Search results

1. aidanhunter

Magnepan MG-1 Rebuild Questions

Corrosion on the magnets? That seems odd - I'd be curious to see a picture. To follow up on my pair, though, I was able to get a hold of Magnepan after leaving a voicemail. They sold me rebuild kits for each wire and two new socks. Was $205 shipped. I got the rebuild done. It was a...
  2. aidanhunter

Magnepan MG-1 Rebuild Questions

Isaac C. did you make any progress? I just purchased a pair of MG-1's that are in need of some attention. Both have bad tweeter wires and one has a bad mid/bass wire. I tried calling Magnepan but their service/parts kept going to voicemail.
  3. aidanhunter

Fisher Model ST-650 Speaker System

Just picked these up at a Salvation Army. I cannot find a single thing on these speakers other than the attached thread. No pictures, no specs, nothing. I plugged them into my Marantz 2270 and they actually sound quite good! They're big and heavy, like a good speaker should be. Does anyone...
  4. aidanhunter

Late 2270 Serial Number

Is yours a multi-volt model?
  5. aidanhunter

Late 2270 Serial Number

What is your serial number?
  6. aidanhunter

Late 2270 Serial Number

Hi all, I know it's common knowledge around here that there are about 85,000 2270's out there. I was under the impression that all 2270's had a sequential serial number. However, I just came across one that is serial number U471054. Inside, it's marked "471054" and the production date is "76...
  7. aidanhunter

Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

I just picked up 2270 S/N 1464. It is champagne engraved, has no diffuser paper behind the tuner meters, and has the golden chassis. However, this one appears to be a multi-volt model. How many champagne engraved multi-volt 2270's are out there? Also, I want to point out another detail...
  8. aidanhunter

Marantz 2270 Slow to Click in...sometimes

Bias creeps around. That's why service manuals say for you to set it after the amp has been turned on for awhile. 2270 bias is particularly flaky though. There's a good thread on this topic here. Read this and try to understand it...
  9. aidanhunter

Marantz 2270 Slow to Click in...sometimes

I'll chime in here and mention that I've had a very similar issue with a 2270 before. H809 and H810 had very low gains compared to what they should be, and replacing them each with KSC2383 remedied my problem. I'm currently restoring one right now and was looking for a good sub for H806. I...
  10. aidanhunter

Marantz 2385e - no power cord, no voltage switch

I gotta agree with Bob on this one. The best thing to do would be to wait until a doner transformer shows up. I'll come back to this one that happens!
  11. aidanhunter

That value for diameter is completely wrong. Apparently I need to re-learn how to read a ruler. Actual diameter is as Bob stated - 5 5/8"
  12. aidanhunter

Both primaries are shorted.
  13. aidanhunter

I just checked the bridge rectifiers and dual caps. No shorts. I also checked the output transistors I could reach with the probes without taking the assembly apart. No issues there either. My original theory was that someone thought they'd bypass the voltage switch and soft start relay to...
  14. aidanhunter

I read them. I can wait till Monday :)
  15. aidanhunter

Yes, mine is the euro 2385 transformer with dual primaries. Yes, I have the service manual and 75V is the DC rail voltage. For the transformer fabrication guys, that doesn't help them. They need to know the AC voltage coming right off the secondaries and the service manual does not list...
  16. aidanhunter

I'm measuring mine and I'm getting 6 11/16 inches diameter and 5 1/2 height. Maybe the euro transformer is bigger? Edit: That diameter is completely wrong. It's 5 5/8"
  17. aidanhunter

First of all I was not expecting this much interest in this! It's been brought to my attention that there's a place in Michigan that builds custom transformers. I talked to them and they may be able to rebuild mine and put it in the original transformer case. They want to know what the...
  18. aidanhunter

I worked with BK and Bob on this one. It was to the point where we had all secondary wires detached and a DBT hooked directly to transformer primaries. It's definitely shorted :(
  19. aidanhunter

I regret to inform the community that after disconnecting all secondary transformer wires, it has been confirmed that the transformer is shorted. It will fully illuminate the 200W bulb I'm using with my DBT.
  20. aidanhunter

Also, I tried pulling all connectors on the power amp board and it's still shorting.
  21. aidanhunter

Time for an update! First of all, thanks to Bob for helping in the sourcing of parts for this receiver. It now has an OEM European power cord and OEM voltage switch. After looking closely at the schematic to get all of the wires hooked back up, I hooked the 2385 up to my DBT and nothing...
  22. aidanhunter

Replacement Transistor for 2SD315

I ended up using an On-Semi TO-220, available on mouser. NPN and PNP are MJE15032G and MJE15033G, respectively.
  23. aidanhunter

Hi everyone, My most recent craigslist "score" was a Marantz 2385. It had been posted for half an hour and I just happened to be on CL at that time. Pure luck! As the thread title states, the ad was indeed for a broken 2385. The story behind this one is that the seller's friend had it in a...
  24. aidanhunter

Hallo-Fi Electronics

There are audio groups on Facebook where he's showing off the rebuild thread for that sansui receiver on his website to get more new customers. Now we have a look into what actually happened behind all the nice pictures and verification report...
  25. aidanhunter

Marantz 1040 owners: do you get insane amounts of "cross talk" between inputs?

By cross talk I mean you can hear the signal going to one input if the selector is set to a different input. I've heard quiet cross talk on receivers before but this, to me, seems pretty loud. I just did a full restoration on mine and don't know if it did this prior to me working on it. It's a...
Back
Top Bottom