Search results

1. S

Why drivers die

Leads to the cone looked great but no continuity. Pulled the dust cap and the leads were covered with black lacquer or epoxy down to the center. Tried gently scraping but I believe that did more harm. I've never done any speaker work beyond this point and really don't think it's worth the effort...
  2. S

R-2000

Lol, definitely in my case! Couldn't get sound without a jumper.
  3. S

R-2000

Ok cool. The R1000 has to have a jumper.
  4. S

R-2000

So if it has a switch to select pre or main, should it also have pre outs and main outs? And should those be jumpered if not using an external amp? Not trying to be sarcastic, because I have an R1000 and they seem to be similar.
  5. S

R-2000

I'm going to say what is probably obvious but sometimes it's the obvious that gets overlooked...are the pre-main jumpers installed?
  6. S

Why drivers die

Suspected crossover cap from the beginning but pulled one woofer and connected directly to source.....notta. Have low volume from at least one tweeter and seems to respond to the attenuator. Cones and surrounds are good. Will check the voice coils when I get home in a couple days. Haven't...
  7. S

Why drivers die

Yeah, they weren't great but worked for my shop use. Stored about 8 months. And no, wasn't climate controlled but never experienced two drivers just dying like that.
  8. S

Why drivers die

Is it common for drivers to die while in storage? Infinity SM's. My guess is they were on death row when put away. Guess I should have jumped on the Reference 1's for $25 at last week's flea market. :oops:
  9. S

ESS AMT worth rebuild?

Found one sitting on the side of the road. Surround is gone. Cabinet looks like it was left out in the rain for a week, then dropped out the back of a truck. Heil is intact as well as crossover. There was only one, so do I make a new cabinet or part it out?
  10. S

What to do with my popping HK730?

This part of your statement seems to point towards a capacitor. I would follow wmgwizard's advice.
  11. S

Harman Kardon 730....worth fixing?

Picked up a 730 today as well. No jumper on the pre's either. Slapped a cable on and got weak, scratchy sound. Will have to open up and scrub it good. But hey $35 ain't bad.
  12. S

Sony PS-T15 Trouble

Picked up this unit a while back. When plugged in, it spins for a couple of seconds then shuts down. Any thoughts on what to check? Would also appreciate advice on removing the PC board....can't figure out how to separate it from the drive.
  13. S

Gotta start somewhere

Thanks for the tip. Good thing about the cheap end of the spectrum...I can play/experiment with'em. I have sooooo much to learn. Plan to tweak the JBL's once I learn more about crossovers and matching drivers. ETA: MeatInStereo, you are so right ! The vast knowledge pool here keeps...
  14. S

Gotta start somewhere

Well, found out the JBL cabinets are salvageable...except the footing/stand, which I can make easily. Not too impressed with sound. Highs are very lacking. Spec sheet shows crossover at 1100 and 3400 hz. Any tips ? (Other than throwing them in the dumpster, please) Will start refoaming the...
  15. S

Gotta start somewhere

Hello to all and thank you for getting me hooked on this cr_p ! :wave: Ok...Ok...I know what some of you are going to say. But I had to start somewhere. Just came home with a pair of Infinity Sm-100's and JBL J350A's. The SM-100's will need refoaming and one woofer has a line across the...
Back
Top Bottom