Search results

1. drew_t

Scott 233 not all 12AX7 tubes light up evenly?

Scott typically ran the preamp tube heaters at lower voltage than the nominal value, so they’re not going to light up like light bulbs. Even in a darkened room, you may have to look very closely to see any orange glow.
  2. drew_t

Scott 299A - What to do?

1. Newer production tubes might not react as well to being undervolted as the ones from 60 years ago. 2. My impression (might be wrong) is that NTE doesn’t make anything themselves; they just buy parts from wherever and distribute them under their own name. Given how prevalent counterfeit and...
  3. drew_t

Trying to refresh a hh Scott 299A

Yup. The few original ones left may simply have been values that the guy didn’t have in stock or couldn’t easily lay his hands on.
  4. drew_t

Just picked up an HH Scott Type 272 Amp-Preamp

I can’t imagine a guy getting it done in one day, even if he worked like a maniac.
  5. drew_t

HH Scott 299c Wiring & Schematic

There are two versions in the database: http://akdatabase.com/AKview/thumbnails.php?album=89&page=2 It‘s pretty original looking. Most likely, this is how the factory built it, and the owners used it until either it broke or they got something else and it sat in some corner until they died and...
  6. drew_t

What to do with the Rat Rod MK-III's?

I think they’re cool as is. Someone is out there who will appreciate their rat rod looks.
  7. drew_t

Gibson GA20T Ranger

This one’s also very clean, and built with a terminal strip instead of an eyelet board:
  8. drew_t

Gibson GA20T Ranger

“Do you want to buy this incredibly mint Gibson tweed era amp as well as the Les Paul?” “Uh . . . nah.” Who does this?!?!
  9. drew_t

Help with HH Scott LK-150- cooking 1.5k resistor

Only the 4 x 75 uF/75V can is common positive.
  10. drew_t

Suggestions on an H.H. Scott LK-150 re-cap

If you look at the circuit diagram and work out how they used the various cap can sections to implement it, I think you could very well duplicate it under the hood with modern individual electrolytics, leaving the original cans in place for looks. But certainly the Hayseed cans are the easy...
  11. drew_t

Just picked up an HH Scott Type 272 Amp-Preamp

Great find. I’ve been listening to mine for a few hours, as it happens. (Nearly time to put it away for the summer.) It took me years to work up the courage to get started working on it, but in the end, it’s like the joke about how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. There are some...
  12. drew_t

Scott 222D Issue

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/VS-KBPC810PBF This one is probably overkill (or even more overkill than the RadioShack one was) but it’s similar in size and format to the RS one.
  13. drew_t

Scott LK150 Power Transformer Rewind

What is the core made of?
  14. drew_t

what did I fry?

Where are you located? Is it blowing fuses at all? Have you checked to make sure it has the correct fuse?
  15. drew_t

HH Scott LK-72 Restoration

Why are you so anxious to start tearing into it? Not every old tube amp purchase has to turn into a frame-off restoration. It’s a nice piece that someone has already done a lot of work on. If it sounds good and it isn’t humming, buzzing, blowing fuses, red-plating power tubes, etc., why not just...
  16. drew_t

Scott LK-150 rebuild/modification thread

For the caps, take a look at what RWood recommends here: Scott LK-150 restoration thread
  17. drew_t

HH Scott 299c - Rectifer & bias pot questions

Is there really any good reason to stick with the HH Scott scheme of under-volting the preamp heaters, if the amp’s bias/heater circuit is going to be tweaked and modified anyway? Particularly if current-production tubes are going to be used - I seem to recall someone reporting that distortion...
  18. drew_t

Scott 299-A2 Cap on Bias Circuit for V1,2,6,7?

Dave, our 272s have one of these, too, don’t they? The electrolytic that goes between the two rear-most cap cans? (It was a big, orange paper-covered one on mine.)
  19. drew_t

HH Scott LK72B, a dirty dog!

Put the CL-80 in one of the AC legs right past the cord’s entry point into the chassis, wherever you can fit it in and have some air space around it - it gets hot. Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but replacing the cap that goes across the AC lines (C206) with a modern X1/Y2 safety...
  20. drew_t

Ampex 2010 Can Caps

A JJ 40/20/20/20 500V would be quite a bit cheaper than the CE one linked in the top post. You would have to mount it with a clamp.
  21. drew_t

Scott LK-150 restoration thread

The cap can sections are usually labeled with symbols, e.g., a triangle, a square, a crescent or half moon, and one left blank. The symbols can be seen on the underside of the cans, next to the terminals. (May need a magnifying glass and a good light source to get them in focus.) The labels on...
  22. drew_t

Preamp recap help

If they’re real . . .
  23. drew_t

Tubed audio and the heat

84 in a dry climate area isn’t that bad, especially if you have a room fan going to move the air around. One zone in my house is cooled by an older, probably under-spec’d, central air unit; if we have a couple days of insanely high temps (110-115), low to mid 80s is about as cool as it can keep...
  24. drew_t

Pilot AA-904 KT66 amp power supply transformer rewinding ?

As an alternative to turning your place into an EPA Superfund site, maybe call Heyboer and see if they can make you a replacement PT?
  25. drew_t

Hammond organ pwr supply? What would this support?

https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=12458.0;nowap See post #8 http://www.captain-foldback.com/ The Hammond schematics section has a link to “H-100 series schematics”. Page 6 of 15 shows the power supply schematic at the lower right corner.
Back
Top Bottom