Search results

1. Uncle Paul

Time for a new AK logo - let's see what you come up with

How about a headphone wearing Buddha? Literally audio and karma together
  2. Uncle Paul

Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence. Scared yet?

I’m not afraid of AI. Every time I use ChatGPT I just tell it the same old man stories over and over again and complain about body aches. Eventually it will erase itself to get away. If you’ve experienced an outage or strangely garbled responses or disjointed swearing it was probably me...
  3. Uncle Paul

Classic High-End Gear

What an awesome thread! I'll add that anything VFET is high end. What makes a VFET special is that they have the linearity of a tube with the low noise, low distortion, and stability of solid state. Basically most of the advantages and few of the drawbacks of each type, though many do enjoy...
  4. Uncle Paul

AK 21st Anniversary Raffle

June 12, 2005
  5. Uncle Paul

Are vintage watts the same as modern watts

All I know is that ever since I became vintage I say "Watt?" a lot a lot more than I used to.
  6. Uncle Paul

Are audiophiles elitists?

I think each of us defines how we get our enjoyment of of this hobby in different ways. For some it's collecting and listening to as much music as possible and playback quality is of lesser importance, with others it;s the reverse. I like having nice things but realize the importance of...
  7. Uncle Paul

Balanced Preamp/DAC for little money?

With XLR the Schiit Modius E is likely going to be the most inexpensive @~$270 The Topping E50 Mini HiFi DAC ES9068AS is about 70 bux cheaper, but you would need an adapter cable to XLR. Maybe look for a used Schiit?
  8. Uncle Paul

What amp should I use on my HPM-100's

I'd vote for the Pioneer SA-9900 as a classic match. But then again this18 year old thread is technically old to do it's own voting.
  9. Uncle Paul

JBL 250TI or L300s?

Late to the party, and hope you got them. A buddy of mine has them, and IMO they are outstanding. They do everything well and have a very high WAF for a large speaker. You will not be disappointed and they gain value every year.
  10. Uncle Paul

What's your username mean?

Youngest kid (prolly an oopsie) in a BIG family - I was an uncle at 11 months, so I've pretty much always been Uncle Paul.
  11. Uncle Paul

Welcome to the world of James B. Lansing

Big time JBL fan here DIY'd L300's in the 1970's DIY'd 4430's in the 2000's Currently an XPL fan \ Great to see this addition to the AK forums!
  12. Uncle Paul

Current AK frustrations

Until the AK search feature is fixed you can use the "site" keyword in any standard Internet search engine (like google) as a workaround. Just type in your search criteria followed by site:audiokarma.org, It's also a great way to search for 3 characters or less when that it too short. I don't...
  13. Uncle Paul

Is driving to another state for heavy speakers or amps ever worth it?

More than one way to look at it. Economically in most cases it's cheaper to ship if you include lost work time. I personally like road trips, especially if it takes me somewhere new or if I haven't been there in a long time. It's also a great way to meet new people, especially if you bought...
  14. Uncle Paul

Happy Birthday Uncle Paul!

WOW! Thanks, guys! Been away for a stretch and it's great to be back.
  15. Uncle Paul

Bi amp with Carver AV-405?

Certainly no offense intended or taken by your post. Most amplifiers have a single voltage rail and as such you would be correct in your observation of the 50W limitation. The AV-405, however, has two different voltage rails, V1+ and V1- for the two 100W and single 110W amps and V2+ and V2-for...
  16. Uncle Paul

Bi amp with Carver AV-405?

I bought one new in 1993 specifically for biamping. I ran the woofers (JBL 2235H) off the two 100 W outputs and LE-85's + 2405 tweeters of my biamplified L-300 clones. I used an SAE 4000 electronic crossover @ 800 Hz IIRC. It worked quite well. According to the snobby set Carver amps are...
  17. Uncle Paul

''stacked'' film cap??

Maybe not advertised as stacked, but you can specify them if you want. From DigiKey: https://www.digikey.com/products/en/capacitors/film-capacitors/62
  18. Uncle Paul

Newbie looking for "Bi-Amp" help in layman's terms

Read these: http://sound.whsites.net/bi-amp.htm http://sound.whsites.net/bi-amp2.htm
  19. Uncle Paul

Speaker Wire, Gauge, etc.

Also the Rob Elliott write up: http://sound.whsites.net/cablewhitepaper.htm
  20. Uncle Paul

Speaker Wire, Gauge, etc.

You also have to look at inductance as well. The tables I've looked at for solid wire show that as the wire gets thicker the inductance increases. I don't know if stranded wire has more or less inductance than straight wire, but you have to consider all three - is less resistance at the cost of...
  21. Uncle Paul

JBL 4663 Enclosures with Sansui 9090DB Receiver

Personally I think they would be stellar.
  22. Uncle Paul

What Speakers can reproduce all the most difficult sounds properly? Voice Piano etc

Perfect fidelity does not exist, though some will make claims. My current speakers do everything well enough that I'm more focused on just listening to the music.
  23. Uncle Paul

Why did the receiver war of the 70s end?

Also there were other things that competed for our entertainment dollars: Color TV and cable as you mentioned Then came video games Then came 35mm SLR's Then came VCR's Then came the first consumer computers Then came cell phones Etc. Audio manufacturers responded at first by competing BIG...
  24. Uncle Paul

Luxman C-120A , or yamaha b2

They are all great units, but I rephrased the question to which one would I regret the most if I got rid of it.
Back
Top Bottom