Search results

1. seanrr

Looking for tube audio tech in DC area...

No audio techs in the area?
  2. seanrr

Looking for tube audio tech in DC area...

I need to repair a beautiful 300b amp that I have because I mistakenly put in the rectifier tube the wrong way. It blew my fuse - so the damage is likely not extensive, but now it only plays in one speaker. I suspect that there is something that must be replaced (i.e. resistor/capacitator...
  3. seanrr

B&W Matrix 805 - Best Amp and TT pairings?

You thinking solid state or tubes? I used to give them lots of solid state watts in home theatre, but I also listened to them through a Fisher with about 30 WPC tube power, and they sounded sweet with that as well.
  4. seanrr

A TUBE HUNTING ADVENTURE ENDED UP WITH A CALL TO THE CIA

I have also found that Soviet 311A tubes were re-labeled by US and European manufacturers - I have some with Sylvania brand names, Mullard, Amperex, United Electronics, etc. They all re-label as 311b. I also have the original Soviet ones, and they are identical. How did tube manufacturers get...
  5. seanrr

Who made 311b tubes other than Western Electric?

I also just got an NOS Sylvania 311b, and it is also exactly like the Russian ones.
  6. seanrr

Shunguang Treasure vs. Gold Lion 300b

It is my understanding, having tried to read up on the Sophias, that they have tubes produced by the Chinese factory in Tinjian (sp?), which makes TJ Full Music tubes. That said, I have also heard that Sophia is picky about which ones it chooses, and the TJ tubes are the ones that Sophia...
  7. seanrr

Yeah - after your positive words, I am thinking of calling them. I had heard negative things about the reliability of their tubes, but hopefully that has been fixed.
  8. seanrr

That might be a fun shoot-out. Let's discuss offline. They are pretty much in the same price range these days, and I was weighing getting one or the other. That said, I might also try the Sophias, which I think are getting a bit more affordable.
  9. seanrr

Thanks - this is helpful. I do have hum balance pots, but the hum on the Shunguang Treasure tubes does not really go down that much when I adjust my hum. I like the JJs too, but maybe it is worth picking up the Gold Lions to try since I have seen very good reviews.
  10. seanrr

I have a 300b tube amp and have been using the Shunguang black bottle tubes. I love their sound, but I have noticed that they have a hum when I am not playing music. I thought this was more due to. my amp, but when trying JJ tubes, the amp has very little hum. It may be the pair of tubes I...
  11. seanrr

Paul - that is interesting. So, I have now have accumulated the following tubes marked 311b (including with their vintage boxes): Mullard (marked Made in England), STC (marked Made in Great Britain), Tung Sol (marked Made in the USA), Heintz and Kaufman (marked Made in W. Germany), Relco...
  12. seanrr

So, I have been on a bit of a 311b tube buying spree lately, and it seems like these tubes come in a lot of forms, but the web only has info about the WE tubes. I have a pair that are marked Mullard "Made in England," but I am not convinced of origin. I also have some Soviet versions, which...
  13. seanrr

845 bias question

I tried them again this morning, and they seemed to not have the same issue. I am assuming the digital readout of 800 refers to 80 Ma, but if there are other ASL 1006-845 owners out there with the same version, perhaps they can verify. I will keep a close watch on them. Thanks for all the input.
  14. seanrr

845 bias question

Thanks! That is very helpful.
  15. seanrr

845 bias question

I have a pair of Antique Sound Labs 1006-845 DT mono block amps. They have been heavily modified by a former owner, and they sound fantastic. I have been using the 845 tubes that came with it, but I have been thinking to upgrade my tubes for awhile. Rather than dish out $800 for the ones I...
  16. seanrr

Dali 7A speakers

Looking at the pictures on the web, it seems that the ones to which I am listening may have had their woofers replaced. Now they have ribbed grayish cones with a black dust cap and foam surrounds. Other ones I have seen on the web seem to have black woofers without the ribs. Sound pretty...
  17. seanrr

Dali 7A speakers

I am traveling and presently at an Air BnB in Turkey that has a nice little vintage stereo system - Yamaha receiver and Dali 7A speakers. Has anybody else heard these speakers? I think they sound lovely. Generally, I am a Tannoy dual concentric person through and through at home, but it is...
  18. seanrr

12sn7 VS 12sx7

That would suggest that a 12SN7 should have even an easier time working in a circuit set up for the 12SX7, right?
  19. seanrr

12sn7 VS 12sx7

Hmmm...would that be a direct replacement if an adaptor is used? The 12sx7 sounds pretty sweet, and I haven't tried the 12ns7. I have used the 12au7 in lots of other amps and preamps.
  20. seanrr

12sn7 VS 12sx7

I realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask the tube gurus a clarifying question: Is the 12SN7 a direct replacement for the 12SX7? I know the reverse is true. I ask because I have 845 mono blocks that use a total of 6 12SX7 tubes. I have been slowly stockpiling extras, but I...
  21. seanrr

Audio Nirvana speakers

I don't have this amp, but I recently bought a different Chinese 845 amp (ASL 1006-845 DT) that had been extensively modified, and it sounds great. There are some threads at different sites I have seen on modifying the Music Angel you have - google it. While I do not have the skills to do such...
  22. seanrr

Best bang for the buck current production 845 tubes?

Thanks! That may be the soundest advice. Do you know if the Shunguang WE845 tubes are also 100W dissipation?
  23. seanrr

Comment by 'seanrr' in media '1625728-antique-sound-labs-1006845-dt-custom-mono-bloc-amplifiers-with-upgrades'

Did you also go to the 12SX7 as a driver? Or just the rest of the work was similar? I am really enjoying the results!
  24. seanrr

Loving my new 845 mono blocks!

I just got some new mono blocks that are making my Tannoy gold 15" speakers sing to new levels. They are Antique Sound Labs 1006-845 DT amps, but they have had a lot work done on them for the better. Somebody changed the schematic some to change the driver tubes from 6SN7 to 12SX7, and they...
  25. seanrr

Best bang for the buck current production 845 tubes?

How about the Shunguang or Psvane WE845 tubes? Nobody?
Back
Top Bottom