Search results

1. cptnCanada

Look what showed up on my doorstep...

It's unfortunate there is not much love for these anymore. Around my neck of the woods an unrestored radio like that goes for less than $50 and the restored ones just wither away on Kijiji even at a couple hundred bux. They really are a thing of beauty
  2. cptnCanada

Does the tone of a tube amp change during the day

I definitely experience this and it seems early morning it is the cleanest. I have always attributed it to RF noise coming in from the mains
  3. cptnCanada

What is that black stickey stuff on accordion surrounds?

Thanks for the tips folks, I think I'll go ahead with just regular PVA glue watered down first, if that doesn't work I'll try the Aileen's with a backing. Will post some after shots when it's done
  4. cptnCanada

I am now thinking maybe I should try a less aggressive repair first before I go the rubber route, these speakers are Pioneer PAX-30b and were never treated with anything on the surrounds from the factory. I've attached a pic that shows the damage. I am thinking maybe a spot repair from the...
  5. cptnCanada

I have some old full range speakers with accordion surrounds that look like they are starting to get "felty," probably from 60 years of excursion. I am thinking of applying a rubber product like you see on a lot of newer accordion surrounds to prolong their useful life. I realize this will...
  6. cptnCanada

1965 Sherwood stereo console info

Don't be so quick to discard the speakers if they are stiff. They can easily be brought back to life! Take them out and hook them up to a solid state amplifier playing bass heavy music or a sine wave for 24-48 hours and they will break back in.
  7. cptnCanada

Bogen Mo-30 amps

I have never had a Bogen I didn't like, and they came out with some really fascinating designs in their golden era. I don't know why they don't command the same prices as the more famous brands. They sound, and are built just as good or in some cases better. I would love for a pair of HO-10...
  8. cptnCanada

Help needed with DC filament circuit on Bogen DB230a

Solved! Pretty easy and I am surprised I didn't check this earlier but I had the leads to pins 4 and 5 reversed. I didn't think it would matter because two tubes are wired opposite in the schematic from the others. I guess the current draws must be different and was throwing things off...
  9. cptnCanada

Here are the schematic voltages with the tubes removed
  10. cptnCanada

So with the tubes removed from that string I am getting 14v from 4-9 and 0v from 5-9. This seems odd I also measured the AC at the pt secondary. I am getting 21v AC which is slightly lower than schematic and from centre tap I am getting an even 10.5 from both sides so it appears to be ok I...
  11. cptnCanada

That's Bogen for ya, never the easy way Good thought about a possible short in one of the tubes. I'll pull em and retake measurements. I am hoping for something that easy, and not a bad winding in the pt.
  12. cptnCanada

Hello all, I am at a standstill on getting this circuit to act properly in my Bogen DB230a. The problem circuit is for the DC heaters for a string of preamp tubes. I have replaced the selenium with two high current diodes as well as all the resistors in this circuit and they all are within...
  13. cptnCanada

Best single ended tube amps

Would like to see all of your vintage single ended tube amps. I have various PP vintage amps and a Viking (electrohome) SE console pull that I converted to standalone. There is something magic about single ended that makes me smile. Were there any non console SE tube amps ever built...
  14. cptnCanada

Question about rebuilding power supply on Bogen DB-230a

Ill plan on cleaning up the sloppyness of the previous work, just wondering if those caps are knows for being reliable as they appear to be as vintage as the amp
  15. cptnCanada

Thanks for all the help folks, got the diode situation all sorted out, now moving on to coupling caps. Someone has been in here before and replaced about a third of them. They used original (as in first vintage) Sprague orange drop to couple the 6DW5 outputs, I think I'll keep them in there to...
  16. cptnCanada

Thanks guys I think I am understanding it now. There is also thea selenium rectifier for the bias. On this circuit since we want negative voltage, the cathode of the diode would go towards the transformer?
  17. cptnCanada

So for a 1N4007 I would attach the anodes to the transformer winding and the cathodes (indicated by the white band on the diode) would connect to the resistors? Or am I still getting that backward?
  18. cptnCanada

Recently acquired this nice Bogen DB-230a with the 6DW5 output tubes. Seems to be a nicely built 60 watt integrated. Currently replacing the selenium heater rectifier with 1N4007 diodes. The schematic has me confused as the little +/- symbols beside the diodes contradict with the direction the...
  19. cptnCanada

What are these high end Canadian speakers

Impressive detective work folks! Looks like we are getting somewhere. I popped out a woofer from the other side and low and behold it says "sample no 2360" on the magnet. This goes with my hypothesis that these were a limited production or one off pair.
  20. cptnCanada

Interesting. All I am finding by searching Einklang speaker is German single driver speakers. (Einklang is German for Harmony) My gut is telling me they must have been made by someone connected to one of the big Canadian manufactures, maybe a prototype of sorts and branded "Lagance" last...
  21. cptnCanada

I got these from a local auction house for a very small amount on money. I think they went for cheap because there is absolutely not a single piece of information online about them. The badge says "Lagance" and there is a sticker on the bottom that says "Hiais". The xover says Einklang EA&AE...
  22. cptnCanada

The "Members Only" Riaa Tube preamp. Gets a walnut cabinet)

Nice! I am starting to get the bug to build a nice preamp so I will be watching this closely.
  23. cptnCanada

Meet my friend Rusty the Fisher KM-60 Tuner

Love seeing these rusty boat anchors restored. More pics please
  24. cptnCanada

Most common album at yard sales, thrift stores

I’d be gambling if I were to say you wouldn’t come across a Kenny Rogers or two in the bins up here.
  25. cptnCanada

Picked up an eico 666 tube tester. Now a question.

I havent seen Conrads settings yet, that is perfect! I figured it had something to do with the mis-printed Eico settings.
Back
Top Bottom