Search results

1. DrMux

Heresy II's worth rebuilding crossover?

I was just given a pair of these from the original owner that look great. Consecutive serial numbers. But they sound pretty bad. They don't sound like they're damaged, just lacking in sound. Would the Crites upgrades or cap replacement make that mush of a difference? I really don't want to...
  2. DrMux

Audio cap suggestions for Magnavox 175 amp

I put some Edcore's on this amp with 6L6 tubes and it has a bit too much bass and not enough high end. What values are recommended for this mod, or just to get a bit more high end out of it? I think I still have the stock values. Best way I can describe the sound is boxy. Other than that...
  3. DrMux

Marantz 120 Tuner Bulbs

Does anyone have a source for the 7 indicator bulbs for this tuner? M008-M014
  4. DrMux

Bi-Amp Question with 2 Tube Amps

I have a new tube preamp that is very basic with only one line out. When I connect the two tube amps using an audio RCA splitter I get some hum and weird noises. I didn't have this problem using my previous preamp that had hi and low outs. They also are quiet and sound great individually. Do...
  5. DrMux

Those Maggie prices on Ebay are..........

I remember buying 8000, 9000, series and 175 amps for $100-150. Now I see them for $200-700. Almost makes me want to list my 6L6 converted 175.
  6. DrMux

Brik Phono Stage

I just bought one of these new off Amazon. It's sounds horrible. Has anybody else tried one? Thinking I might have got a lemon. Nothing but bass and no volume compared to my other sources. Maybe 50%. Sending it back for a refund. Even my 70's Marantz receiver has a better phono stage than...
  7. DrMux

How about a tube amp troubleshooting sticky

Great info above. How about one on basic troubleshooting? Topics such as different types of noise and most possible cause. Snap, pop, buzz, squeel, motor boating, hiss, etc. That's what I see most people asking about online when it comes to tube amps. Just a thought.
  8. DrMux

Klipsch RF-82's Bi amp problem

I have these bi amped o some Old Magnavox tube amps I rebuilt. At first all seemed to work fine. Now sometimes the woofers shut down. If I disconnect them then reconnect they come back on. These speakers are designed for bi amplification so I'm at a loss as the why they are doing this. I...
  9. DrMux

Maggy 175-67 Magnavox Lots a BASS

I just powered this up with the mods and new .047 Kimber caps. Added a JJ Tesla Multicap can 40, 20, 20 mfd and a seperate 10mfd. The bass is a bit overpowering to me, almost cardboard box like if there is such a thing. Could this be the values if the Kimbers or is this brand cap just...
  10. DrMux

Supertramp Paris

I didn't even know this LP existed until I snatched it up. Supertramp live in Paris 2 LP A&M 1980. I like it much better than the studio version. Anybody else heard this? The studio version has long been one of my favorite albums. I can't take this one off the TT.:thmbsp:
  11. DrMux

1000mmf = 1000pf ?

Trying to match up an old circuit and don't remember, but I think this is true. Or .001uf? What's the current common term for this value? Want to be up to date when I go to Radio Shack.
  12. DrMux

Grado SR 325i Worth it?

I'm looking to get into some cans with a big bang. Skip the budget cans and go for the gusto so to speak. If I'm going to get some I want them to be great. My budget is $500. Is there really that much of a difference between these and say some Grado 60's or 80's. If so what would those...
  13. DrMux

Your thoughts on AKG K 240 MK II

Anybody who has heard these please let me know what you think of them and other phones you have tried under $200 compare.
  14. DrMux

2238B No Stereo. Light is good.

I'm finally going to mess with this receiver. It's been boxed up for months. Any help with this would be much appreciated. I cleaned the fins, and all controls with Dioxit, still no stereo. I tested the light and it works outside the circuit. Everything else appears to work and sound fine...
  15. DrMux

Maggie Question

I have an EL84 model Maggie amp and a 6V6 model Maggie amp. Is there any preference as to which to use Bi Amped to woofers and tweeters?
  16. DrMux

Maggie Pics - Need help with Worble

Maggie 8803 Console Mod - Pics - Need help with Worble I had posted some on another thread but figured I might get better response to start my own. Pics too. When I received this it seemed to be working OK. Wasn’t sure though because of the small test speakers I was using. I did the power...
  17. DrMux

Mullard, or not Mullard?

I ordered up some RCA tubes for an S5 Electronics tube kit I built and instead received "IEC Electron Tube International Mullard LCL85 10GV8"Melville, NY I do know they sound much better than the original no name tubes from Japan that came with it. Don't see much about the 10GV8 Triode-Pentode...
  18. DrMux

Stylus Gauge = Digital Scale?

Why not just use a small digital scale for this? I see sites selling small digital scales called stylus gauges for $35-500. Some look almost identical to our small food portion scale. :scratch2:
  19. DrMux

Nagaoka MP110 just arrived.

So far it sounds incredible. Crisp and clear with a wide sound stage. Really opens up the room. Almost like having a new system compared to the Stanton 500 and AT that I was using. I've ordered some tools to set this up optimally so hopefully it will only get better from here now that...
  20. DrMux

JVC QL-A7 Advice Please

Looking for advice on a cartridge and stylus for this model. MM or MC. Will be used on a tube amp through Cambridge Audio 640P. I think I'll end up going with this one since the Rotel RP-1100Q didn't turn out to be quite what I was expecting and the Pioneer PL-55X still isn't working...
  21. DrMux

ROTEL RP-1100Q has arrived

I'm still trying to get the anti skate setup so the cart doesn't slide but all in all I'm really digging this TT. The condition is outstanding minus the speed selector switch being snapped off in shipping but I'm sure I can fix that. Can't wait to get it going 100% so I can try out some...
  22. DrMux

What is a dual cartridge?

I'm looking at some of the newer Thorens TT's and see some have dual cartridges. Do they mean Dual as in the company, or are there two cartridges? My drill sergeant told me back in 1980 that the only stupid question is the question never asked. :yes:
  23. DrMux

Pioneer TT trashed.....Ebay

My Pioneer P-55x arrived yesterday. The seller simply wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it in the box. Several pieces missing. Still trying to see if I can get it back together and working. Some people are clueless or just don't care after they get your hard earned $.:thumbsdn:
  24. DrMux

Picked up a Rotel RP-1000Q

Thought it out over a few hours then an old audiophile friend of mine said if I didn't get it he would. Looks almost new in original box with manuals. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200452197014&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
  25. DrMux

PIONEER PL-55X Cartridge Advice

I picked up this TT on Ebay. The auction said no needle so I made the seller and offer and he excepted. I ordered and Ortofon 4550-DEL stylus (D5E is the old model#). Then I notice before he excepted he changed the terms to "without cartridge". So now I have to find a cartridge. Not having...
Back
Top Bottom