Search results

1. jdg123

Sansui 5000A low level static

I see a couple in the phono section, yikes! And one in the muting circuit...ironic. I'll eradicate them. It is a lovely receiver. Nothing sounds quite like it. Did someone say it was "single ended, cap coupled"? I know about the cap coupling. I can't identify and have never heard of a...
  2. jdg123

Nail on the head slimecity! I replaced two 2sc458 on the 1041 protector board (with KSC1845) and it is much quieter now. THANKS!
  3. jdg123

Some time back I got a Sansui 5000A in trade...it had one blown channel. I thought I might part it out... I opened it up and wow, you really have to admire the 5000a build quality. I fell in love, so much so that I went all out and cleaned every single solder joint and recapped every...
  4. jdg123

How does this happen?

ggreg, thanks. I was wondering if I was going crazy. It just seemed so...unfair...I had to know that I might not have brought this on myself. cademan, you are right, I Am mostly a parts changer but I am a very careful parts changer. I'm good with an iron. I'm slow and careful and I check...
  5. jdg123

How does this happen?

Hello knowledgeable people. I have a question, how is it that if you do a recap, correctly, everywhere you can still lose the channel? I just had this happen to me recapping a Sony STC-7000. I touched no resistors, I touched no transistors, yet somehow I've lost a channel. Is it the case...
  6. jdg123

Sony STC-7000 data

Hey, I'll add my 2 cents for a repair tip: I put a sewing style cutting board (you can see it in the photo) under my work to save my eXacto blades and bench from blade pass through and fluid drips. 'Great for slicing tape to hold caps while soldering too!
  7. jdg123

Sony STC-7000 data

Your insight is greatly appreciated. Yes, the parts count matches! The best thing about worrisome mistakes is that they have the effect of becoming lasting corrections. I shall take mega pics as is recommended by all and lazily forgotten by me and... New habit is to Not trash parts, in fact...
  8. jdg123

Sony STC-7000 data

I'm trying to upload a pic...not much luck...
  9. jdg123

Sony STC-7000 data

Ut O... I got too confident on this one, looked at board "A" saw that it was populated by all 47uF caps and just pulled them all. The boards had been very well marked up to this point but surprise! There are two unmarked positions of 47uF caps! Did I take pre service photos? No. I'm a...
  10. jdg123

ask someone who's been there... servicing the STC-7000 Sony

Thanks guys. I will take your advice to heart! Now I must say I've done something silly I'll need help with but I'll post that on a new thread. I'd not bother you at all again save my lack of data (this model is a hard one to find info on!)
  11. jdg123

ask someone who's been there... servicing the STC-7000 Sony

I'd like to ask someone who has already done the service on this rare Sony STC-7000...given that mine is working just really, really dirty, should I go ahead and recap any of those boards, A throughF while I am cleaning it up or just leave well enough alone? I would like to put in all new lamps...
  12. jdg123

Sansui Blues - 5000A and AU-919

OK, I have an update :-) Trnfmr, I tried both your recommendations for cap swap. I found the tiny Wima's to be excellent. This is after hearing very good Nichicon KA's in that position so it's a proper A/B test. It Was a challenge to get them in place but worth it: just a bit more clarity on...
  13. jdg123

Outstanding you guys, highly usable input for making things better. Many thanks! I am going to try the very high uF output caps and a change caps on the input board to see what effect appears :-) I'll also start a new thread about the AU-919 and a second on the other tiny things I don't...
  14. jdg123

Sorry for the delay in response... For PSU I did 3300uF/100V and output caps are 2200uF/100V. I stayed with original or very close values for all the other caps. I checked just about every ground I could reach and all are good. Checking bias on the amp seems weird, looking over multiple...
  15. jdg123

Constricted might be too strong a word. Still, this Sansui sounds different than any other amp I've owned, a number approaching 40.
  16. jdg123

Back with an update: been just listening to the unit kinda hoping for some cap break in to release the midrange...it is still constricted. Maybe it is just the cap coupling topology, I don't know, I have never heard a unit this old before :-) I Love the tuner though! It's perhaps the best I...
  17. jdg123

:bowdown:OK, you got through to me. I have been obsessing about what I could have done wrong. I reviewed all my before and after pics. I tested all my grounds. gave the thing a whole body and cavity search for any loose parts and connections and so came to the conclusion I had done nothing...
  18. jdg123

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Hyperion: yes, I think it may be worth the go to try to get them in the hands of a skilled diagnostician. I'll try a separate thread for that. I'm in over my head here. Trnsfmr: I agree that it seems impossible but there it is. I have to admit that...
  19. jdg123

OK guys, I'm just a parts changer. I'm a very careful parts changer. I read up all I can, make extensive lists, maps if you will, to the completion of recapping and up dating of transistors and I go in with the idea that I'll do no harm. Most times I hit the mark and I get a working receiver...
  20. jdg123

good advice

I have been tied up a couple of days but will take this data to heart. I will report back. I am a slow student but diligent :-0
  21. jdg123

good advice

I am using a 60W bulb in my dim bulb tester. I have read as many threads on the AU-919 as I can find, even ones just tangential. The one best bit of advice, to test boards as you replenish them, is hard to enact unless they mean that one should tear down the amp, fix one board and reconstruct...
  22. jdg123

good advice

Just to report: dim bulb tested it for 15 seconds...the bulb never went dim, protect relay never disengaged (no click). Sadness...
  23. jdg123

good advice

OK. I have and use one but only (so far) after I have found the problem and as a precaution. So it seems it is the only way to check ones' work...to see if the problem was solved... I know the protection circuit/relay takes about 11 seconds to click in; if the bulb does not then immediately...
  24. jdg123

good advice

I'm back...having replaced all the transistors on the power board 2839 (as well as all the electrolytics everywhere and all black flags)... but I'm hesitating to try the start up and adjustments! Which boards are done first? An other scary thing: I have yet to find a bad transistor save the...
  25. jdg123

good advice

I don't know why that resister cooked. It is the only thing I saw was bad when doing the recap. Many things can let out their magic smoke without leaving behind evidence I guess. I'll have to keep going backwards as you suggest until I find something else wrong and assume the up stream then...
Back
Top Bottom