Search results

1. nelsress

Consonance Schematics Needed

A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of Consonance Billie 300B mono block amps, the kit version of their M500 mono blocks. With them I also picked up a Consonance Basie tube preamp. It too must have been a kit. None of the three pieces are complete. I can't tell if they were never completed or...
  2. nelsress

What's Up With Stepped Attenuators?

I've tried using them in a few different instances and, frankly, I don't like them and don't understand why others do? It always seems like whatever volume I'm going for is in between two of the steps! What is the supposed advantage of a stepped attenuator or the reason that everyone seems to...
  3. nelsress

Audible Illusions L3B-Anyone heard one yet?

Just wondering if anyone has heard Audible Illusions latest rendition of this line stage, either in your own system or in a friend's system? I'm curious as I made the decision to order one last year and it's supposed to ship to me this week and am really looking forward to inserting it into my...
  4. nelsress

Which case for my 115B?

I've got a Marantz 115B tuner that I'm quite fond of and would like to get a wooden cabinet for it. My usual source of Marantz info, "Marantz's Legendary Audio Classics" website lists two cabinets for this tuner but I don't really think that's correct, I think it's one or the other. Then I...
  5. nelsress

Is This A Crazy Idea? Large Speakers Hanging From Ceiling in Corners

I did a search for hanging speakers from the ceiling and went through the 7 pages of search results but didn't find what I was looking for so decided to throw it out there to the speaker aficionados. I got a pair of speaker enclosures that are approximately 32"x22"x18" that I'm thinking about...
  6. nelsress

Phono Stage Connections

This seems way too basic to be a serious question BUT, I'm not quite sure what to do. Recently I purchased a Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk phono stage that i want to try out. I have a Zu Audio Mission phono IC with ground that I wanted to use between the preamp and the phono stage. Now, can I...
  7. nelsress

Fisher 90T Question

Having had quite a few Fisher 80Ts over the years, I'm a fan, I think the 80 series tuners sound great and the preamp in the 80T, as I understand it, are basically 50cs. Recently I picked up a Fisher 90T tuner/preamp and was wondering if the preamp in the 90T is comparable to any of Fisher's...
  8. nelsress

EV Marquis with Non-typical Crossover

About a month or so ago I got this at an auction. I've seen Marquis speakers before but never saw one with a crossover quite like this one. Have any of you ever seen one like it or do you think it's a one-off, homebrew? I didn't hook it up to anything to see how it sounds yet but I'll be...
  9. nelsress

LG OLED55B6P Mounting Screw Dimensions

Last year I bought the aformentioned TV and have used it on its base. Found a very good deal on a Salamander AV cabinet with a TV mount on it this weekend so we got it. Thinking that the mounting screws for attaching the TV to a wall bracket or top mounted bracket like mine, I went and looked...
  10. nelsress

RCA LC-1 Speaker "bumps"

Does anyone know where I can get those ovoid "bumps" found on RCA LC-1A & LC-1B speakers? A while back I recall that someone was selling them on eBay and I thought they were new, not NOS, as in someone was reproducing them but I'm not totally certain of that. Thanks for any help in my search!
  11. nelsress

Rek-o-kut Rondine 2 with S-320 arm and AP-320 Autopoise

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Rek-o-kut Rondine 2 belt drive turntable with a Rek-o-kut S-320 tonearm and the AP-320 autopoise mechanism. This particular table has a spring-type suspension but it seems to work infinitely better with the deck springs compressed and the deck tightened down...
  12. nelsress

Which deck to keep, Sony K870 ES or KA3 ES?

A friend picked up three cassette decks and asked me to test them for him and for doing that, he said I could have one of them. The decks are the two in the title plus a Sony WA7ESA ES. He got a quad of ADS L700's from me for the cost of the ((8) foam surrounds I replaced and a stereo cabinet...
  13. nelsress

Conrad Johnson PV-6

The power transformer in my CJ PV-6 is arcing and I need to replace it. Do any of you know the specs for the PT so I can try to source one? Thanks in advance for any information. Nelson
  14. nelsress

JBL C61 Sovereign II with S7 Configuration value?

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of JBL C61 Sovereign II speakers with the S7 configuration of drivers, diffuser, and crossover (LE15A, LE85, HL91 & LX5) but don't want to pay more than they're worth in case I don't like them better than my current speakers. The guy has a price in mind...
  15. nelsress

Audioquest tonearm ID

This past September I picked up a VPI HW-19 Mark 4 turntable with an Audioquest tonearm and a Benz Micro cartridge. It's a very nice rig that I've only had a chance to listen to once but was impressed with the sound. The manual for the turntable was included in the sale but there was no info...
  16. nelsress

RCA Hi-Fi Tube Receiver

Somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago I had one of these but at that time was not yet really into the vintage end of hi-fi like I am now. Vintage gear was always "cool", I thought but after trying to find anything out about this unit and with very few connections at the time in audio, I decided...
  17. nelsress

Altec 344a restorations

Before I posted this I did a search here on AK and didn't find too much out about these and nothing about anyone restoring any. I've got a pair of these that I'd like to restore and would appreciate any pointers for problematic issues, mods for sound improvement, etc. In the mean time, I'll...
  18. nelsress

Infinity RS II first listen

A while back I picked up a pair of Infinity RS II speakers at an auction that I've been looking forward to giving a listen. Well yesterday turned out to be a good day to take the RS IIIB's out of the system, move the RS II's in from the garage and hook them up. Now these RS II speakers are as...
  19. nelsress

Unusual cable connectors

My recently found, home brew mono amplifiers have non-standard preamp connection points. There are three pins on the chassis mount in what looks like a Bulgin connector that has large circular threads around the outside. There are three pins inside the plug and a guide pin. Only two of these...
  20. nelsress

EF86 differences

Hey all you tube aficionados, I recently got a pair of excellently made mono block home brew amplifiers that use EF86 tubes in the front end. The amps are somewhat patterned after the Mullard 5-20 circuit. After testing all the tubes that came with it I found the EF86 tubes to both be quite...
  21. nelsress

Most people are looking for "flat"

which I understand, conceptually, but often wished my high end audio equipment allowed me to "unflatten" the sound a bit. Apparently this concept of flat being ideal is much older than I ever imagined as I was reading an article in the November 1946 edition of Radio Craft and this same idea was...
  22. nelsress

Anyone headed to Memphis from the East coast?

I know a pair of ESS AMT 1B floor model speakers that are looking for a ride to Memphis, TN. I can personally vouch for these as extremely trustworthy speakers that will even help with gas money. They're currently staying in Ephrata, PA but their host would be happy to give them a ride to...
  23. nelsress

The Fisher Executive VIII

I got this pretty cool console at a local auction for a friend and am holding it for him for a couple weeks. As you would expect of a 48 year old piece, it needs some TLC but after bringing it up slowly on a variable transformer it appears that the 800c is in good shape as well as the speakers...
  24. nelsress

AR Speaker Surrounds

Recently I picked up a pair of AR 2ax speakers with completely deteriorated woofer surrounds. In the past I have had excellent success purchasing surrounds from looneytune2001 and I was going to go that way again before I saw that there is a seller specializing in all things AR and wondered if...
  25. nelsress

Mitsubishi Diatone DA-P600 Preamp

This weekend I picked up a Mitsubishi Diatone DA-P600 preamp and haven't found too much info on it on the web. It came in a package deal with a Hafler HP-101 which I have heard is decent but I read where some people have called the Mitsubishi the "poor man's Spec 1", which makes it sound like a...
Back
Top Bottom