Search results

1. Theophilus Punoval

Minimus 7 Crossover Upgrade

Again, I've lost my instructions about the Minimus 7 crossover upgrade. Can anyone help me out here? I have another pair to give away and want to upgrade with foil capacitors and new coils. I'm also looking for advice on a compatible or matching standalone subwoofer.
  2. Theophilus Punoval

Subwoofer For Minimus 7

I seem to recall there was a subwoofer that was specifically for the Minimus 7, Was this true? If not, is there one that pairs well with them?
  3. Theophilus Punoval

Fuse Lamps For Realistic STA 52 Display

I'm using a Realistic STA 52 matched to some modified Minimus 7w speakers as a computer hookup. I'm going to have voltages set to spec and caps changed as soon as the tech is able (he's almost as ill as I right now). The crossovers are modified with foil resistors and a better coil and the...
  4. Theophilus Punoval

Minimus 11

I have an aide I am going to give a system to - or for you grammar mavens, to who I am going to give a system - including a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 11 speakers. The room is about 10 x 12. She likes blues-rock (Stevie Ray Vaughn), Allman Brothers, Janis Joplin and country like Billy Ray...
  5. Theophilus Punoval

Has Anyone Heard Of These?

I'm back after a long illness and was going through my audio stuff. I'll be asking more questions in the future. I came across a couple of pairs of speakers that look like house brands. One pair, Criterion 50 A, looks like cheap come-on speakers, the kind every teenager had back in Apollo...
  6. Theophilus Punoval

HiFi Engine - Here We Go Again

The owner provides a great free service and is to be thanked. However, he also seems to be crazy as a s#1thouse rat. You can guess what happened. Computer blowout, unable to log on, couldn't recover password blah blah blah so, like an idiot who didn't realize the "rules" I tried to register...
  7. Theophilus Punoval

Lineaum Tweeters...Why?

Radio Shack bought into them during the Optimus and RCA eras but, as far as I know (and it ain't much!) no other companies did. This could a matter of Lineaum collapsing financially, getting signed to an exclusive contract that hamstrung their business or a mediocre, overpriced product or two...
  8. Theophilus Punoval

Honus Wagner??

I was having a discussion about women and I hit on the perfect way to compare them. My idea is that it's best to describe a woman's "skills" is by comparing them to baseball players. I mentioned one woman was Mickey Mantle and he said his girlfriend was like Honus Wagner. I said that was...
  9. Theophilus Punoval

Radio Shack LAB 440 Info Please

Was this a decent TT or a dog? Thanks.
  10. Theophilus Punoval

Realistic System

I just put together my Realistic system. It's an STA 120 receiver, Optimus 1 speakers, LAB 440 turntable a CD 2300 CD player and a 31-1989 7 band equalizer. All have been serviced; the speakers are re-foamed with metal film capacitors and the others serviced as needed to operate properly. I'm...
  11. Theophilus Punoval

Dylan

I have a friend that loves Dylan and played Dylan CDs on a 3 hour trip. I'm sorry, but it drove me nuts. I'm not putting anyone down. I just can't figure out what makes this guy great. He seems to be coasting on his pre-1968 reputation. Sure, he's had good, and a few great, songs since, but...
  12. Theophilus Punoval

What's Going On With The Radio Shack Catalog Archive

Hey, all I get is an ad page. Does anyone else have this problem?
  13. Theophilus Punoval

JanZen and Realistic Electrostatic Speakers.

I have both of these speakers that I haven't hooked up yet. Both of these speakers are in traditional cabinets. I've only seen them as panels and was wondering if any of you have heard these box style electrostats or ones like them. Are they keepers or junk?
  14. Theophilus Punoval

Realistic STA 860 Questions

A friend is giving my an STA 860 and I was wondering if anyone knows about them, like are they any good and that sort of thing. I'm probably going to give it to my nephew when he starts at Cornell. They don't allow it in the dorm but when he gets his own pad - oh-oh, uncle is a hippie! - I'm...
  15. Theophilus Punoval

Carver M 1.5t Power Amp Question

A guy down the street asked me for help - God help the poor SOB - with a question about a Carver M 1.5t power amp. It's missing the fuse on the back panel and I can't find it in the service manual from HiFi Engine. Does anyone know what the value of this fuse is?
  16. Theophilus Punoval

How Are These For Specs?

These are from a 1970s analog tuning receiver and I was wondering if they were any good. The unit was entry-level, so please keep that in mind when telling what you think. I'm not going to name the manufacturer or model so there won't be any likes or dislikes involved. Sensitivity (IHF) FM ...
  17. Theophilus Punoval

What Ever Happened To Mini Disc?

I have several mini disc players in use, mostly because I'm a bird brain who got fished in by the hype. The bulk of the collection came from other people shedding decks cheaply. What I don't understand is why the format faded away. MDs were as convenient as CDs, re-recordable like tape but...
  18. Theophilus Punoval

Akai Receivers

Did Akai generally make well-built receivers? I understand any company can put out a range of products of varying capabilities and quality, but were Akai units able to compete with outfits like Pioneer etc in terms of construction? I ask after coming across an AA A25, the base receiver of the...
  19. Theophilus Punoval

Rotel?

I picked up a Rotel RX 150 and I was curious about it. It's a fairly small and relatively low-power unit from 1972. I want to send it to an old pal to put on her desk in her small home office, along with Minimus 7 speakers and a CD player.. I understand this receiver is entry-level but when...
  20. Theophilus Punoval

Output to Sonus Speakers

A friend has Sonus WiFi speakers and he wants to use his old turntable and CD player with them. I'm wondering if he could input his TT and CD player to his amp and use a device to output to the Sonus or somehow to wifi. Could it be done with a computer as well? I know it's possible to input...
  21. Theophilus Punoval

Banana Plug Question

I only have one working hand and have issues with connecting speakers. All of my speakers are old (and cheap too) so most have the spring type input. Can I use banana plugs for these hookups?
  22. Theophilus Punoval

Are Terk Antenna(e)s Any Good

Leaving aside aesthetics, are things like Terk antenna(e)s any good or are they not much of an improvement over dipoles? I was thinking about getting either a used Terk+ passive antenna or a tower one that plugs in. I'm sure location makes a difference but I have a hard time pulling in a...
  23. Theophilus Punoval

Chuck Berry's Sophisticated Lyrics

It's said his piano player, Johnnie Johnson, contributed so much to the music that he should have gotten co-writer credit. But lyrically, Berry wrote on a level with the greats. This is from "The Jaguar And The Thunderbird", a song about a street race in rural Indiana: Duganville was a real...
  24. Theophilus Punoval

Not Trolling But I Just Don't Like Rod Stewart

This is just my opinion and nothing against the Stewart personally, you understand. I'm not trolling people who do like him either. But I just never liked the guy, not even when he was with Jeff Beck. He's worked that "gravel voice + bellowing = soul" gag to death, and for longer than Melissa...
  25. Theophilus Punoval

Blu-Ray And Region 2 DVDs

This is a question about Blu-Ray players and Region 2 DVDs. I found a copy of Milos Forman's 1967 movie "Fireman's Ball", made in Czechoslovakia during the Dubcek reforms of the Prague Spring. If you ever have an opportunity to see it don't pass up the chance. I saw it when it was first...
Back
Top Bottom