Search results

1. boxoboom

New to me some ESS towers that have been modified heavily

Ok I have been listening to these for about 1 week and a half ... my first impression is that they have the largest sound stage that I have heard produced by my system ... when pushed ... they can be a bit shrill as most big ESS tweeters can be ... but pushed with normal or below normal sound...
  2. boxoboom

Well My question would be ... am I actually hearing what I am hearing ... or is some one putting instruments & voices all around my sound stage that is oh I don't know 10' wide ... or am I just hearing things ? I am very impressed with the detail that these ESS tweeters and cabinets can bring to...
  3. boxoboom

Well I got em done... and they do sound good ... probably need a little break in ... tho not much.. replaced the one of the woofers with a passive radiator .... still need to work on the inside of the cabinet ..to block holes that the original owner drilled to pass wires but even with those...
  4. boxoboom

Gordon , You maybe right ... I have taken them apart to the point of almost ready to take out the crossover ... Have not got that done yet but possibly tomorrow. The cabinet is or was sealed but it is not an infinite baffle ... there is a port , I do not know if it is a quarter wave or not ...
  5. boxoboom

Been pretty Busy for a retired guy, But got pictures of the outside of the Crossover ... still have not listen to them ... but may tomorrow ... here are the outside pictures of the crossovers...
  6. boxoboom

Well I was gifted some ESS Towers that have been heavily modified ... I guess the person who owned them was a big ESS fan and lived down near Raleigh NC ... I happen to have a friend down there also ... and a few months back he texted me pictures of these speakers and told me that he was...
  7. boxoboom

ESS Fans

I am getting these speakers at the end of next month... I have heard a similar pair ... I am thinking these are Rock Monitors or some variation of them .. these are from a person who was a big ESS fan and Unfortunately he has passed away .... My friend saw the listing and responded to it ...
  8. boxoboom

what are your feelings about chinese 5AR4 tubes

and on the other hand ... has anybody used a solid state replacement rectifier in stead of the tube for this Dynaco st70.... I know they are available for a lot less money than the tube ...but I have also read that because of the higher voltage that it will supply... it may blow the selenium...
  9. boxoboom

Yes it happened from a cold dead start.... once the caps were formed I saw no reason to use the variable power supply even tho it was still plugged in it ... was still set at 117volts... just turned it ...the power supply on... and the sparks happened inside the tube....sort of like when I first...
  10. boxoboom

Hi guys and girls... I am repairing a Dynaco ST70 amp ... new mulitcan caps, caps etc... after doing this work ... used my variable ac power supply ... brought it up to about 60volts and it would blow a fuse....checked wiring caps etc... everything was fine... pulled the 5AR4 tube out and found...
  11. boxoboom

I also have a transformer if you do need one..I figure that watching this guy build this would...

I also have a transformer if you do need one..I figure that watching this guy build this would give you an idea of what it a built one looks like..
  12. boxoboom

Hi Jcatsweeney...I probably do have a transformer..as I have three of them..1 in pristine...

Hi Jcatsweeney...I probably do have a transformer..as I have three of them..1 in pristine working condition...there is a 5 part so far on you tube by a guy with the name of flux condenser...he is in the process of building an unbuilt kit...it is fairly new as in the last month or so...
  13. boxoboom

Dac Issues

Well that is the answer I was looking for Bobby.... here is the one that I should be getting tomorrow 91NHRLC373L._AC_SL1500_ by boxoboom posted Jul 19, 2020 at 1:49 PM now I will only be using one of the inputs as this is a redundancy with my tv... it has more hdmi inputs... I only have...
  14. 91NHRLC373L._AC_SL1500_

91NHRLC373L._AC_SL1500_

15. boxoboom

Dac Issues

Ok I am running a fairly complicated systems... in my house.... for one my main video feed is in my living room... as I use comcast for cable and internet... my head end is in my living room.... from there it is spread to three places....1 my studio 2 to my outdoor patio .... in my studio I...
  16. boxoboom

Any Schiit Modius Users?

Thanks .... been a busy day trying out this dac... streaming mostly from Amazon... thru my computer of which I use here in my living listening room... which is were my main system is... I have many systems... I would like to get a tube amp in here for the mains.... but my denon is doing just...
  17. boxoboom

Any Schiit Modius Users?

Well I just joined the Modius rank... got it today and Immediately my modi3 was taken out of service at this time and the modius was put into service ... needless to say... I like it.... needs to break in first ... from first impressions... it is very open and a little tube like (rounded) to my...
  18. boxoboom

FX Audio DAC-x6 distortion

imral3 my system is very confusing even to me and I am the one who designed it and built it...!! ;) well let me explain it to you hopefully you will get it... it all starts in my living room ... where the head end for the video is ... it goes through two 4 place hdmi splitters one for cable...
  19. boxoboom

that is the best answer that I have seen..... in looking for the specs for this tv .... it is a spectre ... it is not a smart tv ....hence it was inexpensive when I Bought it... it worked fine hooked up to the hdmi ... I have cable and computer threw both of the HDMI inputs...and the dac in the...
  20. boxoboom

Just got to test it with the usb... it is distortion free so it is now a fact of attenuating the optical connection.....
  21. boxoboom

As I am new to dac's ... My first one was a Schiit modi which I really do love ...however as my systems (more than one)..... I have two main audio systems my main system is in the living room and then I have a big system in my studio which is also fed from my living room system... so I thought I...
  22. boxoboom

Schiit Modi 3

I will let you know once I get it.... I notice that you are in Vermilion..... I was stationed in Sandusky, Cedar Point to be exact back in 1973... with the USCG... do I do know your weather not that much difference than Kalamazoo.....:)
  23. boxoboom

Schiit Modi 3

I have lowered my standards for reaching nirvana...it is much more attainable that way......:smoke:
  24. boxoboom

Schiit Modi 3

As I am now retired ... it does amaze me how much I miss working.... I totally forgot about break in... they have shipped it so I am thinking I will have it by the end of the week or beginning of next week...I am actually excited getting this...... how long did yours take to break in...... I am...
  25. boxoboom

Schiit Modi 3

Hi Guys...been a long time since I have posted on here in a while....so now I am getting into hi-res audio.... I sort of like streaming audio... now I have 3k vinyl albums and god knows how many cd's.... lets just say I am a collector like no other..... so I decided to switch from Spotify to...
Back
Top Bottom