Search results

1. H

Bulging Cap?

I would replace that cap because it is bulging/failing and all the other electrolytics because they are probably not far behind (manufacturers choice does not seem to be the best: what brand are the caps?). For tube circuits most recommend 105 degree C caps to better survive the heat (a lot of...
  2. H

Unusual Estate Sale Webcor Reel to Reel

There may be a schematic and tube location chart inside. It shouldn't be too hard to open up as they were made to be serviceable since they run on tubes and occasionally need replacement. The "bolt on" solid state AM radio is interesting. I don't know that model, but the Webcor I have has a...
  3. H

Mitsubishi DA-A15DC Amp Score

??? I am greener than the Hulk with envy!!! Tell us you paid more and just put that price sticker on to tease us. That has one heck of a power supply. Nice score. What do you think of the sound?
  4. H

Remember WLS??

I picked them up 60 miles south of Nashville in the evenings when I was in elementary school in the mid 70's. Mix of rock, pop and disco. I remember people calling in their requests and the "Boogy Check". "Boogy check, boogy check, ooh, aah, boogy check, ...!". Of course the signal would...
  5. H

Why does nodoby seem to use reverse-biased diodes on chokes?

The sudden change in current (di/dt) causes the spike, and it can hurt if you are the path of least resistance! With the choke you have changes in current that aren't so instantaneous, especially if the cap values are decent and there shouldn't be a sudden collapse of the inductor field...
  6. H

Help id speakers please

I feel like this is probably a really stupid question, but weren't most speakers from the late 60's/early 70's built with the ruffled cloth surround and not foam. I am referring to the inexpensive Japanese models, not the higher level ones. And for that matter, how many KLHs or JBLs, EVs, ...
  7. H

New Egg Has A Great Deal on Some Surface Tablets

What is Microsoft's long-term plan for Surface RT? Since it is on an ARM processor and not an x86 processor it does not have the program base that the more expensive Surface tablets have. I hear rumblings that the Surface RT may not be around too long?!
  8. H

Vintage TV's are worth money

I remember reading somewhere that the phosphors on the first models were different and gave better colors but they were impractical for making more affordable sets and the recipe was changed to give the sets that we all remember. I have never seem an original rca set to know for sure. Anyway...
  9. H

Jazz Fiends I Need Your Help

Don't like Miles Davis? Which album? "Kind of Blue" isn't avante garde and many feel it is a good start. I do not enjoy his stuff from the mid/late 60's and on as much, but he has some very "accessible" material from the mid 50's to mid 60's. What sort of music do you listen to? That...
  10. H

Pioneer SX-34 tube receiver

Since other sources are coming through both channels fine I would start with the source selector switch and use some contact cleaner or DeOxit. Also clean the RCA jacks outside ring and inside ring where the plug goes. They are probably cheap aluminum ones. But switches are usually the...
  11. H

Stereophile readers

Wadia DAC from the early 90's if I remember correctly. They had to wait on the test lab so played it first and loved it. On testing in the lab thought the low level linearity could be better. When Wadia was asked why they didn't do a better job there, Wadia's answer was (paraphrased) "We...
  12. H

CORNBREAD love my cornbread

Isn't corn bread like corn tortillas: WHOLE GRAIN! So we can eat it with a little less guilt, even if it is loaded with starch and carbs. ;) Wife adds some fresh, shredded coconut and touch of vanilla, cinnamon and it goes great with coffee anytime of the day. I like the idea of a little...
  13. H

OPINIONS PLEASE: Sony SCD-CE595 as transport?

The part about the laser working is a big thing. I have had a couple of "used" Sony players from that pricerange and if the laser worked when I first brought them home, it didn't last long or was flaky enough that I didn't use it long. Also not sure if they are true DSD like Sony's more...
  14. H

ADS-L710--are these surrounds foam or butyl?

Looks like rubber and much nicer than the 410s that I have. Did you get them? Rubber can still crack, dry out or rot but seems more durable.
  15. H

Jazz for a Beginner

I started with Brubeck's Time Out and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. Have quite of few of both performers' albums now. There are some jazz top 100 lists on the internet that give you a good list to start with. I think that jazz100 list is pretty good and gives you some of the best from different...
  16. H

My 1980 Pioneer Syscom component stereo

Not complete without the timer! How many of us had a Pioneer timer in our stereos at some time? I had a couple throughout the years. Was there a sound expander in that series? Unfortunately CD wasn't out yet, but the Sony takes care of that and the equipment is in excellent physical...
  17. H

My first Kenwood

That is one sweet, FIRST Kenwood! Amp looks to be separate right down to the power transformers. Nice. Don't know if the preamp uses a single power supply or separates?! Not the recap expert so can't answer the question, but others here will probably give you their real world experience. As...
  18. H

Koss HV/1LC restoration

I have some LV-10s that I picked up from the Goodwill "surplus" store, where the unsellables go to be sold by the pound and after buying replacement foam from Koss ($5 a pad, a little pricey, but nice that it is still available) and some cleaning I really like the sound. Even work with my...
  19. H

Duration of capacitor charge

You need to discharge the DC power supply inside the component and that doesn't usually route to the outside world so I don't think grounding the chassis would do much. Also, don't forget that "discharged" capacitors can still have some charge inside them and when the discharge device is...
  20. H

What I found today ....

BTW, Micro Seiki website has the owner's manual. Don't even have to go to vinyl engine!
  21. H

What I found today ....

Oh man, you scored BIG TIME. And doesn't Pawn America have a 30 day guarantee? (not that you should use it!) The ones that I have been to do (if I remember correctly). Don't know how they let it get away, but make sure you don't. I feel my face turning Hulk green with envy. Those pawn...
  22. H

Audiophile gear

No, it's a dream: no amplifier so you don't actually have to listen to it! And the cassette appears to be auto-reverse. An audiophile would have nothing less than that. Not enough flashing lights though. Kind of sedate for a true audiophile.:D
  23. H

Finally got Adcom GFA-545ii but have a question.

They want you to warm up the output transistors and make sure that the offset is good once warmed up. Don't worry about that until you find out why the offset is 1V. Did you ever see it in action or bought it "as-is"? May have to pull out the DMM and work your way through the circuit looking...
  24. H

Finally got Adcom GFA-545ii but have a question.

Sounds a bit off (understatement). Does it drift to those voltages or just sort of stay there? BTW, if it is like the original 545, there is no speaker relay so even after turning it off it can still put a signal out of the speaker jacks until the power supply bleeds down. Just a warning...
  25. H

BPC score!

2 things to watch out for on the Denon that could go wrong (and be blamed on the laser). 1. Load/Unload belt stretches and the mechanism doesn't fully engage 2. Felt on top CD clamp gets "flattened" and CD slips I have had both happen on my old 1500 MkII and replacing the belt and felt fixed...
Back
Top Bottom