Search results

1. mac mini

Magnepan LRS and LRS+ Tips, Tricks and Mods

Please let us know how you like them. I try to buy American and might be willing to give them a try.
  2. mac mini

Los Angeles based music. What’s your favorites???

Los Lobos, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, Spirit
  3. mac mini

Looking for an expert on old vinyl

"Edit: I have no idea why 90% of the media I find for sale is Ray Coniff." Thanks for the laugh. My parents' Ray Coniff album was next to the Pete Fountain, "Mr Stickman". I wish I still had them to give them a twirl.
  4. mac mini

Schiit Fans ?

Looks like I might be able to stuff two Tyrs into my "credenza". How warm do they run at lower volumes? I can run the Vidar with cabinet closed. Do you think I could hear a difference between Vidar and Tor at lower volumes, i.e. 70 db?
  5. mac mini

Schiit Fans ?

Looks great! Will you be using the Tyr standby buttons or will you power up/down completely vis the Furman?
  6. mac mini

Happy Birthday pmsummer!

Happy birthday. Hoping you're enjoying listening to some Jefferson Airplane on your Cornwalls.
  7. mac mini

anyone live in Madison Ohio that can pick up and ship a Multimeter to me

Buy a used fluke 87. It will last a lifetime. Sometimes the display will ghost but it can be addressed.
  8. mac mini

Connection issues with Schiit Audio DAC

I use a Schitt Eitr which is a USB to SPDIF converter to connect my older Adcom DAC which doesn't have USB input. . The other day my Mac mini would not recognize it. I tried multiple restarts of the computer. I turned power off and on to the Eitr using the Eitr's power switch. I removed...
  9. mac mini

Best Cover Song?

That Song About the Midway, performed by (and owned) by Bonnier Raitt, written by Joni Mitchell. The man cheating on the midway (on Mitchell ) was David Crosby.
  10. mac mini

All-Clad d3 cookware alternatives

I have an induction stove and use Vollrath cookware. It's industrial strength commercial cookware that isn't expensive. It's not shiny like All-Clad, it is satin. Great stuff.
  11. mac mini

I have to confess, I played with my Tone Controls

I'm a Schiit fanboy and bought the Loki equalizer. I didn't like it all. Also bought Rane 24 band equalizer and didn't like that either. All my music is on my computer (mac mini > audirvana > audio unit 1 > Schiit Gunnir dac > Schitt Freya preamp > Rotel power amp > Vandersteen speakers and...
  12. mac mini

Might be time for a pre-amp

I've had mine going on three years without problem. I don't always run it with the tubes - you have to physically remove them to use it this way. If there is a reliability problem I would think heat is a contributing factor. You can buy the Freya and Saga without the tube option for less...
  13. mac mini

Might be time for a pre-amp

Schiit Freya S or Schist Saga S are JFET. I own the Freya and recommend it. You can choose between passive, active JFET, active tube. I've owned Rotel and Adcom preamps and prefer the Schiit. I also owned a Nikko Beta 1 but don't have a memory that I can compare to the Schiit. The Nikko...
  14. mac mini

Can idler induced rumble damage vinyl?

No. But dragging a diamond over your LP might. Just something to think about.
  15. mac mini

If you are using Apple or iTunes for music or ANYTHING, beware!

As you can probably tell by my name I am a fan boy of Apple. However, I am not comply oblivious to its possible invasiveness. Therefore at all times in front of my mac mini I insulate myself by tucking tin foil in my underwear. Be safe out there! And don't worry about Google or artificial...
  16. mac mini

Where to start?

This is how I do it. CD's > Mac Mini (apple lossless) >Audir > DAC or Qobuz > Audir> DAC. Either way is Redbook 44.1 16 bit quality minimum. Some of Qobuz offerings are higher bit rates, higher frequency. I believe the original recording quality is more important. I really prefer Audir...
  17. mac mini

Rotel Preamplifier RC-1070 Kaput

I walked across the carpet last winter after charging myself up petting my dog. I discharged myself onto the volume knob of my preamplifier. The spark was truly impressive. It hasn't worked since. The original failure mode was no output. Several LED' s on the display were half lit. I found...
  18. mac mini

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Empire 598 type ii Troubadour! Perfect for Time Out.
  19. mac mini

Finally got an invite to Qobuz except the desktop app sucks!

I run a mac mini 10.11.6. I installed the app and it supposedly was delivering music at 44.1 KHz 16 bit. It sounded bad. And when in the application if I moved the mouse the music would stumble. I then opened it in Audirvana which I use to play my library and it sounds great. I should...
  20. mac mini

Topping D30 / S.M.S.L SU8 / Schiit Modi 3

Buy both and make the judgement yourself. The Topping you can return for no price penalty if you buy on Amazon. You will pay a restock fee for return of Schist. Personally I would buy the Schist because there probably isn't much difference, and I live in the USA. If you do buy both, and you...
  21. mac mini

Powering up unused SS amps periodically?

Can't hurt, and probably a good idea. Excuse me, I have to go out to my garage and turn over the piston in my of generator. It hasn't been used too much since Y2K....
  22. mac mini

What tv show are you currently binging?

Peter Gunn on Amazon Prime. I really enjoy the black / white cinematography. The matter of fact brutality is a bit strange. The opening scene is almost always a strangulation, bludgeoning, or shooting. But as viewers we push over the hump and accept it.
  23. mac mini

So confused!

I'll use my system as an example. I have 35 days worth of music on CD's. They are all loaded on my hard drive which is a Mac Mini computer. When I buy a new CD it is downloaded to the computer and then placed in the closet. To playback the music I use I-Tunes (which is free and comes on...
Back
Top Bottom