Search results

1. Z

Power Supply of Technics turntables

Thanks for this. It is the Canadian version, so no selectable voltage switch on it. But that's good news, as I love the 'table and would much rather take it with me than sell it and buy something new locally.
  2. Z

Power Supply of Technics turntables

Hi all, I used to live in Canada and own an SL-MA1 which I haven't used in some time. I live abroad and will be moving to the Netherlands where I was hoping to resurrect my vinyl system and bring my 'table with me. Initially I assumed that it would have a universal power supply and then I...
  3. Z

Recommendations for a modern pre-amp/receiver

You're probably right, Silentnet. I'll probably end up doing that. I haven't picked a set of speakers yet, but 100 wpc would certainly be sufficient.
  4. Z

Not just any receiver though - I had a look at Denon's and Sony's most expensive receivers which are already well out of my price range and of course all of them have speaker outputs but I'm yet to find one which also has digital output (S/PDIF, coaxial, USB, anything). I'm going to keep...
  5. Z

Hi all, I'm ideally looking for a single quality unit that will accept phono inputs from a turntable and output 1) a high quality digital signal for input into a computer but also 2) output to a regular, non-powered pair of speakers. This may be an unusual request but having one unit that can...
  6. Z

Importance of phono stage impedance

Thanks for the responses. The manufacturer specs for the cart say "recommended resistance" is 47kOhms and "recommended capacitance" is 200-500pF. On the capacitance side, I estimate with all components included I'm probably around 300-375pF. I suppose then on the resistance side I'm alright?
  7. Z

Importance of phono stage impedance

Hi all, Regarding phono stages, I've heard that input capacitance and impedance are both important parameters that have a significant impact on the sound one can achieve. Most phono stages have impedances of 47kOhms but I have heard that the "ideal" impedance is ~2.5x that of your cartridge...
  8. Z

Time for a new set of cans - recommendations?

Hey all, I'm a vinyl guy and I keep high-quality rips of my collection on my phone for portable listening which I thoroughly enjoy on a good set of 'phones. I've had a pair of Bose AE2i which I've enjoyed over the past few years and I'm ready to move up. I'm looking for something...
  9. Z

The One That Got Away - turntables you just couldn't get!

Its been a while since I've been on AK but I thought I'd check what you guys lost out on over the years. TTs that for some reason you just didn't/couldn't get. For me, my first foray into vinyl resulted in me going to check out, but stupidly, not buy a Realistic LAB-8500. It was in mint...
  10. Z

DVD-Audio releases

I was wondering if anyone here knew whether Daft Punk's Random Access Memories was released on DVD-Audio? If anyone knows, please do let me know! And preferably also where I can buy it. Thanks!
  11. Z

Bought brand new 4-LP set, is it any good?

I recently bought a 4-disc set of Led Zeppelin, "Mothership". Is there any way to tell how good the pressing is? Or whether it's been remastered from a CD?
  12. Z

Building Realistic system: TT suggestions?

If you can find a LAB-8500, get one. It was the first turntable I ever went to see, and not knowing enough then, I said I'd come back the next day to buy it and it was gone. Always regretted not buying, especially for $150. From what I heard on a quality set up, it sounded just sublime.
  13. Z

Technics MA1 turntable

Wow, I just bought one for $80 and I thought I scored...boy you really got a hell of a deal!! Mine has a tiny chip on the front left corner and its more semi-auto than auto. Something isn't quite right with it. Sonically, I haven't replaced the cables or anything but even after cleaning the...
  14. Z

For those of you with turntables and digital rigs...

Great replies. I too, as mentioned, love both media for their own reasons. Personally, what I noticed was that vinyl sounds wider than CD to me, sounds a bit more real. In digital, the sound is much cleaner, blacker, and vocals seem to be more boosted in comparison to vinyl. It was the...
  15. Z

Interesting. Well I ask that people please try and address the my questions rather than take shots at each others' preferences. I do love digital because of its incredible convenience, although I do love playing records when I can as well. I was just from an unbiased point of view, trying to...
  16. Z

I don't have the funds to purchase a great set of speakers for hi-fi listening at this point in time. I listen to music on my Bose headphones, which I find to be of quite good quality, for the time being at least. I have to ask those of you who have compared CD quality audio to vinyl. When...
  17. Z

Keeping dust off a new record

I opened a new copy of Abbey Road and was enjoying the first side when I turned it over to find the second side sort of dusty from the mat, and clicky and poppy before I listened to it for the first time. I made an effort to clean off the mat before playing that record too. There's got to be a...
  18. Z

How smooth is your bearing?

Hmm, my MA1 took round about 35 seconds...and that's after I lubed it recently...
  19. Z

Platter quality

Hmm just a humble chemical engineer here. Mind explaining what an electrolytic capacitor is? :)
  20. Z

My first P-mount TT...

Thanks. I played Turnstiles earlier by Billy Joel and Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits is spinning as I type this. Very happy with the purchase, the sound is just drool-worthy.
  21. Z

My first P-mount TT...

I had a listen and it was just phenomenal. Superb, detailed sound which was exceptionally clear in the highs and lows. Very balanced.
  22. Z

My first P-mount TT...

Got the digitrac 300se in the mail today! I'm really excited, I just mounted it onto the MA1. Here are the pics. I'll give it a listen later today after some studying.
  23. Z

Platter quality

Thanks for the info and explanation! Also, the MA1 that I picked up was dusty and stuff, (but functional) and just from using the strobe wheel that I printed off VinylEngine, the speed seems to be quite accurate. The dotted platter with the light is the one thing I miss on this table. What are...
  24. Z

Platter quality

So I just got rid of my SL-1401 after picking up an SL-MA1. One thing I noticed was the platter difference. The 1401 has a heavier, thicker platter while the MA1 has a lighter, thinner one. Yet, the MA1 sold for a much higher price back in the day and has slightly lower rumble and half the...
  25. Z

Where do old TT's go when they die?

I'm a college kid though I wouldn't classify myself as a hipster. Giving it away if you really don't want it is definitely a good idea. There'll be tons of kids wanting to grab it from you. However, ideally, you should use it, if of course, you don't mind listening to vinyl.
Back
Top Bottom