become a home buyers market. Since some...
  15. tmccullough

proper line into amp

Before I blow up a receiver, I want to ask and make sure I do this right. I experimented this weekend running my TT into my Schiit Mani pre, then into the Schiit Vali hybrid headphone amp, then into the amp in on my Marantz 2275. I liked what was coming out of the JBL L100Ts. I didn't miss...
  16. tmccullough

Silent AU-5900

A couple years back my son accidentally had is phone volume turned way up and plugged it into the amp. It got very loud, then very quiet. I confirmed the speakers were fine. Neither channel from the amp produces sound from any source, nor does any sound come from the headphone jack. As I...
  17. tmccullough

Pioneer SX-434

Likely buying one of these low power Pioneers for about $50. I figure it's probably ok to throw in the kids room. Am I going to regret this? I don't think so but now I need to find some small efficient bookshelf speakers I guess.
  18. tmccullough

JBL L100t refoam

Hey AK I have a pair of L100t and I noticed the surround on one of the woofers has essentially deteriorated completely. After looking at some threads and videos I think this is something I could tackle but question whether I really want to. I saw some pricing on fee for service that seemed to...
  19. tmccullough

2275 left channel trouble

Quick question for the group. I have a 2275 I had refurbed by a gentleman recommended to me by another member. It sounded great after it was done. Fast forward a year, and the left channel drops out. I can bring it back if I crank up the volume and slide the balance to the left. It will...
  20. tmccullough

New to me Sansui 2000X

My wife told me a family friend had something for me. I was suprised when I got home yesterday to see what appears to be a fine looking Sansui 2000X chilling in the living room. It’s dirty, and the case has a few scratches in it, but overall it’s a looker. I had a 2000A as my first vintage...
  21. tmccullough

MCS 6601 turntable

Hey all. My brother is thinking about getting a TT. I don't have one I can give him so I was surfing local CL. There's an MCS6601 available that seems like it could be a match. He's hesitant to jump in major, and he would need everything (phono pre, amp, speakers/headphone). Is the MCS a value...
  22. tmccullough

NAD 317 dead?

Hi folks, a friend of mine has an NAD 317 that he was told is dead. Power supply is dead, and apparently that and the PCB are no longer available. Is this accurate, and is it time for him to move on? Or, is there hope?
  23. tmccullough

Pioneer SX1080 purchase

I travel quite a bit for work and across an SX-1080 for sale. Looks to be in decent shape - few dings in the faceplate and such. Auction prices are not realistic, I'm sure. What is the opinion on a reasonable, non-insulting offer? A couple hundred?
  24. tmccullough

Dead 2275?

Greetings all! I've had this 2275 sitting in my garage for maybe nine years now. I bought it when I was under the illusion that I was going to restore it, despite having the most rudimentary of tools and soldering skills. Lack of time and other priorities never let that happen. I've hit my...
  25. tmccullough

Technics SL-1100 cartridge

I have recently had more time and resources to devote to my turntable. I've added a phono pre (Schiit Mani), the Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp, and a set of Send HD6XX headphones. This has been nice since the majority of time I find myself listening through headphones. When I'm not, everything...
Back
Top Bottom