Search results

1. Rach3maninoff

My Office System

I’ve been working from home for the last 3.5 years since Covid - it’s the only way that I can enjoy music in the workplace. It used to be my son’s bedroom - now my office / spare bedroom.
  2. Rach3maninoff

My Office System

Working from home has its advantages. Nothing big and extravagant here - a Yamaha A-S501 integrated powering a restored pair of Dynaco A-25’s that have been in my family for 49 years. Source components are a Technics SL-Q303 turntable with Shure M97XE w/VividLine stylus, plus a Yammie CDC-675 CD...
  3. Rach3maninoff

Today's JAZZ playlist

When a loved one passes away, it is only natural to hang on to everything that you hold dear about that person, in an effort to keep his/her spirit alive. In the case of my dad, one of my primary coping mechanisms has naturally been music. He instilled in me a love for classical and jazz at a...
  4. Rach3maninoff

Today's JAZZ playlist

It’s been quite a while since my last posting. My jazz collection still continues to grow. Over the past year, I’ve really gotten on quite the Basie kick. This little gem with Ray Brown and Louie Bellson is a recent find from an antiques mall that had a whole slew of Basie albums in near mint...
  5. Rach3maninoff

Today's JAZZ playlist

As big of a jazz piano fan as I claim to be, I have to admit that I have not listened to a whole lot of Bill Evans’ music. I received this one today - it is definitely a game changer!
  6. Rach3maninoff

What Started out Life as a Pilot Console...

My very first post on AK over 10 years ago found me seeking out a Pilot Console with an SA-232 power amp and SP-210 pre. The years of patience have paid off, as I found a 1078 console on FB Marketplace this past spring with the 232 amp and an FA-590 tuner/pre for $75.00. First order of business...
  7. Rach3maninoff

Has anyone had good luck with JJ power tubes?

The tech who rebuilt my Pilot SA-232 three months ago specializes in tube equipment, both home audio and guitar. He put a set of JJ EL-84's in my amp. I'm happy with them, although I may try others out of curiosity.
  8. Rach3maninoff

Pilot Stereo Consoles

True on the Garrard - I noticed immediately when I saw the ad that Zero 92 was not the original changer. The original was a Garrard RC88/4. My great uncle had a Pilot 1075 console which I enjoyed a lot. He retrofitted his with a Dual 1015 in the late 60’s. As for the internal speakers, they...
  9. Rach3maninoff

Pilot Stereo Consoles

Four months later, and I have had the SA-232 recapped and retubed. I ran with a passive pre, until I had the FA-590 recently recapped. The FA-590 / SA-232 combo with my AR-XA is sounding pretty sweet in standalone mode through a pair of Electro Voice Marquis cabinets with TR12XB coaxes. The jury...
  10. Rach3maninoff

Today's classical playlist

My favorite Mahler 8th!
  11. Rach3maninoff

Adding More High End to Vintage Electro Voice Speakers.

Thanks for the tips on this - Greatly appreciated!
  12. Rach3maninoff

Adding More High End to Vintage Electro Voice Speakers.

I recently purchased a pair of vintage Electro Voice Marquis cabinets with first generation TR12XB coaxials mounted in them. Although they sound pretty good, I do feel that the high end is lacking, especially since they are rated only to 15 Khz. I am interested in adding a pair of Fostex FT17H...
  13. Rach3maninoff

Electro Voice Marquis Cabinets with 12TRXB Coaxials

I have thought about doing that as well - tools are no problem. What I am trying to figure out is how to remove those front baffle boards. If there is a magical way of doing so without tearing up the cabinets, I'm all ears!
  14. Rach3maninoff

Electro-Voice Marquis - What do I have?

Bob - I like the idea of the Fostex tweeters. I can certainly understand the need for them to boost the treble response of the SP-12's. I, however, am wanting to do the same with a pair of first gen TR12XB's, which have a little higher frequency response that the SP12's, but still are rated up...
  15. Rach3maninoff

a I'm open to options and suggestions - don't necessarily have to go OEM, especially if it means saving a little money.
  16. Rach3maninoff

I recently purchased these EV Marquis cabs each mounted with EV TR12XB coaxes - they are the earlier 16 ohm version with the steel stamped baskets, and sound great with my recently restored Pilot 232 power amp. They also clean up very nicely with some Danish oil as well... I feel, however...
  17. Rach3maninoff

Pilot Stereo Consoles

Here is the C-1078 that I picked up last night for $75.00. Even with dimensions of 31” x 38” x 18”, and the fact that it fit like a glove in the back of my daughter’s Jeep Liberty, doesn’t change that fact that it was a heavy sucker to load. I took the seller’s word that everything works...
  18. Rach3maninoff

Pilot Stereo Consoles

Nice score - smokin’ deal! I paid $75.00 for mine without the external speaker cabs and still feel like I made out nicely!
  19. Rach3maninoff

Pilot Stereo Consoles

A little more than 10 years after this post, I have found a C-1078 console w/SA-232 power amp, 590 tuner/pre, and retrofitted with a Garrard Zero 100 TT instead of the Garrard RC-88/4. I plan to pull the plug on it tomorrow, and hope to pick it up in the near future. First order of business will...
  20. Rach3maninoff

University Sound TMS-2 $20.00 score!

Here is something of a rarity that I picked up last night - a University Sound TMS-2 Trimensional speaker system. This late 50’s / early 60’s unit features a 12” rear firing dual voice coil woofer, and 8” side-firing coaxials. I’m amazed at the sound, even with the somewhat unorthodox setup in...
  21. Rach3maninoff

1964 Console with Sansui SA-X100 Receiver.

As though I really need another audio project - time and $ - this one had posted quite a while ago on Facebook Marketplace. The only picture posted was the one of the cabinet and speakers. The only description that was given was that it was real wood and made in Japan. I contacted the owner via...
  22. Rach3maninoff

My Updated 2 Channel system

I am primarily a Jazz and Classical type of guy, so this amp really fits the bill!
  23. Rach3maninoff

My Updated 2 Channel system

It has been a long time since I posted on AK regarding any changes to my system, so here goes: My 31-year old Onkyo A-8057 is in need of some work, probably some recapping and a good thorough cleaning, and while I have not completely put it out to pasture - I decided it was time to try...
  24. Rach3maninoff

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

Yesterday, I officially retired my 31 year old Onkyo A-3057 with a new, yes new, Yamaha A-S501 as the heart of my 2-channel system, and am absolutely loving it. The sound is pure Yamaha - unpretentious, neutral and clean, living up to the Natural Sound trademark. Here are a few pics:
  25. Rach3maninoff

Today's classical playlist

Sergei Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #3 in D minor Byron Janis - Piano London Symphony Orchestra - Antal Dorati Mercury SR90283
Back
Top Bottom