Search results

1. DonQuixote99

Realistic Nova 8b Rebuild & Crossover Re-Design

Thanks, appreciate the clarification.
  2. DonQuixote99

Am I correct in thinking that the AC frequency determines how many times a second the speaker moves in and out?
  3. DonQuixote99

Magnavox 750 Plus, bonehead error suspected

I can't say now. Some problem manifested that I never solved, it hung around the place for years and then sold cheap. Do not recall what the problem was. I'd say if cheap enough it's good enough to see if basic tlc will render it usable for in the shop.
  4. DonQuixote99

It is damned likely that you know more about grounds and amplifier output stages than I do. But speakers operate on AC, which is my main point. I always assumed the amp did not change the 60 cycle alternating frequency as supplied, but I don't know everything....
  5. DonQuixote99

Speakers run on AC at 60 cycles per second. It would not matter which wire was connected to + or - if you were just using one speak on a mono system. It has no relation to trumpet sounds. Speakers do not imitate the blowing (or sucking?) of air in a wind instrument, they use electric transducers...
  6. DonQuixote99

Optimus T-70 Wins Battle of Bostons

Just reviewed this thread, there was a little new traffic, and I saw the OP contains a set of files I hosted on Photobucket. They now bear unsightly watermarks, and may go away altogether. So I just uploaded those pics to an album here. So here's the photo documentation of my T-70 find in 2013...
  7. GEDC4178.JPG

GEDC4178.JPG

T-70's as found
  8. GEDC5386.JPG

GEDC5386.JPG

T-70 wins A/B test with Boston A-60s
  9. GEDC4186.JPG

GEDC4186.JPG

T-70 crossover
  10. GEDC5389.JPG

GEDC5389.JPG

T-70s as HT and stereo mains
  11. Radio Shack Optimus T-70 speakers

Radio Shack Optimus T-70 speakers

12. GEDC4182.JPG

GEDC4182.JPG

view with woofer removed
  13. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

I got an all-in-one solder melter and suction gadget, the Parts Express #370-325 mentioned her previously. Seems to have done the trick! Initially got very small diameter hole, but my ugly paper-clip-on-a-soldering-iron tool then worked to enlarge. New part soldered-on on, it remains only to...
  14. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

Hakko or Pace units would be very nice to have I'm sure, if I did this sort of thing all the time and got paid to do it. For my one-off job, let me put it this way: I can buy a whole refurbished board for this TV for $50.00, an option I am getting closer to exercising all the time....
  15. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

OK. How would you do that?
  16. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

By putting more solder on the bottom side and heating with iron, I am able to melt what's inside, at least enough that solder will flow through and come out on other side. I've not been able to clear hole even so. The solder hardens instantly when I remove the iron, so neither toothpick nor...
  17. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

Near as I can tell, it's single layer, circuits on top and bottom only.
  18. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

All seemed fine. Problem with this device was mechanical--the flapper door that serves to hold the inserted optical cable in position had broken.
  19. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

OK, that's what I wanted, some rationale for what's been happening. So we need a blob of solder and the tip of actual soldering iron with it's excellent thermal mass to melt the plug. Then try toothpick or solder sucker.
  20. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

The tip of the paper clip melts fresh solder off the roll like crazy. That's 60/40 lead stuff.
  21. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

I can't get over the feeling that my hot paper clip ought to melt its way through. Either heat transfer is not occurring, or there is now non-meltable stuff in the holes. Can that happen?
  22. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

Sucker won't work unless you melt the solder. That's what I can't seem to do.
  23. DonQuixote99

Plugged Holes in PCB

A classic noob problem I'm sure. I've solderd discrete stuff like crossovers like crazy but haven't messed with PCBs much. Pictured is I/O board from TV. Removed a bad toslink jack from it but wound up with four plugged holes. Cleared two with the lashup shown on a 40 watt soldering iron, or its...
  24. DIY

DIY

Pictures of work and process
  25. 20231110_111945.jpg

20231110_111945.jpg

Toslink jack location bottom
Back
Top Bottom