Search results

1. cptnCanada

What is that black stickey stuff on accordion surrounds?

I have some old full range speakers with accordion surrounds that look like they are starting to get "felty," probably from 60 years of excursion. I am thinking of applying a rubber product like you see on a lot of newer accordion surrounds to prolong their useful life. I realize this will...
  2. cptnCanada

Help needed with DC filament circuit on Bogen DB230a

Hello all, I am at a standstill on getting this circuit to act properly in my Bogen DB230a. The problem circuit is for the DC heaters for a string of preamp tubes. I have replaced the selenium with two high current diodes as well as all the resistors in this circuit and they all are within...
  3. cptnCanada

Best single ended tube amps

Would like to see all of your vintage single ended tube amps. I have various PP vintage amps and a Viking (electrohome) SE console pull that I converted to standalone. There is something magic about single ended that makes me smile. Were there any non console SE tube amps ever built...
  4. cptnCanada

Question about rebuilding power supply on Bogen DB-230a

Recently acquired this nice Bogen DB-230a with the 6DW5 output tubes. Seems to be a nicely built 60 watt integrated. Currently replacing the selenium heater rectifier with 1N4007 diodes. The schematic has me confused as the little +/- symbols beside the diodes contradict with the direction the...
  5. cptnCanada

What are these high end Canadian speakers

I got these from a local auction house for a very small amount on money. I think they went for cheap because there is absolutely not a single piece of information online about them. The badge says "Lagance" and there is a sticker on the bottom that says "Hiais". The xover says Einklang EA&AE...
  6. cptnCanada

Picked up an eico 666 tube tester. Now a question.

Just picked up a really nice Eico 666 tube tester. Long over due purchase, this is my first tester. I have downloaded the latest coletronics chart set and promptly started measuring tubes. My question is..for example, when I measure 12ax7 tubes, they are all measuring around 40. This would...
  7. cptnCanada

I needed another tube amp like a hole in my head, but..

Got this locally on kijiji in Canada for a decent price. Fisher 500b. The guy I got it from knew nothing about tube equipment, and he probably found it in the trash or something, but aside from the case and brass knob caps, it is actually in fantastic cosmetic condition. Two of the output...
  8. cptnCanada

Latest restoration project Heathkit AA-32

Picked up this little beauty locally for a small sum of dollars. Owner that I purchased it from never plugged it in. Is complete with a blown fuse. Tubes are Mullard 6GW8, and the 6EU7 tubes have the lettering wore off. A little bit rusty on the chassis and trafos, but should be a pretty...
  9. cptnCanada

Could I modify this EL84 amp to make a headphone amp?

Looking at this cheap Chinese amp that could make a fun project to turn into a headphone amp. My question is, would it be possible to add a headphone output that would sound good and still allow the amp to run with the proper load on the OPT with no speakers attached...
  10. cptnCanada

Got me a rusty old Marantz model 8 to restore

Picked up a Marantz Model 8 in absolutely horrible physical condition. Looks like it has been sitting in a unconditioned storage shed for the last 30 years. Lots of surface rust, dented chassis, missing transformer cover, cutoff power cord, missing fuse holder, etc. Underneath it looks to have...
  11. cptnCanada

Scored a Viking console from GW

Saw this sitting in goodwill the other day. I always see old consoles in there but they are always crappy solid state 70's units. I opened the lid on this and to my surprise, no "solid state" writing! Further inspecting the rear I could faintly see glass bottles sitting in there. For $10 I...
  12. cptnCanada

My Bogen DB-10's are rebuilt, but what is going on here?

I completely rebuilt my 1950 Bogen DB-10 6V6 amps and they are working great and sound fantastic*. The small power trannies can get pretty hot after an hour or so, gotta check the line voltage at home to see if that is contributing. *I did a couple frequency sweeps of the amps and the results...
  13. cptnCanada

Need opinions on some mod ideas for my Bogen DB10

I am getting close to ordering the parts to my Bogen DB10 6V6 amp to do the rebuild and maybe some mods. I also have a second amp on the way so it will be receiving the same mods. Have a look at the attached schematic. I have highlighted in red what I plan on doing. Since this is my first...
  14. cptnCanada

Are coupling caps required on the inputs?

Im restoring my Bogen DB10 6V6 tube amp and it has coupling caps coming from the inputs before the first stage. Are these necessary these days? My preamp is solid state so I don't think it will be passing DC. Do modern designs use coupling caps in the inputs?
  15. cptnCanada

Picked up this little guy

This came across the local classifieds this weekend for a reasonable price. I have never used tubes in hifi (aside from phono pre), only guitar amps where I think they sound fantastic there. Its a Bogen DB10-1 Mono 6V6pp amp. Tubes are 6SC7, 6SF5, 6SL7GT, 6V6GT x2, and 5Y3GT rectifier. The...
  16. cptnCanada

Direct to disc

I just picked up today a record by the late 70's synth band FM called "direct to disc" Apparently when they recorded it, it was the entire band playing in the studio, and instead of recording to a tape and mixing later it was cut on the lathe right there on the spot. I really like the...
  17. cptnCanada

picked up a tube console from GW today

Liked the looks of this one and was happy to see tubes in the back. It is made by Electrical Products Manufacturing Ltd. Montreal. Speaker is missing but it looks to be complete otherwise. Is this something worth restoring? I can do the work my self. For the price of a fast food lunch I had...
  18. cptnCanada

Marantz 1080DC preamp problem

Marantz 1180DC preamp problem I have recently been given an absolutely beautiful Marantz 1180DC integrated. The family member that gave it to me purchased it at a garage sale a number of years ago and never got around to hooking it up. It is almost flawless, only a couple small paint chips in...
  19. cptnCanada

Need help with Kenwood KR-4200

I recently picked up a nice condition Kenwood KR-4200 that is having a relay issue. The speaker protection relay is clicking off at random intervals. I have hooked up my multimeter to the speaker inputs to the relay and am getting a stable reading of 18mv, even when the relay clicks off...
  20. cptnCanada

Would this be possible with my Marantz CRS-4000?

I have a Marantz CRS-4000 Superscope Boombox that I am re-capping. I also want to upgrade the speakers as this will be my go-to-portable-music-system. Today I decided to measure the frequency response and was surprised by what I saw. Frequency response: Basically from 125Hz - 7KHz...
  21. cptnCanada

Adding pre out/power in to tube amp

I am trying to design a system in my head that would work with the open baffle speakers I am currently building. I am bi-amping the speakers and will be running the low end with SS and the top end with tube. How hard is it, or is it even possible, to add a pre out/power in to an integrated...
  22. cptnCanada

My Open Baffle Journey

So, in addition to my other thread in the Speaker forum on my Open Baffle Epiphany, I thought I would create one showing the build process of my open baffle speakers from start to finish. My goal is to have a flat response across the audio spectrum using the open baffle concept. I have...
  23. cptnCanada

Open Baffle Epiphany!

So its -25 Celcius and the car wont start so of course I started messing around with my gear and came up with what I can only call an epiphany! I took a pair of Foster (Fostex) FE103 alnicos with Planet-10-HIFI phase plugs that I had lying around and decided to cut up a left over cardboard...
  24. cptnCanada

Baby Marantz 2010 rescued from the rain!

Driving around the other day I came across this little baby Marantz sitting by the curb in the pouring rain. I did a U-turn and snatched it up. After a couple days of drying out I plugged it in, checked the DC-offset and she fired right up. It seems to be working pretty decently minus a...
Back
Top Bottom