Search results

1. gfinlayson

List Yours - Most Favorite DIY Projects

Ian, full details with schematics are here:http://www.neilmcbride.co.uk/jknamps.html Graeme
  2. gfinlayson

Best cordless tools for the DIYer/Handyman

Nearly all of my power tools are DeWalt - had some of them for eight or nine years, and still going strong, despite heavy use/abuse. Granted my 18V cordless 997 drill's batteries don't last long now, but after seven years of regular heavy use, I can't complain.
  3. gfinlayson

DIY "Pro-Audio" Interconnects

RickB, As you should be well aware, there's more to engineering a good recording than power conditioning, mains cables, and high-end signal cables. I've heard some awful recordings made on top-of-the-line studio gear. I don't think the likes of Canare, Belden and Van Damme would be best...
  4. gfinlayson

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

I too, bought this after reading about it here. Astounding. I didn't know recordings made forty-odd years ago could sound so good.
  5. gfinlayson

In desperate need of room treatment advice

Grumpy, have a look at this site: http://www.hp-h.com/p/hapicmpur/homespunStudio.htm I'm going to use some of these ideas in my listening room. I have in mind to make up some broadband absorbers, cover them in a fabric which coordinates with the room, and stencil some designs on them...
  6. gfinlayson

DIY "Pro-Audio" Interconnects

Phidauex, Thanks for the 'teach-in'. I've just made up some interconnects using Van Damme starquad with Neutrik phono plugs (easier to get here in the UK than Canare). There's noticeably less noise than I had using my unscreened DNM cables - not surprising given the number of mains cables and...
  7. gfinlayson

What TT's do you folks have

Jorge, Are those prices in $US? Ouch! $229 works out at 128GBP, with shipping and tax it'll be more like 200GBP. They're listed at around £90 in the UK, but no one seems to have any at the moment. I'll have a look round some of the European e-tailers to see if I can find one at a more...
  8. gfinlayson

What TT's do you folks have

My old Ariston Q-Deck has seen a few changes lately. I've added 45 mm of MDF to the bottom of the plinth, put some tasty veneer on it, and built a matching box to hold my custom built regulated PSU. I've also ditched the dust cover, and fitted a new drive belt: Still needs a decent...
  9. gfinlayson

Why do women hate Cornwalls?

Must have been one hell of a sub - they still sell used for upwards of $400.
  10. gfinlayson

Why do women hate Cornwalls?

If she's concerned about the looks then it's worth giving serious consideration to veneering or refinishing them in some way. Mrs. Finlayson wasn't too keen on my latest build at first, but once she saw the veneer on them, her attitude changed completely: Now they have prime spot in...
  11. gfinlayson

DIY Speaker Builders- what's in your pipeline?

These are my latest creations: Scanspeak 18W8531G00 6 1/2" sliced paper Revelator mid bass with D2905/930000 tweeter finished in quilted bubinga veneer. I've since changed the plinths - I opted to try bottom porting on this design. With these plinths there was too much room gain in the...
  12. gfinlayson

ground loop?

Bill, Your setup is considerably less complicated than mine, so if it's ground loop, it should be fairly straight forward to check out. A very quiet 60 Hz hum is not unusual on equipment. If it's ground loop, when you wind the volume up with no signal applied, you'll hear it plenty. Check...
  13. gfinlayson

ground loop?

Bill, If your amps and preamps require earth connections, then effectively by using 3 to 2 pin plugs you are removing the earth connection to the equipment chassis. This earth is provided as an electrical safety feature, and is mandatory. The fact that it's plugged into an earthed line...
  14. gfinlayson

Inrush limiting relay? Workable?

Mark, Any chance of posting the schematic? Thanks, Graeme
  15. gfinlayson

Hot Iron Veneering Trick

I used the hot iron and glue method to veneer my latest project. Bill Martinelli gave me some very good advice which I put to good use.
  16. gfinlayson

Transistor Substitution Help

Lead solder is disappearing rapidly as well. Unfortunately the lead free stuff that's replacing it isn't anywhere near as good to work with.
  17. gfinlayson

New speaker project

I've put all of the photos together and the measurement graphs here. All in, It has taken me about 10 weeks of weekends and evenings from putting together the CAD drawings to having a finished pair of speakers. As far as numbers of hours goes, I couldn't even begin to work it out. The end...
  18. gfinlayson

New speaker project

Filmboydoug, The finishing oil I used is this stuff. It's a blend of oils including tung oil. It dries in about 4 hours, so you can apply a lot of coats in a few days. The first couple of coats are best applied by brush as the wood initially soaks it up very fast. I applied the rest of the...
  19. gfinlayson

New speaker project

Billfort, Ardbeg is a very good whisky. It is typical of an Islay Malt, although more subtle than the likes of Laphroig. It is quite peaty, with that slightly phenolic aromatic nose typical of most Islay malts. If you like this style of malt, (which isn't to everyone's taste) then I'd...
  20. gfinlayson

New speaker project

And finally....... After 8 coats of finishing oil, two coats of creamed bees wax, and copious amounts of elbow grease, they're finally finished: Time to sit back and enjoy with an old friend: Graeme
  21. gfinlayson

New speaker project

2 coats of finishing oil so far. I'm really beginning to fall in love with this wood......
  22. gfinlayson

New speaker project

Mark, Thanks for the compliment. The glue method worked superbly. I started things off over a week ago by spraying all the sheets with a 10% solution of glycerine in distilled water and sandwiching them between sheets of kraft paper. I then placed the lot between two boards which were...
  23. gfinlayson

New speaker project

Thanks Charlie. I've now got all the veneer on, and wet sanded the cabinets down to 600 grit with white spirit. I'll probably start with the finishing oil tomorrow. This is a photo of the cabinets after sanding the first one with white spirit. It gives a good idea of how the grain will...
  24. gfinlayson

New speaker project

Veneering underway... 3rd side panel veneered, and 4th coated with glue ready to veneer. All four side panels are now completed; fronts, backs and tops will be done tomorrow.
  25. gfinlayson

New speaker project

Thanks Mark, although I think the port tuning may have been more good luck than good judgement! Troels Gravesen did a fairly detailed study on vent tuning comparing the differences between flared and flanged ports and actual length versus theoretical calculated length for a given frequency...
Back
Top Bottom