Search results

1. ng0k

Need advice on a good (free) anti-spyware program

Win 10 or 11. Keep updates regular. Defender does a good job. Do not click sketchy adds or click bait. No viruses for many years. So my formula is working……….knock on wood.
  2. ng0k

What are you using for photo processing

I'm a jpeg shooter, so destructive editing works best for me. I use FastStone for minor fixes as needed. Affinity Photo if I want to get more creative which isn't often. If a photo needs a lot of work then I just delete it. I use the Fujifilm-X system and get good jpegs out of camera the way...
  3. ng0k

Show Off Your Small Listening Space

I've sold most of my audio gear and minimalized to a small office desktop system. Schitt Magni headphone/preamp to a Rekkr 2w/ch amp to Dali Spektor 1's. BluDento receiver. Using Apple Music and TuneIN (for sports talk radio) from my phone. I've been making an effort to simplify over the...
  4. ng0k

Actual Treble & Bass "Knobs" on the Stereo

I rocked a Yamaha A-S301 for a few years before minimalizing to a small desktop system. Lots of people love the variable loudness. I wanted to like the Yamaha tone controls too, but I didn't, so I had them switched out most of the time.
  5. ng0k

Schiit Fans ?

These days I've minimized audio since moving to a 2 bed villa that is short on dedicated listening room space. I'm now running desktop in my office with a Magni headphone amp/pre into a Rekkr power amp. 2w/ch into a pair of Dali Spektor 1s.
  6. ng0k

best Bluetooth for the home receiver?

BlUDento BLT-2 or the latest version.
  7. ng0k

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Radiohead on Apple Music. Dali Spektor 1 nearfield.
  8. ng0k

Klipsch “bookshelf speaker” question

I have the 600M first gen. From what I've read the 160s sound practically the same. The 600M 2nd gens have filled in the midrange a bit so they measure flatter. Mine are in storage now because one speaker is about a 2 dB down on the tweeter. Probably a QA issue with the crossover or...
  9. ng0k

building 2 systems.

I'm a little late to the party here, but a set of the CBM-170SE is a good budget choice if the room isn't too large. I use them in my home office system (12x12 room) and they sound better in that setting than my other sets that were significantly more expensive. The bass ports are small so...
  10. ng0k

Bookshelf speakers with best bass...

What is good bass? Loud? Tight and melodic? Punchy midbass? It’s hard to recommend speakers. Elac UB5s are 3-ways so the 5.5 inch woofer is dedicated to bass. Those are what I use and really good. Deeper with good texture and a bit forward. I also use Monitor Audios with an 8 inch...
  11. ng0k

How loud is too loud?

65 to 75dB C weighted depending on the genre. Sometimes I dial in loudness compensation for thin sounding stuff like 80’s pop.
  12. ng0k

Radio During the Day or at Night, AM or FM?

AM sports talk weekdays while working from home. Also early AM before the alarm goes off. Very little FM. Spotify is my daily source for music.
  13. ng0k

Is the "measurements only" crowd growing???

For some of us that can't audition speakers with the exception of the big box brands, measurements certainly help narrow down the choices for online purchasing. All of my speakers pretty much sound like they measure with respect to the frequency spectrum.
  14. ng0k

What's your opinion about on-line audio reviewers?

I'm not a big fan of any of the reviewers, but I try to aggregate the objectives and comparatives from them to narrow things down. For speakers I look at the measurements to see if the overall voicing is close to my preferences. I ignore the subjective fluff outside of the overall conclusions.
  15. ng0k

Recommended Modern Speakers

Shout out to the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE. These unassuming homely little vinyl wrapped squarish boxes sound great. Neutral, detailed, accurate with good pace. The bass rolls off below 80Hz or thereabouts, so consider that if bass is important to you. Not an issue for me and I don't use a sub.
  16. ng0k

Who are you using for managed investments?

Fidelity, American Century, self directed 401k and IRAs. Most of it is in broad market index ETFs or MFs. Got out of the individual stocks game a dozen years ago. I sleep at night, for the most part.
  17. ng0k

Headphone amp with parametric eq

Maybe a combo that is still a small footprint? Your source component to a Shiit Loki to a Shiit Magni or a variation thereof depending on the budget.
  18. ng0k

help with adding an external antenna jack for AM reception

I'm not expert but normally they are coupled with some sort of loop. You might try direct coupling by looping turns of insulated wire around the internal bar antenna then those leads would be connected to your new antenna feedline. Good luck experimenting! I saw some options here...
  19. ng0k

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Ascend Acoustics in the office during my work day.
  20. ng0k

First Grado's (325x)

My Grados are my go to. I have SR60s and 125s. Love the sound of the midrange. I don’t use them as often as I should.
  21. ng0k

Pretty sad for Revel speakers

I agree. I have the MA Bronze 100 with the 8" driver. My little Ascend CBM-170SEs have better mids. The MA needs to cross over at a lower frequency thus making the tweeter do more work. The vocals have a slightly high edge to them, whereas the little Ascends are smoother, warmer and more...
  22. ng0k

FM Radio in 2022

I was mostly an FM listener all of my life. My music collection is very very very small because of it. FM programming in my city caters to the least common denominator now and I'm very tired of it. Spotify has become my new FM. I recently took my tuner, CDP, and TT out of my system (rarely...
  23. ng0k

Listening Distance: How far away do you sit?

Main: 10x20 open ended room. I sit 10-12 feet away w/speakers 6 feet apart and 2.5 feet from the wall. I like the music well in front of me. Office: 10x10 room, speakers each side of desk against the wall 8 feet apart toed in 45deg. Nearfield isn't my thing, especially bass, so the ports are...
  24. ng0k

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE bookshelf speakers. I'm waiting on shipping now. Ordered them because of the consensus that they have a great midrange and imaging.
  25. ng0k

Integrated Amps

+1 on the A-S301. It has the variable loudness control which works well to balance out the music depending on the speakers you use and your typical volume levels. Some days you want music with pace, rhythm and dynamics w/beer and nachos - and other days warm, slow, and lush w/ a cigar and...
Back
Top Bottom