Search results

1. darklife

Recorded AT3600L and Shure M91ED in audacity and synched

Okay talking to myself now but I did just notice a difference after a few plays. The 3600L sounds like the mids near the 600-1kHz is scooped out a bit giving it more of that EQed sound. Can really notice it after a few plays between that 46 second gap. The M91ED sounds a little more full? Not...
  2. darklife

I can't post the 4 track audacity version without zipping it but here is a 2 track stereo back to back version. I'd be curious if anyone can spot any differences besides surface noise. Sorry I'd love to upload the side by side comparison using 4 track but no practical way right now :( Edit...
  3. darklife

Just for curiosities sake I recorded my TT an old modded Garrard GT35 setup for single record use instead of changer, and a Numark 1520. Recorded both cartridges direct from phono level to preamp into computer. Sadly built in audio on the computer leaves a lot to be desired audio wise but it's...
  4. darklife

So cheap TT and bad with picking up thumps, what mods?

Quick update: After adjusting the anti-skate and even before I did I noticed the right track is slightly more prone to picking up surface noise. I tried everything from 2 grams to 4 grams on the counterweight, 3 seemed like a good compromise but even then I was noticing it. So I decided to go...
  5. darklife

If anyone is curious I made a video on the guts and an anti-skate modification to the Numark TT-1520... Yeah I got some terminology wrong and confused a few things like where the power switch (was the country voltage switch) incorrect when pointing out but I think I did an overall good...
  6. darklife

DIY Strobe Light

Oh I forgot to say those little neon lamps work good too if you or someone you know is comfortable with line voltage. Think they strike around 90 volts AC and use around 100kOhm dropping resistance if I recall for the standard 120v wall outlet. I don't remember if they flash at 60hz or 120hz...
  7. darklife

DIY Strobe Light

Nice! Going to print and make one myself. Guessing it's 60Hz since the company is in the US so that works great for me. I have plenty of LEDs. Guessing a simple low mA wall wort transformer around 5-15 volts AC output would work fine with most LEDs in series with a 1-10kOhm resistor. Just check...
  8. darklife

Great idea! I want to try something similar or might just go your route but I'll have to open up mine to see how much space there actually is to do it. I was thinking some sand in a few large ziploc bags laid out flat for a less permanent solution but the more I think of it I don't think that's...
  9. darklife

Correct. I did add a tag for it but guessing people didn't see which is okay as I am sure I would be laughed out of the room for trying to do any sort of DIY mods to it given its cheapness :D but I like to toy around so figured why not kill some time trying some ideas on it. The question was in...
  10. darklife

Oh BTW almost forgot to mention... I tried a rubber mat I had from an old setup and it's a lot better at dampening the room by leaps and bounds compared to the felt mat it came with. Considering trying a combo of both, but the rubber mat prevails and was a definite noticeable change when...
  11. darklife

I know what the thing sits on matters a lot but I am mostly curious what modifications can be done to a turntable to reduce the body itself from picking up noise like walking around? The plinth on my TT has enough space inside to mess with. Thoughts on sand bags or heavy weighting substances...
  12. darklife

Are the Numark DDs really that terrible for audiophile?

Yup. Just seeing what all can be done to it to get the most out of it, be that enjoyment and sound quality. The thought that I could use it for music shows to present cool record finds to share with others is just a bonus as it's not a paid gig, just hobbyist stuff.
  13. darklife

Never said I did it on a pro level. It's more of a webcast plus small audience pirate local show so not at all worried about advertisers or the like and haven't ran the show in a while anyway, just nice to know this table will be more fitting for that use over a high end belt drive one because...
  14. darklife

Definitly will keep my eyes out for something better but this was free so no complaints and my Garrard was on the last leg. I do run a local radio show so a DJ deck isn't the worst option anyway for my fun.
  15. darklife

Quick update: I went back to the ATN3600L cartridge and the audio cleaned right up with inner tracks on the record I was listening to that had the issue last night with the M91ED. Going to keep tracking force set to 2.5 grams for now as stated by oldman54 above since the tonearm does indeed seem...
  16. darklife

That may be the case sadly, however I had the same M91ED on my Garrard GT-35 which was made for a lighter tracking cart and it did the same thing. Now I'm starting to doubt myself and wonder if it may simply be one or two of the records I listened to. I'll have to pay closer attention next time...
  17. darklife

Oh my mistake. I must mean zenith adjustment(?) where you loosen the cartridge screws slightly and set the angle using those printed alignment papers like here.. https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml
  18. darklife

Will upgrade when I can. One thing I noticed is my M91 sounds like the inner tracks sound cripsy or even slightly distorted with high frequencies. I noticed this too on my last TT. Wondering if that is a common thing with the Shure cartridges? I even went as far as using an alignment printed...
  19. darklife

My last post fell of deaf ears it seems over my recent acquisition of a TT-1520. Initial opinion was it looked like they cheaped out on some things like the plastic parts. The AT cartridge it came with was for DJing so I know it wasn't meant for audiophile use. What I've done so far is replace...
  20. darklife

Numark TT1520 opinions and improvment ideas?

Just "upgraded" my Garrard GT35 that I modified eons ago from a record changer to a record player and that thing finally gave me the last straw with the platter speed breathing even after relubricating and changing belts only to find the plastic spindle inner platter that the main metal platter...
  21. darklife

Kenwood oscilloscopes?

Yeah exactly lol. I think the second and third or first and third channel is possibly Well the good news is that is what I would probably use it for. I'm an RF guy, but I am spoiled by my DSO with all the onscreen measurement text like frequency and duty cycle and so on. I plan on using one for...
  22. darklife

Kenwood oscilloscopes?

Oh I made a video of one working just showing left/right audio if anyone is curious..
  23. darklife

Kenwood oscilloscopes?

DSCN1488s by darklife posted Jun 27, 2022 at 11:41 AM I just got a pair of Kenwood CS-5375 from 1997 scopes for free that originally came from a tech university and it seems information on these is quite rare and even stranger they have three input channels instead of dual or quad. What's up...
  24. DSCN1496

DSCN1496

25. DSCN1497

DSCN1497

Back
Top Bottom