Search results

1. howardtheduc

Sansui AU-717 Modern Speaker Recommendations

I do use the -20 dB switch as it's the only way to listen to the DAC but attenuated cables..never thought of that! Hmmm!
  2. howardtheduc

Sansui AU-717 Modern Speaker Recommendations

My speakers barely work with my 717. I have the Cerwin Vega D9,s that came with the Sansui and it's matching tuner; the problem is that they play a little too loudly 1 notch from zero from my DAC. I'm delighted to read some speaker recommends in this thread!
  3. howardtheduc

Sansui AU-717 vs Something New

I got a year out of mine until one channel began to drop.out. I ended up selling it on Bartertown as we have no Techs here that are really dialed into vintage.
  4. howardtheduc

Boston Acoustics A150's msrp?

That site is freaking Awesome! No work will get done today......
  5. howardtheduc

Mine's the wood veneer. I got the 1978 date from several fruitless attempts to google the answer. Some one was wrong I'm guessing! Btw, thanks for the Link to the vintage ads and reviews. I bookmarked it!
  6. howardtheduc

I just picked up some gear last weekend off of local classifieds. I got a Pioneer integrated( SA-9500II), a tuner ( TX9500II) and a pair of Boston Acoustics A150's. Everything works; it all sounds good in my living room but I'm curious as to the msrp of the A150's Everything is contemporary to...
  7. howardtheduc

Yamaha RX-A3060, an impression.

Polk LS-90's for the fronts, Polk RT 800 i's (?) for surrounds and some huge Polk center. I'm not a devotee of Polk but it's just what I've run into locally. I have heard the LS-90's absolutely sing being driven by both a Pioneer SX-727 and an Onkyo M-506RS. Both units were unfixable by local...
  8. howardtheduc

I'm keeping it regardless and I do recall that when I had my ancient RX-V520 my favorite setting was "70 mm General" for music. I will check the model number, will recheck w/ multi-position and most certainly try out PL2 Music!
  9. howardtheduc

Pure direct doesn't seem to improve streaming Spotify and such through my Roku but I chalk that up to the Roku. It does seem to get a lot of sound playing cd's though. Vinyl is just so so but I suspect an external pre amp might improve things here. I might try the Emotiva XPS-1, it's not real...
  10. howardtheduc

I don't hate it but I was surprised by how average the music sounded. My first experience w/ Yamaha was a RX-V520. Music was really good! My second was an RX-V3300 whose home theater sound floored me- but then the volume knob fell off and it no longer worked. I was hoping for that kind of power...
  11. howardtheduc

Short review on this one. Music- not impressed. Video- very impressed! Blu Ray sound tracks- good but in some cases streaming off the Roku sounds way better. Overall, I'll keep it but I " ..Still can't find my way home." ...sound wise. The search for "The" Sound continues!
  12. howardtheduc

Kenwood C2 preamp. Expected issues and got them.

It's for boosting the bass when you are listening at low volume levels.
  13. howardtheduc

No shops are here that are really dialed into vintage audio. I won't say who but I've used more than one that the item went to a thrift or to the landfill after they fixed it and I paid them.
  14. howardtheduc

As for the balance pot, I was never going to touch it but before I could stop the nice gentleman I bought it from, he moved it to show there was nothing wrong with it. "Bet there is now" I remember thinking!
  15. howardtheduc

That will be the first step. I will print off the service manual tomorrow and who knows..that might be all it needs. A good cleaning certainly shouldn't hurt!
  16. howardtheduc

So I bought this yesterday from a really cool retired gentleman. I use the M2A power amp w/ the C1 pre often but have wanted to try the C2 for some time. He demo'd it for me and I thought it sounded a little bright but I blamed the speakers- note to self, never blame the speakers! Anyway, it has...
  17. howardtheduc

Okay. Two channel and Home Theater. It cant be mixed

I just this weekend bought a new home theater receiver; a Sony STR-DN1080 for not much. I wanted something to be sonically tolerable but also be able to pass an hdmi signal from my Xbox One and Xbox 360. My older pioneer could not do that. I've read several reviews starting with What HiFi which...
  18. howardtheduc

Best-Sounding, Most Expensive And You

The worst system I have heard was also the most expensive I have heard. It was a Macintosh power amp/ pre amp combo driving 30000 USD for the pair speakers. It was used as a demo system in a local audio store and I can only describe the sound as going beyond fatiguing into traumatizing! The best...
  19. howardtheduc

Vintage Audio Shops in Denver?

I was reading about them on Yelp yesterday. I do think I will visit!
  20. howardtheduc

Vintage Audio Shops in Denver?

I'm going to be in Denver on and off for a month starting next week. Any recommends on places that repair and sell Vintage ? Any not recommends? Thanks!
  21. howardtheduc

How many of you give back to thrift stores?

I donate fairly regularly but it's stuff that I do not like the sound of or stuff that doesn't work since techs don't seem to be a viable solution here. If I donate something that should never be plugged in, I will cut the cord off and tape a note to it..
  22. howardtheduc

Vintage gear prices today

We are beginning to see some price/ demand slipping here in Salt Lake. We have a healthy Audio enthusiast community but no dedicated serious shops to buy rehabbed vintage from or repair vintage gear that are solidly accepted by the Audio Community. Also, Pickers virtually dominate our Audio...
  23. howardtheduc

Chromecast Audio - Tell us you success stories

It can stream Spotify for sure..including the Free version! I don't know about Tidal. I went premium to test the supposed sound quality improvement. To my ears, premium does sound better but not a lot better. Free sounds pretty good to me.
Back
Top Bottom